Register now to get rid of these ads!

YOM plates,Which states allow them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldfart, Dec 13, 2006.

1. South Dakota does, numbers must not be currently in use, mileage resrictions apply, $10 lifetime fee.

2. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Yep, $20 for any car 25 years old or older and your registration is paid until 2050. What Ohio does is issue you Historic tags and add your YOM tag number as an addendum. You're supposed to carry the Historics in the car also. A "Patina" YOM is fine as long as it's still painted in the original colors and legible. There are a few driving restrictions like cruises, parades, shows and such, but no mileage limitations. Unless you find a cop who doesn't understand the system or is having a very bad day, they don't seem to care if you drive your car daily. What's odd is seeing '80 Camaros, VW's and such running on Historics.

BTW, if you find an old Ohio tag with the numbers JN-282, don't bother trying to register it because that's my '64 Ford's number....:D

Jan

3. No problem with YOM plates in Georgia, car must be older than 1957. Just hung my '49 plate last weekend. Carry the regular issue plate in the car with paperwork too.

Historic plates are for pre-1986 vehicles. No accounting for taste. :D

4. Wisconsin Dosn't

5. Judd

Judd

YOM plate can be registered to your car in Mississippi Not sure of what regulations are required.

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

FL does, but you have to send the plate off to be verified, it cannot be repainted, but once certified, is good for life & may be restored then.

NM also has it, they just check the numbers I think....

7. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

That's too bad, ain't it? Every state around us does! Let's petition the DMV. Gotta be a revenue source, don't it?

8. rodsnhawgs

rodsnhawgs
    from WV

West Virginia says OK

9. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Don't forget though, YOM plates have to be registered as a collector car... which means you can't fucking drive it regularly.

Minnesota is a shitty state.

10. rixrex

rixrex

Welll, I learned this in Texas, when I bought my Studebaker it had a nice 1953 Texas plate on it. I went down to register it in my name and they said they couldn't because the previous owner had it registered as "personilized" but it was just numbers not something personal like FOXY LDY or 6UL DV8..I think he just screwed up..I said can't you just transfer numbers? she said no..So, I think I can get him to sign some sort of release form or get another set of 53 plates....rixrex

11. Paul2748

Paul2748

New Jersey, but front only. Rear must be historic, street rod or regular