Register now to get rid of these ads!

something different for SBC valve cover

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadfever, Dec 23, 2006.

1. I was at a local swap last fall and two different guys had these valve covers for sale.

Pontiacs in Canada used chevy motors and 55-57 pontiac had scripted valve covers.

Kind of a different twist to the fake olds covers.

Lindsay

Attached Files:

2. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

Got access to anymore, got a '40 pontiac that needs these.

3. I can ask around and find out who the other guy is that was at the swap. I have seen him around but do not know his name.
    These have the offset valve coverholes but i plan to move the holes over with a little metal work.
    Lindsay
    Maybe some of the other canadians have seen these before or have a set

4. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

cool, keep an eye out. I'd appreciate it.

5. tomslik

tomslik

i think i'd be down for a pair!

6. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

My 62 didnt have the "Pontiac" stamped in....just cheap decals, which are impossible to find.

How much were they selling for?

7. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-1967-Beaumont-valve-covers-say-Pontiac-283_W0QQitemZ300061725406QQihZ020QQcategoryZ42606QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

here is a set with the decals on ebay. You could have your own vinyl decals made at a print shop if you had a sample.

I didn't dicker and paid the full amount Kinda steep @70$cdn but I didn't know if I would see another set.

I will have to try to locate buddy with the other set.

Might look cool with the SY1 intake that i scored. I am looking for a Carter AFB 625 com carb in good shape.

Lindsay

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Years ago, I saw a late '60s canadian sbc powered Pontiac with "script" Pontiac valve covers.

9. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

I can make the vinyl, no problem. But I'd rather have them embossed.

10. tomslik

tomslik

11. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

There were some Studebaker valve covers for a small block too, they used a 283 in Larks in 64 and 65.

12. Alex Holweger

Alex Holweger
    from Deer Park

sweet valve covers, proble worth alot of cash.

13. I have a few sets of these :)
    Decided to sell a set of em, if anyone is interested

-Shiny

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I like that 'diversity', wish there were some nice cast exhaust manifolds that were different looking. (besides the extreme ram horns we see on street rods)

I recall going to a Goodguise show and there were some valve covers for SBC that were cast like a flathead! Big finned aluminum boxes, bet they oblonged the tiny 1/4" hold down bolts!
    ...and there were bearded flamed shorts & turned-up-toed cowboy boot wearers actually looking at 'em!

15. There is a plain Olds cover used on like 56 or 57 up motors that should work on Chevy center bolt heads. Another option, and no phony stuff, although I did get ripped on here when I posted a thread about it by clowns who didn't seem to understand they're plain valve covers with no stamping.

16. GRX

GRX
    from MD

Nice option for our friends above the line. You want to really confuse some people install a set of these.

[​IMG]

17. Jimv

Jimv

Was that the same as chevy? I thought it was a completely different engine. Just the same CI
    JimV

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

kinda funny that they made Pontiac script valve covers for Chevrolet, but as far as I know, they never made Pontiac script covers for Pontiac motors.... or did they?

19. brandon

brandon

God help em if you show em a set of buicks....lol a buddy of mine has some old nos oldsmobile nascar sbc valve covers he's jone'n to use....lol

20. I know by '59 they had a breather stuck in the middle of one side and the end of the other. Possible 55-56 motors had them.

21. Jimv

Jimv

In the late 80's( I think) GM was putting SBC engines in a lot of the lines so it might be possible that's were these came from. Are the bolt holes offset?
    Very cool score
    Jimv

22. ^^^^^I believe all those were center bolt heads, post 1986.^^^^^

23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

It was a Chevy. From a Studebaker website:

"Eight Cylinder Engines

Studebaker V-Eight. An overhead valve engine introduced in 1951 replacing the Commander Six in automotive use. Originally displacing 232 cubic inches, it was progressively enlarged to 259 and then to 289 cubic inches. Early 1955 Commanders used a reduced displacement 224 cubic inch version which was also available in trucks in 1955-56. Dual exhausts and both two and four barrel carburetors were available depending upon the year and model of vehicle. For 1957 and 1958, Golden Hawks used the 289 version with a supercharger installed. 1957 Packard Clippers also used the supercharged 289. Horsepower ranges from 120 for the early version to 275 for the supercharged Hawks. Relatively heavy for its displacement, it is a strong and reasonably powerful engine with good parts availability. It was built in large numbers and used extensively in both cars and trucks. While it does well with an automatic transmission, it is great fun with stick and overdrive. I like this engine, having owned a Lark with a 259 and stick with overdrive, a Silver Hawk with a 289 and straight stick, and a GT Hawk with a 289 and four-speed stick. My experience is that most any Studebaker equipped with this engine is going to feel front end heavy.

Avanti V-Eight. Avanti engines were developments of the basic Studebaker V-8 engine. The R1 was a 289 cubic inch carbureted version with a 4 barrel and R2 was a 289 cubic inch version equipped with a supercharger. Most Avantis were equipped with these two engines, although only the R1 could be had with air condtioning. The R3 was a special performance supercharged variation displacing 304 cubic inches of which very few were built. There were also R4 and R5 performance variatrions, but none of these were sold to the public. In 1963 and 1964, Larks and Hawks could be ordered with Avanti engines, and a relatively small number were so equipped. Avanti engines are powerful and reasonably durable, although the supercharger (as with the 1957 and 1958 Golden Hawks) can be a troublesome. As would be expected, parts for R Series engines are harder to find and more expensive than for standard Studebaker V-8's.

Packard V-Eight. Used only one year in the 1956 Golden Hawk. This large 352 cubic inch overhead valve engine produced 275 horsepower and was available with either the Packard Ultramatic automatic or stick with overdrive. Even heavier than the Studebaker V-8, so the front end heavy feeling is even more pronounced. Parts availability and cost are as for postwar Packards, which means generally harder to find and more expensive.

General Motors (Chevrolet) V-Eight. Basically the standard 283 cubic inch Chevrolet engine used in Canadian produced Studebakers in 1965 and 1966. It is lighter than the Studebaker V-8 so cars equipped with this engine do not feel front heavy. Only available from the factory with a 2 barrel carburetor and single exhaust rated at 195 horsepower. A solid engine that works well with automatic, straight stick, or stick with overdrive. As with the Chevy six, parts for the V-8 are readily available, as is a broad range of performance equipment."

24. 1934coupe

1934coupe

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

26. PonchoRR

PonchoRR

Would you possibly have a set of the embossed Pontiacs for sale? Not wanting stickers. Thanks

27. 52lomofo

52lomofo

I'll keep an eye out for you to I'm heading to junk yard tomorrow

28. We had the Canadian Chevy powered Pontiacs here in the early-mid 60's, I can't remember ever seeing any that weren't plain Chev orange/red (283's & 327's). Maybe a Canadia- only thing.

29. Yup....57 Pontiacs all had script covers.