Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Armed Forces?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dooce, Dec 20, 2006.

?
  1. I joined and loved it!

145 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. I joined and hated it!

19 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. I regret not joining!

44 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. I am glad I never thought about joining!

49 vote(s)
    19.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dooce

Dooce

I have always had the thought of maybe enlisting in the armed forces and today I went down and spoke with the Air Force and the Navy. Out of the two, i really liked the Air Force. I would like to hear from some H.A.M.B.'rs who have joined and what you would recommend for me. I am having a really hard time deciding to do it or not, and need as much help as I can get. I want to hear from all points on this. Joining and loving it, joining and hating it, wishing you would have joined, or glad you never did. Dont be afraid to tell me the truth, this could really help me decide on what to do. Please just dont vote, but explain why you chose what you chose. Thanks guys, Dooce

2. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

dooce, i joined the navy 6 years ago, and i'm still in. i am an aviation structural mechanic on the superhornet, and i love my job. the military side is a love/hate relationship. i think of it as any other job, you're gonna hate some parts of it. overall my experiences, and the guys i have met along the way are irreplaceable. be prepared for a huge change in the way you look at things, and the way people look at you. you will be judged, and some will love you, and some WILL hate you. nearly everyone has an opinion on the military in general. i have learned so much from navy schools, as far as metalwork, advanced composites, airframe structures.....etc. all of these skills (and college credits) can be transferred to the "real world." i say go for it, try it out for a few years! oh, and if you do join, remember you have 2 ears and one mouth, so listen twice as much as you talk! AM2(AW) Josh Beiter PROUDLY!

3. ray

ray
    from colorado

why do you want to join? that's going to determine a lot if it's the right choice for you.

whatever your decision, i would not base it on ANYTHING the recruiters tell you, they lie lie lie to get you to sign up. i can't tell you how many people have been promised things only to be greatly disappointed. you have the right idea to ask around.

i won't advise you either way, i'll just say take the time to think it over VERY carefully, you are signing away years of your life, maybe more, not a decision to be taken lightly.

uncleandy 65 likes this.

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Well, ol' LBJ "requested" that I join, do I get a vote? :D

5. First you need to research what branch of service you want to join. I've been in the Marine Corps for the last 16 years (currently a Combat Instructor)....and love it. As stated above, there will be high/low times throughout your career...but you just need to make the best of it. You will know within your first enlistment whether you want to continue and make it a career. I will retire at the age of 38!!!!! You gotta love that!!! There are many benefits that alot of people don't understand. But then again, some people especailly the "Mothers of America" think their children are joining the military for an education.....thats only part if it. There is a war going on, and people need to understand that servicemembers die during these times. I know alot of older HAMBs (prior service) will speak up on this point.

Again, do your research........and don't let anyone else make the decision for you.

Semper Fi

Rich B. likes this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I would advise not to join, there are no HOT RODS in Iraq.

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

[older HAMBs (prior service) will speak up on this point.

OLDER ! I resemble that remark! :D

In a nut shell: War's hell, Life's a bitch, and Combat's a mother f#*ker !

8. I joined the Navy right out of high school. I didn't want to go to college. I was tired of school. I qualified for their Nuclear Power School. The recruiter promised bonuses and fast raises in rank. He made it sound great. He DIDN'T tell me there were 2+ years of highly advanced college type mathematics and physics classes involved.

What a disappointing surprise for me. I fucking hated it. When I finally got booted out of the school, it was OK. I just didnt get the skill to find a job, etc that was promised. Dont let the $$ they promise you get in the way of what you want to do.

If you like working on cars, trucks, etc., request motor pool, or aircraft maintenance. If you like computers, do that. Or construction..
    dont take a job you wouldnt do on the outside. The "military life" isnt so bad if you are single. The married guys always had problems.

You get out of it what you put into it. Dont do it if you dont like being told what to do.

Good luck in your choice.

9. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Dude join, f@$k all the haters on this board..
    I joined the A.F in 96, I'm in the reserves now, wish I would have stayed in!
    Man, I wasn't doing shit before I joined, I was running with the wrong crowd, man I have friends who have died, doing drugs or are in jail. I would have been there too.... You will not regret it, I work on C-5's used to work on
    F-16's now I'm an admin bitch.. hahaha... So much job security, insurance dude you can't go wrong... Choose a job that best suits you, medical, maintenance, whatever it may be.... I hope it helped a little...

10. Military service is a calling, like teaching or being a priest-- You'll never get rich, but you will become rich in experiences. I just retired after twenty years in the Navy (3 enlisted and 17 as an "O") and wouldn't trade it for anything... 'cept maybe a Hemified Deuce 3W. ;)

The Navy took me all over the world (literally) and paid for both a Bachelors and Masters engineering degrees. It gave me a perspective on life that no other vocation could dream of offering. But then, it also took me from my family during six six-month deployments.... Christmas, daughter's birth, etc...

