Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T, need a bit of help of with a 92 Ford...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dillonivik, Dec 7, 2006.

1. dillonivik

dillonivik

Alrighty so i have this 1992 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor. Sweet car except it has an uneven idle. When its warm it will sometime surge a bit. Its vary incosistant. I have checked for vac leaks and all that, even replaced a bad idle air control valve. Anybody have an idea what it might be? I just figured i would ask here since it seems the HAMB has a large knowledge base for just about everything...

2. Sounds like it is searching for its idle. If there is no vac leak, then look into setting the minimum air gap for the throttle body. I do not know the spec or procedure, but I am sure somewhere on the web you could find it....also, check the basics, timing etc.

3. dillonivik

dillonivik

Ill look into a TB air gap, as far as timing, its fired off a crank sensor so theres no adjusment and no dizzy either. Theres just 2 coil packs...
    Oh and to add, the air cleaner is new, but even with this little issue to still passed smog. So that leads me to believe its not anything major...

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

You might want to also try replacing the Throttle Position Sensor. I've heard of the same problem on some of the 5.0 Mustangs and the TPS sometimes fixes the problem. Not a very expensive part if it doesn't work. Just my $.02
    Good luck.

Malcolm

5. Ghostrdr

Ghostrdr
    from Missouri

Might be related to fuel pressure or low voltage at one of the injectors. Had a similar bugaboo on a TPI 305 chevy, and it tured out to be the electrical connector on a couple of the injectors. But I have heard similar issues from clogged injectors and even fuel pump/filter issues.

6. Take off the air intake sensor (attached to air cleaner box)and look inside at the thin wire type sensor.
    They tend to get a bit of fuzz or dust buildup on them, which throws off the idle, and will also cause a stumble on acceleration.

7. try cleaninGcleaning the idle air contol valve/sensor is a very common problem with fords,i would use carb cleaner to it,you may have to take it off-pm me if you have any problems

8. ig'nant

ig'nant

That's my bet as well.

9. squirrel

squirrel

also if you haven't put new spark plugs in it, do that...

10. Use brake cleaneer or contact cleaner for this.

Beyond the good advice already given in this thread; You should, after making any changes, remove the battery neg cable and step on the brake pedal. reconnect the battery and let the EEC box relearn its strategies while you drive.

Stu

11. try here....

www.crownvic.net they seem to know everything there is to know about crown vics....police interceptors are their pets...

might also try having the computer codes read somewhere?

12. mrkerb

mrkerb

My vote is for the oxygen sensor.

13. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Ya may also wanna check the 5.0 and other Mustang sites.....
    these Engines have been on duty for over twenty years, and
    every kinda problem possible has reared its ugly head, and dis-
    cussed on these sites.
    Swankey Devils C.c.

14. squirrel

squirrel

you might find that the 92 crown vic has the "new" 4.6 mod motor, not the old 5.0

15. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like she needs a new TPS to me. They're cheap and easy to install as noted. The '92-up Vics did have the 4.6 motors as Squirrell mentioned. I drove a '93 P-71 for a work car until last year. I crushed it this spring because it was nicklin' and dimin' me to death. The downside with a P-71 is that when any Interceptor specific parts break, they're twice (or more) expensive than stuff for civilian Vics.

Jan

16. Haunted Ken

Haunted Ken

um..... plug it into a computer (OBDII) and learn everything that is going on...... could be several things....

better yet, start throwing money at it.... eventually, you will get it sorted out.....

17. squirrel

squirrel

92 won't have obd-II, and I fully agree with the bit about throwing money at it....you can drop some $$$ pretty quick. About the only thing I'd replace without testing first would be plugs and fuel filter, but only if they have been on the car a while.

18. Ghostrdr

Ghostrdr
    from Missouri

My 91 caprice cop car had upgrade everything too but chevies tend to be cheap no matter what. Also for example on the alternator it had the uprated unit but the only difference between it and the other was a bracket whic was easily removed. I was able to find parts or make civilian parts work everywhere I went. The 700R4 tranny would have been easy and cheap enough to rpelace as well. The AOD in the 91 vic I sold at auction was twice the cost. and thanks to fords interchangeability issues, the earlier AODs would not work in the 91, and then of course the 92 and newer had the mod motors and everything changed again. I wish I could like fords but my fiorst and second cars pretty much scared me away. This little SUV thing I have now is mostly Mazda underneath, but the tranny is already showing AOD like shifting and hunting weaknesses at 80,000 miles.

19. Abrasive

Abrasive

If it's the 5.0, here's a couple suggestions:
    -SBF like the cheapest autolite plugs you can buy.
    -If you're replacing plugs/etc anyways, put good wires in (Ford Racing or Taylor Spiro's), Autolite plugs, a good MSD coil, and new cap rotoe, etc. The upgraded wires and coil will allow you to gap the plugs out to .055, and bump the timing from 10* to about 13.5*. If you're replacing that stuff anyway, it doesn't really cost you much more to do this, it has no ill-effects, it's good for a bit of a performance gain, and usually between 1 and 2 mpg improvement.

Hope you get it all sorted.

EDIT: If you don't know how to pull your engine codes, PM me and I'll forward you the information. It easy. You just need to make a jumper wire, then count how many times the check engine light flashes.

20. squirrel

squirrel

he's working on a mod motor, the 5.0 stuff and distributor recommendations really won't do him a lick of good. the 4.6 doesn't have a distributor.

21. Abrasive

Abrasive

Ahhh, I missed that post.
    I thought the Vic's had the 5.0 until '94 or so.
    My mistake.

22. ig'nant

ig'nant

Aw hell, so did I.