Register now to get rid of these ads!

December 7th, 1941

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by manicmechanic, Dec 6, 2006.

1. rodsnhawgs

rodsnhawgs
    from WV

God bless all our vets past and present. I read we're losing the WWII era generation at 1000 per day in America. My dad served on the USS Duluth in WWII...I miss him.

2. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

My dad was in the Army/Air Corp during the war. He is still with us. I plan on calling him later. Many guys did not make it out of that war. The Dec 7 attack was a brutal,cowardly act. Times change and people forget, but don't forget the second invasion.....Honda,Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Suburau etc.

3. Don't leave Mitsubishi out, they made the Zero!

I thought it was ironic that Mitsubishi painted there cars an almost perfect match to the Zero's grey/green a few years ago.

4. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

A moment of silence for those who fought and fell.

Attached Files:

5. Clutch 2

Clutch 2
    from Maryland

I was at an antique shop the other day just browsing,killing time,when i happened across a"Remember Pearl Harbor"pin. It was in pretty good shape for being 65 years old. WW2 always interested me, so i bought it. My '41 chevy has the original ration sticker in the windshield and a "Roosevelt for president" decal in the rear window so it just seemed natural i put it in that car. Both my uncles served and we do owe everyone who did serve a great deal! Heres to all the WW2 veterans!

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

lest we forget the devistation wrought that day
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was reading an article about this not long ago, it stated that the US heavy fleet would have made little impact on the outcome of the war in the Pacific had it not been decimated at Pearl. Made me laugh, even know the carriers were the main targets the Jap's didn't sail all that way just to take a look!! It also noted that every war that has been started by Japan in recorded history have all been by 'surprise attacks', kinda cowardly huh?

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

you need to stop.

9. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

i agree 100%.it makes me sick to see how our government has become a bunch of passive babies,who are afraid of hurting someones feelings.the WWII generation would have never thought to have a poll to see it is good idea to wipe out two cities in JAPAN.instead they just DID IT.Guess what,we have not had anymore problems from JAPAN,have we!

WE NEED TO TAKE A CUE FROM THE PAST, GROW A BACKBONE,AND TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY.

my rant is done,thanks for your time.

-danny

10. History repeats itself. Hope it happens soon.

11. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

I’m tired of playing by the rules, nobody else plays by the rules. What ever happened to “All’s fair in love and war”? Some may not like or agree with the actions of our country, but we must never forget the men and women that serve and give the ultimate sacrifice so that we may have and express our opinions. God bless America.

12. .

Boy, isn't that the truth. We'll never live such great days with such a fine President again.

Pearl Harbor, never forget.

13. Django

Django
    from Chicago

This is an interesting pic of a Mitsuibishi Betty crash site in the jungles of Yap Island with the logo stamped in the data plate.

[​IMG]

One of the last surviving airborne pilots in the attack on Pearl Harbor passed away...

Kenneth Taylor; Flew Against Pearl Harbor Raiders

By Patricia Sullivan
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, December 3, 2006; C07

Kenneth M. Taylor, 86, an Army Air Forces pilot who managed to get airborne under fire near Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, and shot down at least two Japanese attacking aircraft, died Nov. 25 at an assisted living residence in Tucson. He had been ill since hip surgery two years ago.

He was a new second lieutenant on his first assignment, posted in April 1941 to Wheeler Army Airfield in Honolulu. A week before the Japanese attacked, his 47th Pursuit Squadron was temporarily moved to Haleiwa Field, an auxiliary airstrip about 10 miles from Wheeler, for gunnery practice.

After a night of poker and dancing at the officers' club at Wheeler, where the dress code required tuxedoes, 21-year-old Lt. Taylor and fellow pilot George Welch awoke to the sound of planes flying low, machine-gun fire and explosions. They learned that two-thirds of the U.S. aircraft at the main bases of Hickam and Wheeler fields were demolished or unable to fly.

They quickly pulled on their tuxedo pants and, while Welch ran to get Lt. Taylor's new Buick, Lt. Taylor, without orders, called Haleiwa and commanded the ground crews to get two P-40 fighters armed and ready for takeoff.

Strafed by Japanese aircraft, the pair sped 10 miles from Honolulu to Haleiwa. At the airstrip, they climbed into their fighters, which were fueled but not fully armed, took off and soon attracted fire from the Japanese, who had not expected to be challenged in the air. Suddenly, they were in combat, two pilots against 200 to 300 Japanese aircraft.

Soon out of ammunition, Welch and Lt. Taylor landed at Wheeler to rearm. Senior officers ordered them to stay on the ground.

"He had been wounded by that point and was bleeding," said Lt. Taylor's son, retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Kenneth Taylor Jr. "But while ground crews were rearming the planes, and he was being lectured on his behavior, the Japanese attacked Wheeler again. That scattered the crowd, and [Lt. Taylor and Welch] took off. My dad actually hit some ammo carts as he was taking off and fired his guns before he was off the ground."

His father told the Army Times in 2001: "I took off right toward them, which gave me the ability to shoot at them before I even left the ground. I got behind one of them and started shooting again. The only thing I didn't know at that time was that I got in the middle of the line rather than the end. There was somebody on my tail.

"They put a bullet right behind my head through the canopy and into the trim tab inside. So I got a little bit of shrapnel in my leg and through the arm. It was of no consequence; it just scared the heck out of me for a minute."

Official records credit Lt. Taylor with two kills. His son noted that his father thought he had two more, although in the heat of the battle he didn't see the planes hit the ground, and potential witnesses were too busy to keep track. Welch was credited with four downed Japanese planes. American aircraft losses were estimated at 188 destroyed and 159 damaged, and the Japanese lost 29 planes.