Read and commit to memory the posts by CHOPD51, Ray, Josh, DesertRatRodder and Chucklehead Al. Then YOU decide for YOURSELF.

Hope this helps.
    -Gary

lothiandon1940 and Flogknaw like this.
  11. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

When I was 17 I tried to join the Navy but they said I had "To Many Police Contacts" and would not take me, soooo I got married at 19 years old and then no sooner got drafted into the Army!!! The best thing that ever happened to me.... that was in 1966.

ffr1222k likes this.
  12. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I do regret that I never joined. Looking back, most of the finest people I know have served our country.

Brad

D-Russ likes this.
  13. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Back in the mid 80s, a high school friend of mine joined the Navy and talked it up so much that I went down to see the local recruiter and size it up for myself.

After a brief chat with the guy, he asked what I was looking to do, and I told him that I wanted to just be a Motor Pool mechanic, or possibly a Sea-Bee 9slang for "Construction Battallion"). He nodded, then told me I needed to take what I believe he called an "ASVAB" test, or something like that. He told me it was a basic skills test used to detrmine placement eligibility for new recruits. In short, he said it was just a formality, so that if someone came walking in wanting to be a nuclear engineer, but couldn't pass this meager test, then they could tell him right off the bat that the Navy wasn't for him!

So, I took the test, and thought it was WAY too easy. I mean, it seemed to be aimed at about a sixth grade level to me, but I thought that was cool. I mean, passing this test with flying colors HAD to be a GOOD thing, right?!

Ha Ha...not neccessarily!

Upon reviewing my test scores, the recruiter and his boss hauled me into a tiny office and said that I couldn't get my desired assignment to mechanic or Sea-Bee. I asked why, and was given some speech along the lines of "Son, the US Navy does not enjoy wasting it's resources, Human or otherwise...and your test scores indicate an aptititude far above just being a mechanic or a Sea-Bee!".

Well, I was pissed, and that lead to a big shouting match right there in the office! I told 'em to give me another run at that test and I'd give 'em the sorta results they'd find fit for JUST a mechanic or Sea-Bee...but they wouldn't do it! I stormed out with a few final colorfull expletives and gestures and that was that!

There's times I really wish I would've gone back and taken the test with a little less gusto and just picked up an assignment I could live with for at least four years. We weren't at war with anybody back then, and weren't likely to be under Reagan. It could've been a very good experience, possibly leading to some kind of military career, but it's all hindsight now! I'm not sure I'd want to join any branch today...but back in 1985, it would've been a great time to see the world courtesy of Uncle Sam!

14. A friend of mine in Washinton State once told me that the Air Force was the only one to join. All of the other services send the grunts to do the fighting, but the Air Force sends the officers to fight and stays back behing the lines to keep the air planes flying. Makes sense to me. As an Air Force brat, I would say they are the best service. Make sure you get in a trade that you can do on civy street. Being a marine is great or in the 101st airborne of the army, but not much combat work on the streets when you leave the service. My cousin made a career out of the US army. He was in Vietnam in 66. Pat

15. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I retired a few years ago (OK, a dozen or so....) after twenty four years and two days in the World's Best Air Force.

I got an incomparable education, I flew airplanes, and I got to see the world.

It ain't all fun, nor is it all a thing of beauty. You will be asked to sacrifice at fairly regular intervals, and even if you end up as an old retired fart like me, you will have a list of friends that were asked to give everything for America.

But it is just about the only job I know where a substantial number of the grumpy, used up retired guys would trade places with the rookies in a heartbeat. I am still waiting for the phone call; if it comes tonite, I'll be gone tomorrow.

Maybe best of all, I know that when America called, my buddies and I weren't too fucking busy.

Having said all that, get the facts, and make a deliberate decision. Good luck.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I graduated from high school in 1968 with a draft number high enough that it was never picked, would have gone if I was picked. It bothers me on Memorial Day that I didn't have the balls to sign up.

D-Russ likes this.
  17. Scarynickname

Scarynickname
    from Toney, Al

Well, I've been in the Navy, Army Reserve and the Marine Corps. From what I've seen the Air Force folks have a pretty cushy life. If you want to get lost in a sea of green and really become just a number, join the Army. If you know how to work hard and can retain lots of information you would stand out in the Navy. However, if you're a glutton for punishment and want know how far you can push yourself, join the Marine Corps.

18. Crankshaft

Crankshaft

I spent 23 years in the Air Force. I joined thinking I'd beat the draft - in for 6 months and they did away with it. Spent 10 years as a Jet Engine Mech, then convinced them to send me to college; got my degree in Industrial Engineering and spent another 10 as an officer with Civil Engineering squadrons. No regrets about joining.

