Register now to get rid of these ads!

What rim is this? Is it a Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Frank

Frank

Saw this rim on a 80's Ford van today. Looks to be a much older rim of course. The odd part is the lip around it.

Attached Files:

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just junked 4 Chevy rims last week with the same style lock ring. must be a bitch to change tires. I used a Saws All.:D

3. rodrelic

rodrelic

Yeah, should be a KH stamp in one of the triangles between the lugs, and a ford oval. 17"?

4. Frank

Frank

I plan to go back to the yard tomorrow. Is it worth getting? I can't see where this ring would be removable but I also can't see what purpose it would serve.

5. Older ford truck split rim. I like 'em but I won't run 'em. Never had one come apart on me but I have seen the locking rings stuck in the tire shop wall and worked as a replacement tire guy in a Portland truck garage once while the other tire guy was trying to grow a new arm.

6. TomH

TomH

NO!! split rims are truck rims and like porknbeaner said they are dangerous as hell!! I think the trucking industry has quit using them!!

7. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

It a truck/van wheel. The original hub caps on them were unique because they look different than early ford dog dishes but fit on inny nub fomoco wheels.
    If you get them cheap or free remove the outers and have a wheel shop put on wide outers to better fit fat WWW meats.

8. rodrelic

rodrelic

16" tubeless outers fit inside cut down 17" centers.

Attached Files:

9. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Split rims are very dangerous if not mounted right. My Bro-in-law was riding in a camper on an old '65 Chevy 3/4 ton back in the the day when the left front ring blew off and the truck went over the embankment totaled the truck, camper and almost the boat they were towing, thankfully nobody got hurt. They put them in a cage when airing them up because if not set right they will blow off the tire and you really don't know until you air them up.

10. TomH

TomH

I used 15" split rim centers with 16" outer ( rims ).

11. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

i have a set of those split rims that are 15" they say "goodyear" on the inside. i have pictures if anyone wants to see they are from the 40s.

12. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have a couple of them around here. Not much demand for them since they are split rims. Mine came on an old Spartan camper.

This split rim has a one piece ring with an area on the inside edge that is notched out. You work that spot over the edge of the rim and then beat the rest of the ring off the rim. Mine were not the easiest to work with. Looked like a pretty safe design to me if the ring is sound.

The problem with any split rim is it can be difficult to find someone to fix a flat saturday afternoon when you are 200 miles from home.

The plus's are they are strong and you can put a heavy ply tire on them.

Neal

13. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

the reason i was told they were used, is that the truck tires used back in the 40s used to be REALLY stiff and almost impossble to bend over the lip. when the rings are in good shape and not bent they are just as safe as regular rims. its when they get bent out of round that makes them unsafe. if they are sketchy you can just put a chain around the tire and rim. but they get inner ubes, so its not like it gets blown up like a new tire and seats on the rim, it just gently starts to seat. no worrys guys! anyone wanna buy mine? hah

14. Frank

Frank

Thanks for explaining Jst Wandering. I couldn't see how the ring would come off of it till you explained it.

Anyway, I left it alone, but I picked up two others. Both of these were on a early 60's Ford pickup. The one on the left is the typical KH 15" 5 on 5 1/2", 5" wide. The one on the right though seems a bit odd to me. I haven't been able to find a picture of it to identify it. Its also 15" but its 6" wide and there are no provisions for a small hub cap. No springs or nubs. Either way I'd like to find a match to it if anyone can suggest what they may have been used on. May be right for the truck, but it doesn't look like other pictures I have seen. I haven't found any markings yet.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d101/frankr87gt/28 RPU/1226062130.jpg

15. Frank

Frank

16. NealinCA

NealinCA

Looks like an early Ford 16" center cut down and welded into a 15" split rim...basically useless.

Neal

17. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

heres the ones i got. they are 15" and have 5 1/2? bolt patturn. i wanna sandblast them and use them on something, unless someone else needs em.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Draggin Ass they were still useing split rims on heavy trucks clear up into the '70s that I know of.

The only real problem I ever heard of was at the tire shop. They are real dangerous when you are seating the ring/tire. if you gotta run 'em and you want to do it yourself please build a cage to put the wheel in when your airing it up. The ring will remove body parts on the way by if you are not luckey. It takes luck and not skill to not loose a ring once in awhile.

19. I am a tire fitter and I still come across this style of rim on occasions. They are a pain in the ass as far as I,m concerned and are very much obsolete as technology has advanced and made them so.
    IF YOU MUST use them then find a tire fitter who knows and understands them because, quite simply, they will fuck you up BIG TIME if you don,t know what you are doing. The worst ones I,ve come up against are ex-military flat bed trailers, usually a 10.00 x 20" that are the best part of 60+ years old. They still crop up from time to time at agricultural engineers who buy them cheap from an auction and then use them to transport machinery. When they get a flat, they call me and I dread the damn things as they are usually rusty as hell, haven,t been apart for years, most of the tensile strength left years ago and they end up being very labour intensive. Once stripped down and the leak fixed, we reassemble the wheel, put about 10 psi in it and fit them back on the trailer. Once bolted up we the inflate them to about 60 psi or so (or whenever your bottle goes) yank the airline off and run!
    Here ya go, here,s the bill. Bye!

20. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

they had split rims like the ones i posted??? crazy! i thought the "12- 51" was december 1951. i think my 51 chevy hubcaps fit them too. thanks for the info pork.