For their service, Lt. Taylor and Welch were awarded the first Distinguished Service Crosses of World War II. Lt. Taylor later received the Distinguished Service Medal, the Legion of Merit, the Air Medal and other decorations. He also received a Purple Heart for his injuries.

A family friend, John Martin Meek, has been trying for the past five years to get the Distinguished Service Cross upgraded to a Medal of Honor, with a campaign at his Web site, http://www.pearlharborhero.net.

Born Dec. 23, 1919, in Enid, Okla., Kenneth Marlar Taylor was raised in Hominy, Okla., and entered the University of Oklahoma in 1938. After two years, he quit school to enlist in the Army Air Corps.

His first commanding officer, retired Gen. Gordon Austin, chose Lt. Taylor and Welch as his flight commanders shortly after their arrival in Hawaii.

"He was skillful as a pilot and a well-oriented officer," said Austin, now 93 and living in Alexandria. "You couldn't ask for a better flying officer in your squadron. He was willing to do anything, I'm sure. The enemy was all around and he was going after them."

After Pearl Harbor, the young pilot was sent to the South Pacific, flying out of Guadalcanal, and was credited with downing another Japanese aircraft. During an air raid at the base one day, someone jumped into a trench on top of him and broke his leg, which ended his combat career.

He rose to the rank of colonel during his 27 years of active duty. He became commander of the Alaska Air National Guard and retired as a brigadier general in 1971. He then worked as an insurance underwriter in Alaska, representing Lloyds of London, until 1985.

Gen. Taylor split his retirement between Anchorage and Arizona. He was a technical adviser for the 1970 film "Tora! Tora! Tora!" in which his character was played by actor Carl Reindel. In the 2001 movie "Pearl Harbor," actor Ben Affleck played a character based on Gen. Taylor, although he was not consulted and considered the film "a piece of trash . . . over-sensationalized and distorted," according to his son.

"My dad was modest and retiring about all this," his son said. "I have picked up what I know about it in snippets over the years. He was always self-conscious about people making a big deal of it, and he wanted to be remembered as a good husband, a good provider and a good citizen."

Survivors, in addition to his son of Green Valley, Ariz., include his wife of 64 years, Flora Love Morrison Taylor of Tucson; a daughter, Tina Hartley of Mercer Island, Wash.; and three grandchildren.

14. manicmechanic

manicmechanic

Did anyone see the 32 4 door sedan in one of the photos? Just think that 32 was only 9 years old.

15. Mike

Mike

The flagpole from the USS Arizona flies a flag over the Veteran's Memorial Cemetary here in Phoenix, only 2 miles from here at work. I will go there and pay may respect after work today.

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

Dad served in the Jungles of New Guinea, Lone Tree Hill, Maffin bay,...assult landing at Sansapor,.... and at Langayen Gulf Luzon on D-Day, the battle for Munoz, the assault on Bataan, they broke the Shimbu Line, Mt Mataba, Mt. Pacawagan, Lanes ridge of Mount Santo Demingo,........ and a lot of engagement in between,..... 238 days continuous combat,.....U.S. Army, 6th. Inf., 63rd Reg.,............
    Hunderds of thousands of Men heard the call of duty and layed it all on the line,....... ( have sence and still do )

This is what our Fathers have given us,..... paid for in Blood, this land we love came to us through a hugh price,..... Lets NEVER FORGET IT !

The most fitting thing we can do to Honor these brave and valiant men is to Love and protect this Great Nation that they fought and died for, keep her from harm, and earn what they have entrusted to us.

17. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

I just spoke to my students about this. Unfortunately, many of them don't even know who were our allies and who we were fighting. To them, it's just a jumble of WWII, Korea and Vietnam. No distinction between them.

After our discussion, they were aware of the sacrifices of over 406,000 Americans. Thanks and appreciation for the Greatest Generation.

18. Thanks to those who fought and those who died.....if any hambers are in the islands please relay are prayers and thanks...The guys who returned are truly the forefathers of our lifestyle!

19. Respect to all those who have served in the past, present, and future. Never forget.

20. Right on.the bell is here in Tucson Arizona.at the UofA.I should do the same I'm ex navy

21. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

I was stationed at Pearl for 3 years. There are still buildings on Hickam Air Force base with bullet holes all over them. Lots of emotions there. For those of you that have been to the memorial there are way more foreign japanese there than americans paying their respects. Sad but true.

22. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan

My Dad (87 and still going 90 to nothin) pulled into pearl about a month after the attack. Fires still burning. He spent the war in the south pacific. I am extremely proud of this man and all who served and are serving. I am thankful everyday to have a living history book as my dad. Respect and blessings to all who perished and survived.

Peace

23. My respect to your Dad & his buddys..now how about pics of the 39

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

My heartfelt thanks to the men and women who served and are currently serving.

25. Abomination

Abomination

26. The whole WWII generation deserves our highest respect and admiration. They made the USA able to become what it is today, I only hope that we do not lose the foundation these brave men and women set.

27. moparvetern

moparvetern

i give thanks each day for our military. being a veteran myself, i never once worried over losing my life as i believe that it would be well worth it in the defence of the finest country in the world. "Remember Pearl!!"

28. My respect now (as always).....and when I'm there in a little over a month's time. It shall be a pretty humbling moment.

29. December 7th 1941;"...a day that will live in infamy....." That said it all. In memory of my stepfather-to-be who went down near the island of Kiska(in the Aleutian Islands) on the day I was born(January 25th 1944)and to all who served with him.

30. ianblaster

ianblaster
    from Dothan, AL

If you know a WWII veteran, get all of the tales and story out of them while you can. The generation is coming to an end. I had the honor several years ago to go flying with a bomber pilot in his Beechcraft Baron. What an honor.