Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Jeep Rod" Photoshop Concept

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zumo, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I gotta agree with the weird factor in this post=lol! I didn't know so many of us thought this much a like, but only different=lol!

Years ago I was @ PC3g when Wally Parks,Bob McGee & Alex Xydias were talking. Each of those guys were in WWll and they each had a cool story to tell. I listened as to how they coped with the lack of speed while they were each doing their tour of duty and here is what Wally had to say. We were in the Paciic Theater in the Phillipines & all of the officers had lil GPW's, Well we wanted one too so we found one that had a blown engine in it, we found a generator that had a V8 60 in that was in need of repair. We swapped in the 60 & drove around the island in our own lil hot rod jeep american style."

He said that they left it there and some other guys took it over. Never said where it ended up=guess that he didn't know. So here was my take on it.

I've got a bud who I grew up with that is a die hard military collector. He is also a greaser. I did a bunch of work on his 51 Business Coupe & 27 T- Roadster & I asked him about this lil Jeep body that he had as a spare.
    Well it turns out to be a Ford so I tell him Wally's story. I just happen to have a V8 60 & dropped axles & some other necessities.
    I was going to make the frame from scratch and do the kick ups in the rear wheel wells so they wouldn't show. The theme of this would be in a sense a tribute to what Wally & his buds did while they were away so it would have to be olive drab with the nomemclature all over it. but when it got to the wheels I was thinking The usual rings & caps with stones all tucked in.

Last year a friend was moving out of his place and for some reason acquired a 42 Ford GPW. He's like" I've got no place to put this", I said the same, but gave in just because it is a Ford version. Well now I have the body as well as the rest of the Jeep albeit in 2 different locations. I promissed it to my nephew who is 15yrs old, so I would love to see the Jeep Rod version get built & maybe I could get my nephew down here and we could do that lil tribute version for Wally as well as him as he loves all of that WWll army stuff.
    Cool post. Keeps the imagination working!

2. junkman

junkman
    from Athens,La

I've gotta say this is one thread I never expected to see on the HAMB-- I think this is what is ment--thinking outside the box. I've got all(9)of the vehicles listed(except the postal) plus others setting on the farm. I've got an early 60's aluminum M422A1 Mighty-Mite (Marine Corps vehicle 3500 produced) as well as a CJ-6 (20" longer than the CJ-5) 3 Dodge Flatfenders. I guess I could strip the 4x4 parts and start building hotrods out of them. I wanted to get into this thread so I wouldn't loose it cause these are some wild ideas for otherwise neglected vehicles.That little Mighty-Mite is sure looking to be taking on a new life as something lowered-- It has rear 1/4 eliptic springs with independant suspension & inboard brakes. The original front suspension is gone as well as the V-4 air-cooled engine.It's smaller than a CJ2A. I'll have to post a picture, it would look great with some of these ideas.I've got all sorts of new rod material & don't even have to leave the farm.Thanks

3. Zumo

Zumo

Yeah I think it would be hard to cut up a Jeep that's all there. I would rather transplant the tub onto some other frame setup. These little guys served us well in past wars but now it's time for some of them to cult loose on their retirement.

4. Go Devil

Go Devil

I still hav'nt been able to get over to the shop yet, but here are some photos of the scale mock-up I did.

Attached Files:

5. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yes. . . jeep rods are gay
    [​IMG]

6. Zumo

Zumo

Very cool mock up.

7. mud_ninja84

mud_ninja84
    from sumter, sc

Well, my CJ-7 is now sold. I appreciate everyone's opinions, both good and bad reviews, but I'm still going to do what I want. Isn't that what rodding is all about - pure vehicular anarchy!? I'll keep you all posted. And, good luck to my fellow dreamers!

8. mud_ninja84

mud_ninja84
    from sumter, sc

The engineering involved is kicking my ass! Does anyone have any good sites for a frame mock up and suspensions?

9. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I say build the Jeep! I had a 1942 Ford jeep that I cut the top (windshield and roll bar) down about 5 inches. That is as far as I got, then sold it.

Mike

10. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

I too never thought I would see this on the HAMB. My father had a hair up his ass around 1990 to rod a mail jeep. I thought he was crazy. Yeah it wasn't traditional, but for an "odd rod" it was pretty fun. Everyone seemed to dig it and it was very cheap to build.

Here is a pic:

Attached Files:

11. mud_ninja84

mud_ninja84
    from sumter, sc

My uncle had a postal jeep a few years back. That was what inspired me in the first place - what else can you do with a 2-wheel drive jeep? Something crazy.:)

12. bushman65

bushman65

I am one of those strange people to, only I built one!! It gets allot of attention at the shows!

Attached Files:

13. DYSFUNCTIONALJD

DYSFUNCTIONALJD

14. TexasDart

TexasDart

I like the looks of them lowered some...and with big wide tires...they make a pretty cool roadster.

15. Zumo

Zumo

Holy crap this is an old post. I don't even have the image posted anymore. This is all I have of it still online:

A photo of a print out
    [​IMG]

16. 31whitey

31whitey

looks so cute

kinda like one of them

little M.G.s my mommy used to drive

17. junkman

junkman
    from Athens,La

Thanks for re-posting that image--The thread kinda lost context with that original image missing.... I've got a CJ2A in the pasture---I need to make a new toy.

18. Zumo

Zumo

I'll upload the original image later.

19. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

This is a traditional hot rod forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.