Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Whatever happened to John Calles 303 Simca

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsir, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Roadsir

Roadsir

Not a very traditional car by any means but was really a neat Hot Rod . Lots of cool ideas for the early 70's.
    Is the car still around? Any pictures?

I think John was a PMD engineer, Black Simca, with 303 on the door. Ran drags and street khanas. Was supposedly a webered small block Chev. not a Pontiac motor??

2. Marko

Marko

I remember seeing that car in a magazine MANY years back. It was set up to handle well ( IFS I think ), and if I remember it had a de-stroked Pontiac motor ( maybe something designed to try to squeek Firebirds into the TransAm race series, before they were alowed to use sbc's). I hope someone fills in the years! Mark.

3. tomslik

tomslik

seems to me it had one of the honest to god 303 t/a engines(not all that available to the general public).
    i'll be watching this thread, i loved that car...

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I thought I read that it was a 347 57 engine to start with anyway.

I think he was the reason that NSRA dropped the streetkana. No one could beat him so they quit trying.:D If he attended an event, streetkana participation fell off.

It is a milestone car in my hot rod memory bank.

5. steele138

steele138

I remember a article or two on it.Black with blue numbers(?) I think it was a 303 had a wing fat tires major cage..Its been a while
    steele

6. brandon

brandon

that thing would have had to have been a rocket.......i mean what was it maybe 80" wheelbase....and a track width of 5 foot or something....it was a crazy setup.....definent permagrin maker.....brandon

7. I remember that car well from the mags, what an awesome little ride.

Where is it now?!?!?

8. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

It was a neat little car. As I remember, it was one of the first magazine cars with Appliance Wire Mags.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

9. A picture of it was included in an R&C magazine article (maybe five years ago???) focusing on famous coupes.

10. Roadsir

Roadsir

I googled this last night. Found a thread on a Pontiac site....People asking about it too. Can't even find the site now.
    But I think the car was featured in 1974 Hot Rod (at the height of the van craze).
    Supposedly a 10 Sec car , and yes I think it did have wire wheels.

11. Roadsir

Roadsir