Register now to get rid of these ads!

States that do NOT require a physical examination of the car for registration?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mpls|cafe|racer, Dec 27, 2006.

1. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

That's the thing... I don't want a street rod plate. I also don't want to bond the thing.

I just want to have normal plates so I can drive it anytime I want without any bullshit from the blues.

2. Does Jesus need to appear in it or will any old tortilla do?

3. Big Olds Dog

Big Olds Dog

You can add the State of Maine to the list.
    We just got rid of the physical "Verification" last year
    Just a bill of sale and proof of insurance will get you your plates

4. RatBone

RatBone

Californa is easy if its a California title. I even got 1923 plates aprroved and all the paper work for my Hupp and it was basically a frame and cowl at the time. My 30 coupe came from out of state and the lady at the DMV came out and read the # off the frame and instant california title. If they think there is something fishy or the # cant be read easily or looks tampered with they will send you to the CHP who will even acid dip frames to find #s.

5. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

ohio , requires an inspection of out state of vehicles , (and title properly signed over to you) from the state it is coming from, have you crap together here or your gettin no where

6. jimmyv

jimmyv

Mississippi. I have titled lots of old cars over the years. All you need is a notarized bill of sale on older cars. They have never looked at a car I have titled. You can also get an antique tag for anything over 25 years old. It's a one time $25.00 fee and good for as long as you own the car.

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Squablow just caught your post its the same deal here in MO you got to have a title just a registration like from NY won't fly."

How can you buy a pre-70's car outta NY then?? NY didn't start issuing titles 'til the early 70's and then only for new cars. Any NY car older than that still has only a transferable registration.

8. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

12 years ago I bought my 51 merc in Ga and then got it titled in FL by showing DMV Bill of Sale and Ga registration that had been signed over to me.

10. Marcy

Marcy

Never been asked to see/inspect anything in Texas-----usually they just shake their heads when I walk in the door and ask if it's going to be an easy one-----I guess they don't get asked to do a lot of year of manufacture plate requests;)

Marcy

11. Gator

Gator

Tennessee, although when I titled/tagged the 53 Chevy pickup I bought recently they wanted to charge me sales tax on NADA 'book value' which was $12 grand. I had to get a signed affadavit with the sales price on it.

12. Local rodder bought a 1931 FORD NY REGISTRATION off of the HAMB. Went to WISCONSIN MVD, went TRANSFER TITLE ONLY, had no problem, no inspection.

13. ifixalot

ifixalot

wisconsin.
    just pay and thay will hand you a fresh title.
    no queations.

14. Chad s

Chad s

15. 32chevysedan

32chevysedan
    from Texas

Nothing in Texas, in my town we even have a drive thru window to get your registration.

16. rbohm

rbohm
    from tucson,az

unless the car is from out of state, arizona does not require a physical inspection, unless things have changed in the last 4 years(the last two cars i have titled in az have been out of state cars).

17. rbohm

rbohm
    from tucson,az

:cool:texas seems to be putting express lanes in for everything, car registration, executions.....................:p:D

18. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

Minnesota does not look at the vehicle, just bring the title, they charge $90 sales tax not matter how much you paid, thats a deal too, (6 1/2%...that's $1500 purchase price tax.) I registered a 32 Victoria but the title said sedan, they changed it to Victoria no problem. Not a bad deal

19. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Out of staters coming into Ohio all have to have a VIN check. A local used car dealer is your best bet. But most Ohio title bureaus will transfer an "in state" title so long as it's been notarized out of the last owner's name and is legible. Proof of insurance isn't required for title transfer or even for the buying of tags if you want to live on the shakey side....:eek:

20. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

What Jan said. Ohio is a breeze. I know because I've had a car or two...:eek: :D

If it's an outta state title, just find ya a little used car dealer who likes old tin. He'll do a quick "paper" inspection, and you're off to the title office.

A local guy has done 1, 2...maybe 30 for me. Never an issue. EXCEPT....Our local title office DOES NOT like NY registrations. I avoid those because of that.

21. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

This thread was posted due to the fact that there is no title.

NO TITLE AT ALL. lol

The paperwork that I have to use is a REGISTRATION PAPER. It isn't a title. NY did not use titles until the early 1970's.... and finding a clear MN title (or any other state TITLE for that matter) for a 34' Ford pickup is like finding hens teeth.

You cannot walk into a license beureau and hand them a pre-NY title registration document and say "I need to transfer this." They will deny you and tell you that you cannot do it "because a registration document isn't a title..."

22. improbcat

improbcat

A bill of sale is sufficient in CT. For out of state cars they do a VIN check, for in-state cars they *may* get a vin check but that is it.

Unless you're foolish enough to answer 'no' to the 'is this vehicle safe to drive on the highways of CT?' question on the registration. Then you get to have it inspected and gone over with a fine-tooth comb.

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

only when applying for historic plates.

If you want everyday plates for it...it will still need to be inspected. I was a Maryland inspector for 16 years. I never sold an uninspected certificate but I know it goes on all the time.

24. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

You might try printing copies of the law referencing that change and using the local DMV supervisor. I went thru a similar deal when leaving new hampshire with my personal vehicles. Anything over 10 years old, the registration is the title. Had to print out the NH law from their online DMV site and supply it with the registration in order for the Virginia DMV to issue me a title from scratch. DMV never asked to see the vehicle, but vin verification is part of the annual mechanic's inspection.

Good Luck!

25. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

I was speaking of MN specifically. You could have a document signed by Jesus hiself asying it's ok to do, and they'd still say no. haha

26. Maryland. Got a title and tags with a Ky.reg title.

27. Chester Breder

Chester Breder

28. washinton state used to do out of state inspections but now they only do salvage rebuild inspections. painless as long as all of your receipt are in order. the fee is $50 bucks.

29. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Thanks for all the informative replies guys. :)

30. cadillactramp

cadillactramp

in Connecticut, there's no visual, or title need for cars older than 25 years old. you just need a bill of sale. pretty sweet. makes me love livin in CT. I heard that mass. is a bitch.