19. Hey Mate,

I wouldnt sweat it, its not like the people who make the decision to send others to war ever have the balls to sign up themselves...

Danny

20. squirrel

squirrel

I was never in the military, but I did spend 6 years as an Army civil servant working on tri-service comm systems, and I've lived in a military town for 20+ years (wife works on post). Many of my friends are veterans, quite a few retired and now working civil service or contractor as they collect their military retirement check. Looking from the outside in, some people are more suited to the military life than others....I'm one of the others. The rewards are there, but you have to deal with the way things work to get them. The Air Force is probably the best service to go into as far as getting a "working on equipment" assignment, so it looks like you're on the right track.

Is it for you? no one else knows....you gotta figure it out. If you go in with a positive attitude, and realize that putting up with the BS just makes you stronger, then you should do fine. If you want the military to adapt to your preferences, you're in for a rude awakening.

---------------
    the Navy probably wanted to make Fat Hack an officer, and it's probably a good thing he turned them down!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. cavman

cavman

I went in the Army in 1966. Spent part of 67 and 68 in Vietnam, as a door gunner on a Huey. I truely wish I was young enough to be in Iraq. Some things you'll never regret, one of them is serving your country. God bless ya if you choose to do so.

D-Russ, Flogknaw and ffr1222k like this.
  22. msgt.dad

msgt.dad

Hey Dooce;
    This is starting to sound like a "can you top this" bs session.
    well here goes-- I joined in Nov. 1968 couldn't wait to get out in 1974 ,to pursue a career as a police officer,which I did !
    One day,while riding around observing the masses,and contemplating the mystries of life ! I suddenly realized, shit-- I ain't gon'a have enough money to retire on.
    So I went to the local Ohio air guard base, and signed up!I Just started year # 29, and still counting!!
    Both of my sons have followed me into the Air Guard,and I can't measure the benefits,both at home and in the real world.
    I could go on for hours and tell you all the ups and downs, however the ups always win !!
    Follow your heart, and make sure you have a GOOD!!! woman behind you.
    I'm 56 years old and leaving next month for a 4mo tour to southwest asia, wouldn't have it any other way!!

GOD BLESS THE USA, and my wife Msgt Dad USAF

D-Russ likes this.
  23. ianblaster

ianblaster
    from Dothan, AL

Lots of good advice here. Suprised to see so many unbiased comments. I served in the Marine Corps for six years. I would not trade those six years for anything. The key is no matter what service you join, make sure you pick an occupational specialty that will benefit you when you get out. I was an avionics tech on Hueys and Cobras. When I got out, I rolled right into a good paying job because of the skills and training I received in the service. If you are looking to choose between the Navy an Airforce, look at the mission of the two branches. If you go Navy, you are going to be on a ship unless you are one of the lucky few land based guys. From my personal observations, the Airforce seems to have a larger budget to play with so their quality of life is better. Hope this helps you out.

24. Most air force bases have a 'hobby shop' where you rent by the hour shop time with their tools, lifts, spray booth etc. I learned alot from retired motorpool guys. I enlisted thinking I would get a college education out of it. Dont go thinking that is what you want. You are government property when you enlist. You do what they want, then you get the leftovers.

25. squirrel

squirrel

the auto craft shops aren't what they used to be, friend of mine ran the one on post here for years as a civil servant, now it's all contractor and for-profit

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. Scotch

Scotch

I did a 4 yr stint in the AF right out of high school - '84-'88.

I learned plenty, went lots of places, and grew up.

I still have the benefits, the knowledge, and the tattoos I got while I was in.

No regrets at all for me. I'd do it all over again.

~Scotch~

27. Zeke

Zeke

I'm active duty army. 101st Airborne. There are actually quite a few good "noncombat" jobs in the army..granted that doesn't mean you won't see combat. About half the cooks I work with earned Combat Action Badges last year while we were in Iraq. Get the study book for the ASVAB take practice tests. Take the ASVAB then tell them you need to think about it for a while. this will give you time to actually look at the jobs you are qualified for as see what you like. If you find something you like tell them and stick to your guns. If they don't have a opening, wait they will come back to you. Take your time and makethe best of it.

Oh and it's easy to stand out in a sea of Gray/green (damn ACUs) Just do the best at your at your job.

