Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ultimate epoxy for pot metal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sawracer, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Hey Guys I got a winfield sr bb carb in the mail today and it got a broken tab in transit. I am done cussing and am ready to repair it. I need a bitchin epoxy that 'll hold under at least 15 lbs of torque! I know about jb weld and don't like it. I don't think marine tex is commercially available anymore. Thanks alot.

2. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

anyone?

3. Flop

Flop

how bout one from the "pc brand" i kno there are different numbers (like pc7 and pc11)for different things but i have used the stuff before and seems like legit stuff i know it says the torque and psi on the package i got it at home depot

4. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I have seen this done, but never done it myself...Know anyone that is really handy with a tig welder?

I have seen fender extensions that were broken tig'ed back together, and a couple of carb bases...I know this about it-

#1-15 foot pounds is about all you can depend on
    #2- do not under any circumstances attempt to use a filler rod- the metal has to be "autogenous" welded- it's like gas welding on a really small level Sand blasting the part is also a no-no, as the sand gets embedded into the metal and expands when it melts, creating an officially fucked weld.
    #3- it welds like aluminum, but the amperage has to be really low, or you make the damaged part into a puddle.

if you have an older established machine shop around (it helps if they do aluminum cylinder heads) they probably have a welder around that can pull it off-aluminum heads are notoriously "dirty" castings-and act alot like pot metal. Presision Engine service here in Austin has repaired broken ears on carbs for me in the past (I am clumsy...) and I have brought Dennis older pot metal carbs and he patched 'em up for me. (I think he charged me around 20 bucks an ear, but he certianly wasn't in a hurry to "git 'er done" either...)

best of luck!

0one last thing- I fixed a breather with a broken ear by drilling and "pinning" the ear, then J.B. welding it, but I had the advantage of "pookey" for the completed repair...might be worth a shot if you're handy with a drill and a hammer.

5. madgrinder

madgrinder

I had some welding done on Corvair heads... the welder said he'd seen better aluminum used in patio furniture.:eek:

6. Jdee

Jdee

I hear this stuff is super strong.
    http://www.belzona.com/prod1k.aspx
    Its cost a good bit I think, have not used it but have had
    customers ask me to get some for their projects...
    Jdee

7. Haunted Ken

Haunted Ken

I successfully fixed a broken ear on an older Carter using stuff I got out of a POR-15 window channel repair kit..... well, at least it's working so far.......I let it cure for a week and then used JB as a primer/filler to ensure a flat base flange...... sanded it all flat on the bottom and bolted it on..... 12#'s on the bolts..... so far so good.... it's been a year......

8. Gigantor

Gigantor

If you scuff the surfaces real good, that "quick steel" cold weld shit in the little tube is amazing. It comes in a tube about the size of a roll of quarters. Just slice off the amount you want to use, and mash it together. The more you knead it, the more supple it gets. Dries hard "as steel" in under an hour. I keep a couple tubes of that all over the place ... smells kinda funny too.