Register now to get rid of these ads!

700r4 help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Neophyte, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Neophyte

Neophyte

Is there any way that one can flush the 700r4 while still in the car?

Yes, I do know it will be very messy but I'd still like to know.

The problem is that now that I was ready to check if I could at least get the car moving under it's own power up the driveway and back, it's reverse doesn't engage. 1st does definitely engage.

Someone told me to at least try and replace the filter as it did help for him.

The following is a quote from a 11/2005 thread:
    Did he mean the trans fluid must be filled to the top of the dipstick with the engine off or did he point out that is the wrong way to do it.

I might not have enough fluid in so I'll check that first. I would still appreciate answers to my initial question though.

2. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

Automatic transmissions are always supposed to have the fluid level checked while in park, on level ground, with the engine running, after shifting the tranny through all gears while sitting still.

3. Neophyte

Neophyte

Thanks for these instuctions. Now I just need to hold thumbs that my problem is only due to a low oil level.

4. RATCAMINO

RATCAMINO

sorry to tell you this but if it is just reverse the tranny is probably screwed. most of the time low fluid will make the tranny not want to engage any gear.

5. Neophyte

Neophyte

Fortunately this is not the case. :D

A week ago I pushed the car out of the way slightly and saw an oil stain on the paving but didn't check where it came from. Yesterday I bought some more oil. I started the motor up in neutral and let it idle for about two minutes or so with a little light revving now and then. I put the oil in but after three pints it was still not full. I concluded that the oil stain on the ground must be transmission oil. In any case, I thought I should try put it in gear just for the sake of it. Drive kicks in and I thought 'what the heck' and tried Reverse. Low and behold, it kicked in and could actually move the car when I released the park brake. Now I'm happy BUT I still need to find that leak and fix it before I can drive the car. Another thing that needs to happen before then is the brakes as I'm not getting perssure when bleeding it. I also think that maybe the booster's diaphraghm is leaking too.