Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'd rather get blown!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob Galet, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Bob Galet

Bob Galet

I'd like to put a 6-71 blower on my Olds 425. I found one fresh off a diesel. Do you need to change anything on the blower to make it work on a gas job? Or can I merely take it off the diesel and put it on my gas? Also, are there any manifolds out there for a 6-71 to a big block olds?

2. Man what trucks out there had 6-71's on them? I know that was the original source for many rodders, but which trucks should I keep an eye out for? Thanks,
    -Dean

3. Bob Galet

Bob Galet

What trucks did come with them? And does anyone know of a 6-71 blower manifold for a big block oldsmobile? I cannot find one anywhere!

4. SEWERAT

SEWERAT

Check old school bus companies, garages. They are getting hard to find as most everthing now runs Turbo

5. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

I got one off an old dump truck.
    As far as the manifold they really don't make one so what they do is mill down an existing manifold and weld a plate to the top. You can buy one from Dyers like this.
    [​IMG]

6. 47bob

47bob

Came from a 6 cylinder GMC (Detroit) diesel. (6 Cylinder/71 Cubic inches per cylender=671). There were also 471,371 and even a 271

7. And, to add to that, there's 2 different styles of 6-71's. Theres one with the flat bottom, like that intake is made for in the pic above (in INLINE 6-71) then theres the V 6-71, which has a smaller bottom. It's because the inline 6 blower mounts to the side of the block, whereas the V6 blower mounts between the heads. I believe the inline ones are more common in the "aftermarket".

Jay

8. squirrel

squirrel

the V series manifolds don't have the mounting bolt holes along the sides at the bottom, so stick to a regular 6-71. They haven't put those engines in trucks for something like 35 years (?) so you won't find them in any modern truck junkyards...strictly old stuff. they do still show up on epay, and at swap meets.

Read the links that Kerry posted above....if you have the $$$ it's a lot easier to just get a rebuilt blower ready to go than to do the conversion yourself, but either way will work if you can handle the conversion yourself.

9. Bob Galet

Bob Galet

I was looking at this one:

2224_1_b.jpg

2281_1.jpg

235f_1.jpg

10. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz

Big Als toybox has them listed for a 455 olds......over $1000 just for the manifold.
    page 17 of their catalog
    http://www.bigalstoybox.com/

Duke

11. Bob Galet

Bob Galet

Could I buy or make a plate and perform this operation myself? I have a few extra 2bbl manifolds. Or should I just look for a used blower manifold? I really cant afford a $1000 manifold!

12. Mr Grim

Mr Grim
    from Chicago,IL

look for an offshore setup the BB olds was a very popular power plant lots of them ran blowers too,if your looking for go fast stuff for your 425 here's a link that'll help http://www.oldsperformanceproducts.com/

13. 97