28. roddinron

roddinron

I went to the Air Force in 1968. Not because of the draft, but because I always dreamed of going, from the time I was a kid I just knew someday I would. I guess I went at the worst possible time in history though since no one in uniform was getting much respect, especially from the civilians my own age. I left after 4 years, but after joining civilian life I gradually began to realize that those 4 years were probably the best of my life. We say that we don't want anybody ordering us around, but sometimes maybe we need that to get us out of our rut, and push us into new experiences that we might not tackle if it was up to us. In civilian life we too often settle into a nice, soft, comfortable rut and just stay there.
    I learned a lot in the service, it was an experience that you just can't get anywhere else. Basic training was the best now that I look back at it, they stripped everybody down and made everyone equal, probably the only time in my life I ever experienced that, and then they let you PROVE what you could do with no bullshit or brown nosing. I graduated from basic as an outstanding Airman one of only a few out of 120 some guys. I didn't tell you that to brag, but rather to indicate to you that if you join with the right attitude (my high school years weren't nearly as stellar!), it's like being reborn, no one knows you, they have no false expectations of you, and you can leave the past behind and start with a clean slate, sort of reinvent yourself.
    It ain't always easy in there, but it ain't easy out here either, but in there there's a sense of being a part of something, that you rarely ever find in civilian life.
    Now, with all that said, it don't mean a thing, cause that's my take on something that I experienced almost 40 yr's ago, and we tend to remember the good rather than the bad, it could be the biggest mistake of your life, only you can decide, as for me, money couldn't buy the pride I have in having served.

RidgeRunner likes this.
  29. Freq2002

Freq2002

Ok, there are a few things to take into account before you decide on a service.
    I'll tell you first why I know what I know. I've been in the Navy for 18 & a half years. I've been able to work along side of the Air Force and a few other nations forces as well. I've seen & done shit that most people cant imagine, I've even been lucky anough to go someplace that less than 1/10th of 1% of the earths population will ever see, & less than that will set foot on. Anyway, I retire soon and while I love what I do and will always reccomend it to anyone who has the wherewithall to do it themselves, I can't wait to get a real job again.

So, onto what you need to think about when choosing this life.
    You will not have the ability to just up & say I quit, or I dont wanna, also you will not, despite what they tell you, have as many rights & liberties as the rest of the population. Get used to it now.
    Your recruiter will most likely lie to you, no matter what service you choose, do NOT join without choosing your job up front and get it on paper. Without that promise of a professional school right out of boot, you WILL get a hard screwing and possibly learn to hate the service in short order, this is very very important should you choose the Navy.
    You will find out that the military is often times only what you make it. Most of the places I have been were 5% what was there, and 95% what I brought to it. Keeping a positive outlook will save you alot of butt-ache in the long run.

Real killer here: What do you want to do?
    Going into the motorpool in the Air Force can be usefull for mechanical expereince, or GSE in the Navy. However you'll find it's more about routine maintenance & part swapping than anything. Some ups & downs there, but you wont get the same education out of it you would if you were to goto school to get your ASE certification, or better yet, go someplace like WYOTECH.
    Now, my suggestion, if you really like mechanical work and want a broader range of expereince, goin into aviation mechanics is a real plus as you'll get to learn all kinds of usefull things. However, what service you choose can limit or expand that option immensely.
    The Air Force loves to compartmentalize, you will become an expert in your field and have all the best tools and facilities to work with. The Air Force did things right and built some nice bases in great places, your field may be narrow, but you will be comfortable. That comfort comes at a price tho, the Air Force has much lower tollerance for goof balls, you have to be alot more ate up with the military bearing & character than in the Navy. But then again, if you decide to go Air Guard and do that full time there are fewer opportunities but once your set it seems like a good place to be, but thats another story,...
    The Navy is all about doing more with less, less comfort, less space, less money, but you will get to learn the entire aircraft from nose to tail if you want to, the Navy encorages cross training to any & all of the rates. Considering they are wanting to make everyone A&P mechanics and are pushing college education on top of that, the college at sea classes and other things they offer these days make it a distinct possibility to get out with training AND a degree, all on the Navys' dime. You'll have a load of opportunity if you decide you can live on a ship in a small compartment with 60 of your closest friends for 6-9 months at a time. Dont let that sway you tho, many of the land bases have been getting rebuilt and the quality of life for our young sailors is a shit load better than it was when I joined in '88. SO much better,... Of course while the ships sound like a pleasure cruise in hell, thats not always the case.
    Then again, if you WANT to goto sea, dont go Navy, join the Coast Guard, no shit. They have a similar aviation program, a much higher standard of shipboard living, cleaner boats too, great opportunities, and if you wanna go into HAZMAT, they can be a great launching pad into a very lucaritive federal carreer (my brother in law did it, the prick!).
    Myself, I have managed to make a full career in planes too large for the boat and have yet to step foot on one of those big grey monsters (get orders to P-3's &/or enlist as an FTS and this is a real possibility, it's also easier to make rank to E5 in under 2 years as an FTS).

Give it thought, dont be hasty, and dont let the recruiters talk you into anything before you talk to people who have been there & done that.

AME1(AW) Waechter
    USN/FTS NAS Whibey Island

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.