Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this going to far? 56 Ford truck 60's style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blue collar guy, Dec 10, 2006.

1. DrJ

DrJ

Stretch the rear fender till it's almost as long as the bed and raise it till the Ranchero fin is the same height as the bed rail.
    Smooth off the wheel opening lip and make flush full wheel hiding skirts.
    If you haven't already, center the too far back from the factory front wheels in the opening or move the front of the opening back till the wheel looks centered.

Those trucks were made for that Chrysler front end treatment!

2. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Thats ineresting.and yes I did center the wheel in the opening. thanks Scott

3. knuckle

knuckle
    from Missery

Probably not an option, but the bed needs shortened to pull the rear fenders up to the back of the cab. Doing so would off set the Ext. Cab proportionally.

4. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

looks different but i think the lights are too big....maybe something like 62 mercury lights stuffed in some place might work......[​IMG]

5. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Did you happen to draw this up on paper first? There are some among us who like to badmouth Foose but before he starts a build he already knows exactly what it's going to look like. As with any project, it's the sum of the parts that count...

6. rockabillyjoe

rockabillyjoe
    from Seattle

Just my 2 cents worth. I think that as far as flow is concerned. I would bring the bedrails to follow into the curve of the tailgate. Tail lights look cool but out of place on what your building. Essentially it's your truck. Do what your gut tells ya. Stare at it for a while, see if its what you want to live with.

7. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Heres my thoughts: Really like the ranchero tailgate, and its angle. Ever thought of using the tail lights and part of the fins, from a 60-61 Chrysler? on this? I think these tailights, might fit the bed side lines, pretty close and really make the lines of this flow better. Your work looks great!

8. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

I don't think the bed look bad proportionaly when the running boards are on . thanks Scott

9. No such thing as TOO FAR!!!!!!!!! Do what you think is right and we will follow!! Kick ass truck! I have a 50 Stude truck and will be trying to follow the same direction as you only mine is going to be a tow viehicle for my old drag car. Nothing says coool like a tow ride as slick as the ride on the trailer!!

Keep cutting and customizing!!

10. mikes51

mikes51

I'll agree, seems the bed rails were the first things to change in the wild 60's. I think replacing them, visually, with exhaust pipes was done alot back then.

11. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

I think it looks cool as hell the way it is.
    I also think you should build the truck that YOU like.
    Don't worry about what other people think.
    If it's too wild for them, they don't have to build theirs the same way.
    Lot of people said the same thing when I bobbed the front
    fenders on mine. I like it, and don't care how popular it is.

Craig

Attached Files:

12. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

If we don't do the ranchero tail lights we were planing on running belly burners for exaust.

13. Add another vote against the Ranchero tail lights. The front of the truck has such clean, flowing lines and I think the Ranchero lights detract from that. I agree with the idea of putting the lights down low...maybe '61 Impala in the fender?

Bryan

14. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i like it they way the light is trimmed on the left fender. tailgate looks real cool too. the only thing i don't like is the stretched cab. nice work and all but it just looks too long. oh well. overall i realy dig the stuff your doing to it.

15. purple

purple

I don't like the taillights, just too damn big. 49 Merc lights would be killer. I din't read everything, but are you doing something different with the wheels? They look so small like that, maybe graft the wheelwells from the ranchero for a smaller opening.

16. Check out the Dodge Styleside and the R&C Dream truck for some inspiration.
    Visualize using most of the Ranchero or larger station wagon quarter panel.
    Just a thought.

17. swap the bed sides right to left-left to right so the rails will be on the inside

then add freezer type lid .. use a panel truk roof
    add wedge shape (like a section of a orange)to flat area like a layed down spare tire cover

just keep cutting up more stuff and adding it til the tires pop ;)
    paperdog

18. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Thanks for all the feed back. It helps alot. Some time when your to close to something it help to step back and get anouther view. I just got 30 new views over a week end . So hopefully I will go in to the shop this morning and see what need to be done. Thanks again and I will keep you guys posted. Scott

19. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I think the 57 taillights/fins work. I understand the big taillight thing if it's going to be a true "daily driver" fighting traffic everyday. If you stick with these taillights, I'd make up a set of the old "sa-tail-lites" like Cal Custom sold in the late 50's. I think they would take away the "big light" look, and give it a good 60's show truck vibe. I would also do the box side pipes to add more appeal to the box side. And by all means if your going to run the Chrysler grill...Add quads and tuck those fenders! See Craigs photo's for a perfect example.

20. Man, that is sweet! I love the king cab look! I'm impressed with the fabrication work...you've just inspired some interesting thoughts for my 58 Apache :D

21. love it!!! like the tail lights in the fenders!!

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I like the the truck! I like the use of the fender on the passenger side utilizing the top rail of the quarter, better than the pic of it on the drivers side.

23. If it were me, I would modify the tail light housing to use a smaller lense. I would also add a piece of steel to the bed rails to make a wing like the lights have.

24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Like this?

Attached Files:

25. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Front end and taigate look great! I think it would be cool to do some molding on the bed rails to make them look like fins and maybe incorperate some tail lights into the fins like some chryslers had. The side view of the bed almost looks like the bedrails want to be fins.

26. Plowboy

Plowboy

I too think the bed rails need to go. You could leave it a "bed' like I did on the Sea Hag and just add the fins to the top. Or you could make fins like Jeff Savage from indy did on his green truck (I don't have pics) or you could go for the whole quarters like the Pink Freak truck of Bill Bierman's or my blue truck.

It just depends on what outrageous/functional ratio you want. I would definitely lose the stock rails though.

27. Everybody's got an opinion, mine is; go for it, the pods turned out great! The paint will make it.................Lee

28. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Ok here is what we did . The fin got moved down on the finder about 2". Wich made the fin flow in to the fender better. Then we are going to cut the bed rails down to the same angle as the end of the fin. I have to fix the rust on the tail gate. So it is off right now soon as it's back on I will post the pictures. Thanks Scott

29. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

I don't want it to look like that at all. It looks to new or plastic.

30. Stone

Stone