Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for this car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmarv, Oct 27, 2005.

1. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

I know this may be a long shot, but you never know. I'm looking for the car pictured below. It was run in the mid 50's in SoCal and Western US. It originally had a flathead Ford V8, then a Chevy V8. It was last heared to be in the South Eastern part of the US, maybe Mississippi, but that was 30 years ago. The car was white, as in the picture, but was later painted black and all exterior chassis components were chrome plated. If you want more information about the car send me a PM. You never know what someone has in their barn or garage.

Attached Files:

2. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

What a great machine! It has proportions that were really ahead of its time.

Why not post some additional info here? I'd love to read more about it and I'm sure others would as well.

Where did it race?
    Do you have any chassis details?

3. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

That is is cool racer! I'll ask around to see if anybody knows about it;)

You must be a big Offy fan because I've noticed from one of your other posts that you know Tay & Jim & you want to make some parts with them.
    I know Dusty-CTO Machine, He helped me out alot when I started doing our line again as he was the one that actually machined all of Edelbrocks flatty stuff.
    Good luck & I try and help where I can.
    Kevin

4. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

The car was built by my Grandfather in 1953. He had an engine fire in his model A drag car and did like the engine in the front. He stripped the A down to the frame and built what you see here. The chassis is basically an A frame that has had the cross members removed. The frame rails were then flipped to get a lower profile. The width of the frame was determined by the motor mounts on the flathead engine. He used a side shift transmission connected directly to the pinion output shaft. He ran alot in Southern California, but also at Bonneville with a 331 hemi in it. In 1954, after getting sponsered by Offenhauser, he put the new Chevy V8 in it and went to the 1st NHRA Nationals with it. He never got eliminated at the race. The finals were rained out and Fred Offenahuser did not want to pay to go back to Kansas and finish the finals. The car was featured in the November 1954 issue of Hot Rod. It was know as the "White Owl" or "Smokin' White Owl" due it's white cigar shaped body. Unlike other rear-engined cars, this car was all hand built just for drag racing. The body was hand formed aluminum, not a belly tanker. Don Gartlis talked with my Grandfather in 1971 about this car when Don was developing his rear-engined car. In fact, the last time I talked to Don he called my grandfather "his hero". Weird to hear Don call someone his hero! Hope that answered any questions. So you know, the picture of the drag race start is at the 1st US Nationals. My Grandfather is on the left and Jack Moss is on the right.

Attached Files:

5. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is a great piece of Drag Racing History! Is the car still around?

7. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

Unfortunately, the car not around, that I know of. Last we heard, the car may be in the Mississippi area. That is why I posted this here, you never know what someone has in the barn or shed or wherever.

8. cabong

cabong

Hi Dan, Unless I miss my bet, This is Ollie Morris' Car. Darned if I can remember the cars name. I remember it from around 1960 to 1962. I used to hang around Ollie's shop, as he was a very good friend of my older brother. The tank was black at that time. You're right, I chased the car to Alabama? about 25 years ago, then lost track. Ollie was a great guy, but had his demons, like we all do. I absolutely loved his merc with the olds momo. He had built a fuel injection system for it. What a screamer. As I'm sure you know, he worked for Offie for many years later, after his shop closed. That's when he got divorsed, and things went to shit. I still have only good memories of Ollie.

I left a phone message for you about Offie '60' heads. They seem to be out of stock, and have been for some time. Do you know of any available?? This little 60 is going into an Almquist roadster to be vntage raced. Please lemme know. Thanks, Bruce

Bruce Glascock
    (208) 453-8606
    (208) 695-3956

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Bruce, Welcome to the HAMB, always nice to have another race car history guy on board.

10. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

Just called and left a message for you. Welcome to the HAMB! What was your brothers name? The name of the car you are looking for is "The White Owl" or "Smokin' White Owl". Thanks for the reply!

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I've always loved that car. I hope you find it!

12. willys_truck

willys_truck

I have not seen or heard of the car in my area. I am in central mississippi

13. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

If you don't find it, have you thought about re-making it?
    I may have, or be able to identify some of the bellytank parts that were used.

14. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

I am currently remaking the car. I just thought that I would throw a line out here and see what happens. The car's body was made from hand formed aluminum, not a belly tank. Thanks for the help, but it looks good old elbow grease to make the body. As of right now, the chassis is done. I am looking for some World War II aircraft safety belts for it. I need the lap belt and the straps that go over your shoulders. If anyone knows where to find some, let me know!
    I can't work on the body until I get the safety belts.

15. 97

Dan,

Since you posted this first I have been looking everywhere for a photo I took of this car in 1994 in Mobile ,Alabama.

I have only ever been there the once so I know that is when I saw it.

I took notice at first because it had three exhaust stubs ( therefore I thought (knew) it had a flathead) .I was kinda surprised to see a rear engine single seater with a flathead, and I thought it was much newer than 50s.
    I guess it was just advanced for it's time.
    I never gave it another thought at the time just took a photo and thought it was cool to see someone who liked flaties enough to build a car like this.

I can't find the pic but I can remember where I saw the car in Mobile , It was painted a different color, ( purple I think). It still had 606 on the side , in gold or yellow, that's what caught my attention when you first started this thread.

I will PM ya with description of where I saw it.

16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the plot thickens...and the suspense builds...as we move to the edge of our seats...we yearn to know more...

17. Sanderson37

Sanderson37

Yeah I love wild goose chases. Hopefully for you dmarv it wont be too wild. That would be so kick ass if you found out who had it. My grandpa tells me all the time about cars hes owned/built and ive always wanted to know where they are. Hope this one works out for you.

18. noboD

noboD

What a Grandpa ride!!

19. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

OK, it's been a year since my original post. I want to throw this back to the top to see what happens.

20. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

BTT...THANx for sharing your history!

21. So did 97 ever find that pic? Was it the same car? The suspence is killing me...

22. Send Dreadman a PM. He just told me he had some,Saturday,at the Mooneyes show. I'll tell him you are looking for some.

23. SleestakJones

SleestakJones

Where the hell is Matlock when you need him?

24. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

Still looking!!!

25. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

Still looking!!!

26. Try Columbia Aeromotive in Troutdale Oregon, they have at times a lot of early stuff. Sorry no phone number but that should be easy enough to find.

27. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  28. Clicking on the link you posted brings up this message... Please try again ?
    "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

29. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

Oops! Should be fixed now. Thanks.

30. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

I know this is an old thread, but there are alot more members here than when I first posted this, so back to the top ot goes.