Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another E-bay alert, pile o' cars up for auction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carguy365-24-7, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

2. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

wow,,scrap yard offered $8000.00 for 50 scrap cars?! i knew metal was up.but didnt know it was up that much.:D

3. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

Looks like nature is already scraping them.

4. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

I would buy that, but I'm a couple thousand miles away. :D

5. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

a buddy of mine get's $150 a car about an hour outside of houston.

6. jbergman

jbergman

The picture reminds me of a guys yard in Ste. Genevieve, MO back in the mid '80's. Most of the cars or should I say all of the cars did not have frames or floor boards any more. But somebody bought them and cleaned up the house and yard. The yard would flood in the spring every couple of years.

7. msuguydon

msuguydon

This pile of cars is located 15 minutes outside of Indy! Thats suprising to me

8. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Most of us Indy guys have already seen these cars over the years. There is not much left of any of them and there are some trees that need to be moved to get them out. It's a shame. There were a lot of neat cars in there but they are BAD.

9. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

well,i guess thats about right then,,just seemed like alot for a scrap yard to pay

10. msuguydon

msuguydon

Scooby

As I am new to the area, there is another PILE-O-Cars near Spencer, IN, a house along 46, whats the story with that pile. Have thought about stopping and knocking on the door of that house.

11. The Hamb should pitch in. A $1 from each person should get us the whole thing :)

How cool is that!

12. "I'd hate to see all these good irreplaceable parts destroyed."

he should of thought of that while the crap was rotting away

13. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

Haha, that's a sweet idea. The only problem would be deciding how to divide everything up between everyone.

14. Jefe54

Jefe54
    BANNED
    from SOCAL

Why dont a group of HAMBers pay the man 9k, take what they can and scrap the rest to the same guy offering 8k. If 10 of you went in it would only cost you 100 bucks to go through this stash and take what you want, minus what the scrapper will deduct... But still, better make sure the scrapper is legit with that 8k.

15. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

uuhhh Jefe? It would be $1000 bucks each if 10 went in on this... It's that new math!:)

16. builtbyme

builtbyme

Beat me to it Rix
    Or 100 at $100 each:rolleyes:

17. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I don't know the cars in Spencer but there is a huge Packard farm up on SR5 (south of 14 I think) and the people there were really nice. Cars seemed better than these last time I was there. There were an easy 100 Packards.

18. Jefe54

Jefe54
    BANNED
    from SOCAL

Thanks Kurt!!!

19. Crestliner

Crestliner

From the looks of them, they would pull apart trying to load.

20. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

there used to be alot more there. the old man who started the collection in the 60s or so , from what i hear, passed away many years ago. he used to dig in dumpsters for food and stuff. i believe it is his offspring that has put the yard on ebay. it has been pretty picked through . we were actually talking about this yard about a week ago. strange...

21. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

This always gets me. Why the he** do the owners wait to sell the stuff till after it's mostly useless?????? GRRRRRRRRR. Normal

22. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

anybody know of any 1957 Lincolns or 57-60 trucks in boneyards around here?

23. We have a rough '57 Lincoln, a '57 Ford pickup and a '60 Ford panel here.

This stuff doesn't look any worse than what I see locally, and some of the cars look complete - a '47-8 Olds with the grille in it?? And is that a '53-4 Chev ragtop, or a hardtop?

None of these are going to fall apart except maybe the really stripped unibody cars. Trust me, I know, I've been messing with moving cars like this for years - usually NY stuff that's seen road salt, too. They have to be really bad to come apart, and even that is predictable, what breaks, where and why.

But he will probably never sell the whole lot to anyone but a scrapper, and they usually go $100 a car if they have to come get them - it depends on if they can crush them on the spot, or have to haul them more or less whole.

Your Chevys and 49-up Fords will probably all have bad frames, the unibody cars probably won't be savable, but the big GM stuff with heavy frames should be okay, unless the ground is wet. Plenty of useable tin, glass and stainless there though. I looked at a Stude last week that needed a back window, and I'm not sure I can get one locally anymore.

It's probably worth $5000 or so to go and strip the sedans and take the 2drs somewhere else, and 50 cars you could do with one or two local guys and a rollback, if you can get in and out of the lot without a tractor.

For what it's worth, this is why I don't have a nice ride now - every time I find something like this I buy as many as I can afford to save 'em and try and resell them to people. I still can't figure out why the Willys I found doesn't attract a single offer, though, it's like it's haunted or something.

24. Squablow

Squablow

Yeah, I see a nice Olds grille in there, at least one Flathead V8, and a Chevy Fleetline with all the side trim on it yet.

I'm betting that virtually none of the cars are fixable, but there is a ton of good parts laying out there. If it were closer, I'd seriously consider offering the guy $500 or $1000 to go out there and pick off all the good trim parts and such, then he can still get the $8K from the scrap yard when I'm all done. Wouldn't be bad at all.

25. OLLIN

OLLIN

yeah, lots of good fenders and hoods too probably. the buick looks pretty good too. Studebaker front fenders too, would look cool on a shoebox ford like that one in "custom cars of the 50's". you could keep a bunch of stuff and sell th rest at the swapmeets or ___.
    a lot of it does look pretty rusty though...

26. junk-junkie

junk-junkie
    from Arvada CO

27. I bet if the deceased owner had a dollar for every time someone asked him if he would sell one of his cars and he told them they "weren't for sale" he would have had enough money to restore all of that junk! I'm getting about tired of the "I'M GONNA RESTORE THEM CARS SOMEDAY!" attitude of all these old hoarders. Their stuff sits forever, goes to shit and then their family just has the stuff hauled away when they die anyway.

28. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

29. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

30. That is $160 a car, pretty low actually. The scrap yards is probably making three or four times that on each one. I have gotten as much as $250 a car just in sheet iron in the recent months.