Register now to get rid of these ads!

My kids Belly tank race car.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lockwoodkustoms, Dec 18, 2006.

1. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Well I am just getting home from boys Cub Scout meeting and why we were there one of the fathers had the nerve to ask me if my boy was going to be participating in the Pine Box derby. I thought for a moment and decided it would be better to just show up with a killer car than tell him off. So when my son and I got home we looked at some pictures and he choose the So Cal belly tank lakster. I thought what the hell let's do it. So from now till we are done I will post some pics as we build the derby car from Hell. I hope the other parents have some skills I may even film this shit and post it on you tube.

2. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

3. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

SWEET!! Kid has good taste!! Wish I had thought of that back in the scouts days.....

4. grim

grim

Too kool.. I can't wait to see those pictures

5. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Bobby Green has a belly tank soap box derby car. I think he raced it as well. Another friend Drew has one also....Bobby post some pictures....Luck

6. Gregory J. Liebau

Gregory J. Liebau
    from Kalifornia

I'm curious for the details on why exactly the man's asking you if your son would participate was offensive? I know that back when my dad was the head of my cub scout chapter some years ago we had nearly 40 or so kids that'd come regularly, and far from all of them participated in the event. Was his question blatantly rude, or what?

-Gregory-

7. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

If you had a spare $3500 layin around, you could have bought this one of Egay last week
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=290060594931&rd=1,1
    [​IMG]
    If not, You need to find a small tank, or make one. I've been into tanks for years, so I have found some in the past, but I couldn't tell you where to find one right now. Here are a few pics of small tanks and a couple soapbox cars myself and my buddy made. Including a carnival ride turned wagon I found at a swapeet last year. I hope it gives you some inspiration.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Oh, and by the way,...... Don't build a copy of the So-Cal tank, that's been done before. Build a copy of my tank, The Old Crow,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can call it the "Young Crow" hahaha.

9. that good stuff ! belly tanker pine wood derby car,coolest car in the derby!!

10. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I gotta admit I'm kinda curious about that too.
    I've got a fixture for truing wheels in the lathe.

11. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Well to clear things up the guy who asked me if my son was going to be participating in the race or not asked me when he first saw us. I had told him that we would be . So then he asked if I am sure and I said yes. Well then the Den leader had made his way over toward us with the kit for the pine box derby car and as soon as he saw the Den Leader he asks me again this time in front of the Den leader and with a sarcastic attitude. So I said "Yeah, I just said we are going to be participating." then the guy said Oh I was just wondering. To me this is rude.

12. Tulsa oldskool55

Tulsa oldskool55

I think I don't understand even better now

13. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I guess you had to be there.

14. Are you talking Pine Car or Soap Box??

I'm thinkin' that Pine Box is something else entirely, and not something you wish on your kid.

15. ambman

ambman

Does your Scout troop do Pinewood derby(little cars that run on a track) or soapbox derby(the ones you ride in)? here's some my son and I built. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

So, are you and your son going to be doing the pinewood derby thing?

Hey, is your kid going to be getting a car together for the derby?

17. flyin-t

flyin-t

green,
    when do they hold that soapbox race in el segundo? I took my kids to it a few years back, I must of read about it in the paper or something, but it's the only time we've been to it. You have the next date? thanks

18. 2_wheel_nation

2_wheel_nation
    from hudson, MA

whatever you do, don't be one of those dads who builds the car entirely for their kid only to relive his childhood and win above all else. let your son have fun, that's what pinewood derby's are for.

when i was in cub scouts there were these kids whose fathers worked at the big local tool factory. they were all machinists and made their kids these ridiculous cars with bearings and all sorts of stuff that is beyond the reach of ten year olds. their kids did nothing, i mean, these cars had insane paint jobs and everything. they carried them into the race in wooden boxes lined with velvet and shit (not kidding). we all hated those kids.

19. knuckle

knuckle
    from Missery

I don't remember if I ever won any races, but I remember winning a couple best design awards thanks to my dad.

Do they still have the restriction of having to use the provided kits? I would think a belly tank might be kind of hard to make out of one.

Good luck, can't wait to see the outcome.

20. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Would a real tank fall within the rules?

21. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Flyin T, They don't do it anymore unfortunately. The guy Mark that was putting the whole thing on moved to Texas. I would love to start it back up, but I just don't have the time. bummer

22. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Yeah , Pinewood Derby, Pine Box holy shit what am I thinking LOL.Duh!. Anyway it is the pine wood derby. I roughed the car out last night and he is going to final sand and we ar going to paint it together. I told himthat I would detail it for him. he will pick out his own colors. Oh yeah it is restrcted to certain demensions and no ball bearings. I guess they say You can use a dry lubricant. I will post pics of it tonight with him.

23. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Can you use the graphite on the wheels, like the powder they sell for locks and stuff, maybe sand edges of the wheels to lower the rolling resistance? If there is a min-max weight requirement( within the rules of course, its little kids after all ) you can use those soft lead weights from the fishing dept and glue them under the car. I wonder if a dremel tool with a flexabel shaft and sander tip on it would help with the curves. Man, I think im going to go find one to build now haha

24. Gregory J. Liebau

Gregory J. Liebau
    from Kalifornia

For those who seem confused... The Pinewood Derby races that are so well-known amongst scouts are using TINY pinewood cars on a downhill track with rails to hold the cars in place, usually some 20-30 feet long, I'd say.

Fun event, but far from what it seems some of you are imagining!

Anyway, in response to your response on my question, I'm sorry to hear the guy was bothering you with the question. It does seem out of line to ask three times in a row. Maybe you should have directed him to some hearing aids.

-Gregory-

25. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Pinewood derby belly tank, You could just throw the blank in a lathe and turn it? I wonder if it would look right? If the blank was round you could definitely make it work but I think you are stuck with the basic block they give you right? I am thinking it won't look right, too skinny. Post a pic anyway.

26. Ole don

Ole don

If the car is built, there may be only two people there who know its signifigance. You, and your son. But now we know, and that is what really matters. We all wish you well.

27. 2manybillz

2manybillz

Weight and Straight
    Weight it in the rear - make it maximum weight or a little heavy to adjust to their scale. Set it up so it sits on both back wheels and 1 front - ya want the other front wheel to miss the floor by a business card thickness. Test it to make sure it rolls straight - if it bounces off the sides it'll slow it way down. And be at the finish to pick it up - I've seen dropped cars start some stuff that went outside.

28. junk runner jr

junk runner jr

Been there done that. It was not pretty. I still have mine from 20 years ago. It looked like a Chaparell. Do a google search. There is a ton of info out there that may or may not be legal.

29. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

hahaha, this shit is too much. Too bad I missed out on these cars.