Register now to get rid of these ads!

States that do NOT require a physical examination of the car for registration?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mpls|cafe|racer, Dec 27, 2006.

1. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

If you are in a state that you can walk into the DMV office with some paperwork (maybe even early 1900's NY registration papers? ;)) and they will hand you new doc's and plates without physically having the car there PLEASE post up!

2. South Dakota

3. 53SledSleeve

53SledSleeve

4. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

Hey,
    Virginia does not inspect the car/vin to the paperwork.
    Bill

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Kansas only inspects out of state titles, and issues quiet titles.

6. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

NJ ..if you have a old title / registration from NYS you need to show a pencil tracing on the VIN ..pay the man and within a fews weeks .. A sparking new title from NJDMV.

7. ShortBus

ShortBus

California. They might make you have CHP verify the vin but there's no inspection.

8. Lowbrow52

Lowbrow52

I am in Texas now, but I know Illinois doesn't require an inspection. Thats where I just moved from.

9. B-Man

B-Man

Alabama. This place is great for car builders. As far as i know, the only time you have to have the car there is when you buy it from out of state. I have never had them look at any of my cars, but my buddy bought a suburban from TN and they went out to look at it. I think just to verify the VIN. I have never done a project vehicle registration, where I had to show receipts. As with a "special construction" vehicle. But i bet you only need pictures and receipts for that. They require the vehicle to be insured in order to get a tag, but all they do is ask you if you have insurance. I don't think you have to actually prove it. Also, we not only don't require a title on vehicles before 1975, but they will not give you one. I have a title for my F-100 from Kansas or something like that, but not one from AL.

Does that help?

I know AL must be easy to register cars, there was a titling scam a few years back where a guy here would allow you to send hom your VIN and he would mail you a clear AL title, no matter where you lived. He got busted, after doing it for like 20 years or something.

10. dobie

dobie

11. Freq2002

Freq2002

Washington.
    Took the papers for my '56 that hasn't been registered since 1976 and they didn't even blink.

12. 1BADSLED

1BADSLED

13. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

Wisconsin only requires a proctol exam, not a complete physical examination. No, seriously, they only do random vin checks on out of state titles.

14. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ya ill second the michigan thing all they want is your money so you get a ny title dont try to fuck em on taxes and viola a brandy new michigan 32 ford title. I got a couple..
    Dave

15. chopper103in

chopper103in

16. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

55 chevy off road since 86 in NJ sat cut apart for 20 years. I buy it re build it in NY goe to dmv with a 20 year old title and reg. and have instant NY reggie with no problems

17. Since when?; in '81 they wanted to disassemble my hawg completely to look for theft numbers.

Oh back on track. In Missouri you get your vin checked by the saftey inspector in the gas station. UH work that one out in your head.

Squablow just caught your post its the same deal here in MO you got to have a title just a registration like from NY won't fly.

18. George

George

In Fla. the Police will come out & look at VIN & odometer. Bought a '47 Dodge in Ala. with current (at the time) reg. The cop radiod in the VIN, the car had been reg. in Fla. at some point as a '48, but the Ala. paperwork took precidence. Got a Fla. title on a '47 Dodge!

19. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Add New Hampshire to the list.

Cris

20. Squablow

Squablow

I've titled a lot of cars in Wisconsin and they've never looked at the car once. One time I even went in with a title that said 2 door hardtop and asked them if they'd change it to 4 door sedan and they did, no problem.

However, I'm pretty sure you have to have a real title, they don't take that NY registration shit here.

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Another yes for Michigan and it's very easy to use the New York state transferable registration here at a Michigan DMV and get a new title with no hassles or inspection. If I can be of ANY assistance;) just PM me and I'll help ya out. I come with references that apply to this type of situation.:D

22. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

??? Since when did this change? Not only did I have to show the vehicle for them to inspect the VIN and odometer, I had to take it to the county seat I lived in to get it done, couldn't even do it in a different county.

Thank God I got out of there!

23. chopped

chopped

Or you can have it done at a car dealer, you get the form from the DMV.And add Ga. to the list.

24. arkracing

arkracing

Rhode Island - with an old registration OR if you know somebody who has a dealership you can have them make out paperwork to "sell" the car to you through the dealership. My buddy usually will do this for a fee. Go to the DMV hand them the Dealer paperwork and no questions asked they give you the new reg. :)
    Usually you have to make up a VIN to put on the paperwork or use one that should have been on the car originally

25. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

South Carolina.

26. You may not get any hassles in here. I have done it before. Ask for a street rod plate and then they think you are a criminal. Four pictures, one of each side and front & back, then they will tell you the value of the bond they want you to purchase. I heard of a guy they forced to purchase a bond on his model A that was registered & licensed to him for 10 years prior to applying for street rod plates.

27. Hell, in Illinois if you go to the right DMV you can get away with almost amything. They're supposed to check proof of insurance before issuing plates, never once have I had to provide proof. AS long as they get their cash, you're pretty much good to go.

28. Hunter Bender

Hunter Bender

the california dmv will inspect the vin too. you don't have to have a cop do it.

29. Hunter Bender

Hunter Bender

bikes are a different story...

30. JamesG

JamesG

Arkansas.

I think they will accept a tortilla as a bill of sale.