Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Flatz VS. PPG Flattened

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by synthsis, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

ill send the extra doe on RM and house of kolor i want kolors that knowbody has and i think there pereals pop the best.
    suede forever!
    p.s.for a stand out suede job you cant go cheep

2. DHD

DHD
    from Ottawa, ON

Hmmmm..... I have found the ppg omni line to be very low hiding, there is a lot of mixing clear in it, probably why it is cheaper, although the Omni clear coat seems to work really well for a cheap clearcoat.

3. ray

ray
    from colorado

nope, U-tech. i shot my bike with it.

4. Nicholson

Nicholson

I use semi-flat black U-tech on our chassis', inner fenders, core suppports and stuff like that. My jobber mixes it pre-flattened for me in either a 75%, 50 %, or 25% gloss. I really like the stuff. It comes 3 quarts in a gallon with 1 quart of activator to make a gallon "kit". I think it runs about $150 for the kit. You can also reduce it. Mixing ratio is 3:1:1/2

5. Chad s

Chad s

I probably will go with U-tech. That way I can go to my local paint shop, pick out a color I like from a real paint chip book, and know Im buying a quality paint that sprays well. I can then get them to mix me a few different samples with different % of gloss, and get exactly what I want.

6. B.T.S

B.T.S
    from dago

I've had nothing but great results with the Hot Rod Flatz.there new 2.1 urethane product works awesome, get a gallon of ppg urethane for under 150.00? I don't think so. maybe some PPG house paint!!

7. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

flatz is the shit.....it sprays great and i have it on my 49 olds...everybody loves it

8. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

Speed Blue baby!!!!!

Attached Files:

9. devinshaw

devinshaw

I have done it both ways, adding flattener and shooting hot rod flatz urethane. The hot rod flatz is flatter, no shine. With flattener it only got to a semigloss satin with some shine left. It is probably cheaper to use the flatz in kit form. The flatz won't cover any cut through spots in the primer, it is almost transparent so make sure you have a solid base for the flatz.

10. MrNick

MrNick
    from Hemet, Ca

I saw a rod sprayed with rust olem satin black. Looked great. $8 a quart and thin with acetone. Has anyone else tried this?

11. Spridle

Spridle

Yes, a season in the sun, driven daily scenario, it chalks like the rest.

and U-Tech is not affiliated with PPG.

12. Chad s

Chad s

No, its made by azkno nobel (sp?), whi makes Sikkens and Lesnol. Its an excellant product for the money.

13. Spridle

Spridle

Ive used and liked Sikkens, but never touched Lesenol. U-Tech was only bought by them a few years back. Before then, whoa. Cheap prices for shitty shit. I agree its decent stuff now though.

14. 66deezntsz

66deezntsz
    from Sacramento

I did the exact same thing last weekend too and got way to dry and stripped. Was curious to exactly what you did to prep it to spray the flattened clear on it???. Don't know if you can tell in pics but here she is
    [​IMG]

15. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

i have sprayed a couple of my cars with XO rust. you get it at ace hardware. thinned out with acetone/thinner (1:1) and it flattens out pretty nice. the satin black looked better than any primer job ive seen. and when you keep it clean it looks just as good. you can also tint it with house paint. covers 220 grit scratches pretty good. if your going for dirt cheap, this is it. one coat pretty much covers and one gallon will do almost 2 cars. (sprayeda 62 cutlass and a 79 malibu with one can) just food for thought. it holds real good too.

16. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

grey scotchbrite for clear jobs.

17. Chad s

Chad s

I have only used the post-sikkens U-tech products, and liked them a lot. Ive also used PPG, and to me, as a hobbyist, its not wirth the difference in price, at least not now. Ive never used Lesenol, but my jobber says since they started carrying it, a lot of shops are using it, and prefering it over sikkens.

I am going to paint my car this spring in U-tech, but Im gonna leave it full gloss, the true traditional way, but I guess thats a discussion for a different thread.

18. 59elky

59elky

I have used the flatz about a year ago. I used the blood red color on my Model A. I looks great, but it in not a very tough paint. If you rub it with a rag it will turn pink. I prefer to use any base coat color and PPG 2060 Flat clear. It is pricey but tough as nails. Here is my Model A the Flatz does have a satin look.

[​IMG]

19. 66deezntsz

66deezntsz
    from Sacramento

Thanks that what I was going to do just never used that clear so wasn't sure.

20. 348tripower

348tripower

I am getting ready to get my 51 studebaker painted. Hopefully this week. I bought 2 gallons of the Hot Rod Flatz black. The painter didn't seem to see anything unusual in the tech information so here we go. I will post on the outcome of this when it is on the car. I should have some pictures too. I bought the paint last week. $120 per gallon for their Kit.

Don

21. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a good paint thread. A lot of good observations.

Some points to remember in this thread:

Cheap paint-You get what you pay for. They don't give away the "good stuff".

NO hardner= lots less durability.

Most less expensive colors/pigments (especially some reds, yellows and browns) are "poor hiders"-they don't cover well and a uniform undercoat (primer/sealer) is a big help, especially in a tone/shade close to the topcoat color.

3 coats of color. I saw several mentions about applying 3 color coats. This adds to the durability of the paint film and helps assure coverage. All in all, a good practise.

Flat paint DRIES FAST. Even experienced painters will get caught with dry spray/lines when using heavily flattened colors. The flat base makes paint dry MUCH faster. Always have extra reducer in a slower grade on hand, so you can adjust the flow out. Nobody wants the paint to "run", and since we usually spray glossy stuff, the much faster drying flat color catches most painters off guard" resulting in a dry look. A little test panel (flow check) will help dial in the right reducer for the ambient temperature.

Clear coat adds more durability (even flattened). Flattened color by itself has less durability than UNflattened color. It will scuff or mar much easier than gloss paint. Just something to be aware of.

overspray