Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T ? Fingertip cracks from winter work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by re49, Dec 5, 2006.

1. re49

re49

I get cracked skin in the corner tip of my thumbnails that sends a pain that feels like it's from the same nerve as when you hit your thumb with a hammer. Not intense but sharp and annoying when doing bench work.

Anybody have any remedies?? Used to use Bag Balm (joke if you want), but doesn't seem to work as good anymore.

2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

The brush on "nu-skin" products do wonders. Once you brush it on it's INSTANT relief! Once you block the air its all good! My dad sanded off his fingtips polishing his Halibrands and was in REALLY bad shape. I gave him that stuff and he was right back in business. Check it out.

3. Haunted Ken

Haunted Ken

I use superglue

4. toilet paper and duct tape.

5. I get the same splits in the ends of all my fingers, as well as all the way down the insides of my fingers. It hurts. Especially when Brake cleaner is involved.

I found putting vaseline, lotion, or neosporin all over the affected areas and putting on a latex glove over it so it can swim in the stuff you put on works. Put on alot. Wear the glove as long as possible. Even sleep with them on if you can.

Also, protecting your hands from the cold, or chemicals in the first place will help too.

6. Powerband

Powerband

Thought it was just me , I have taken to wearing nitrile gloves with carbs and gas stuff but I was doin carpentry and lightly ran my fingers across a wall to wall carpet - tackless strip - under half my nails... now cracks are keeping me awake... lots of nerves in your fingertips I guess.

7. Joe King

Joe King

HA today my 86 year old neighbor was telling me about her father who owned a garage up on Greenwood ave in Seattle, and about how her dads fingers would crack in the winter do to the cold and chemicals, she said he made a lotion out of goose grease and kerosene

8. squirrel

squirrel

I don't seem to get those problems sitting here at the computer, but I do when I'm out in the shop working on the cars.

Usually when I lay off doing bodywork for a couple weeks they heal up.

9. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i started wearing the gloves at work..it has really helped.after i get cleaned up i start with the hand lotion.keep applying until bed time.keep doing it every night until spring..

10. hayesvillain

hayesvillain

cornhuskers lotion works good

11. Good Wood

Good Wood
    from pa

I agree. I've tried everything over the years. Nu-Skin is the answer!

12. squirrel

squirrel

where do you get Nu-Skin?

13. marq

marq

Theres a special handcream by neutragena developed for norwegian fishermen the stuff is fantastic and will do the job real quick..............Paul

14. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Zim's Crack Cream. Works in minutes.

15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

You gotta a bowlin' alley near you?

I think Wally mart might have it?

16. Bag Balm....Crack Cream...

Imagine what the fellow in line behind you is thinking when you ask the clerk for these items...:eek:

17. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

yes.

18. Soak it in cider.

Sam.

19. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

for you guys interested in nu-skin, my girlfriend's sis in law works there (the corporate office is here in utah) and i should be able to get you discounts on the stuff...i'll give her a buzz tomorrow and find out for sure.

20. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I get cracked skin in the corner tip of my thumbnails that sends a pain that feels like it's from the same nerve as when you hit your thumb with a hammer. Not intense but sharp and annoying when doing bench work.

Anybody have any remedies?? Used to use Bag Balm (joke if you want), but doesn't seem to work as good anymore.

A doctor friend of mine told me about Bag Balm---he told me to just COVER my hands in the stuff--like, completely---then have somebody put socks over your hands before you go to bed. Sounds gross---but I tried it and it worked great--did it for like 3 nights.Wash it off in the morning,then rub a little on your hands.

21. ray

ray
    from colorado

way deep in cider.

22. Neutrogena Hand Crean is what I've used now for several years, it ain't cheap, but "a little goes a long way" as it say's on the pack!

Developed by Arctic Fisherman!! Works wonders.

23. Fossil

Fossil

I use the bag balm on chapped or irritated skin too...great stuff. On fingertip cracks (I've gotten them too) I just use Crazy Glue. I even told my Wife about it when she got a heel crack. Used it there too and it worked great.

24. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Sooner lotion works better, especially in the 2nd half.

25. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I second the Cornhusker's...there is also this stuff called "Udderly Smooth"...it was originally developed as a lotion for cow udders...supposed to be pretty good for people too. They sell it with the other lotions at drug stores.

26. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Udderly smooth works great, and it's cheap.

27. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Keep fingernails really short, cut every few days, and allow damn near NO length of nails at corners...for me, this seems to cut down on the callosities there that start cracks. I often have to open my pocket knife with a penny I keep the nails so short.
    Chapstick or the military equivalent fill in existing cracks and seem to sooth and aid healing; crazy glue will give you instant sealing and a hard surface when you have to keep working. The hand lotions that are sort of hard and waxy seem to work best. Supposedly cyanoacrilate glue was invented for combat first aid! Gotta research that...

28. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

I agree on the Neutragena stuff. Besides wearing gloves to protect against chemicals and other nasty stuff in the shop, I use the stuff in the winter time because it is so good keeping the skin from flaking and cracking. I used to get cracks that would bleed just from the skin getting cold and dry. I'm a believer in it. My wife picks it up in small tubes ($3 per I think but money well spent). Couple tubes last the winter. I only put it on the back sides of my hands, plus around the fingernails.

29. Be proactive . Wear gloves whenever possible. Over the last several years its become a major topic in the shop safety arena. The solvents in the materials that are being used and handled remove the natural oils from your skin . Over time these oils are depleted and dont return to their normal levels . After many years in the business my hands will still peel from time to time from the chemical exposure, even though I'm not working in the shop as much. Talk to a dermatologist if you want the real scoop as to what the long term effect of the solvents really are and the hazards of solvent poisoning . The cracks in your skin make an entry point for this to occur. Almost as bad as drinking the stuff but you cant taste it.
    One other benefit for wearing gloves is that the wife or girlfriend will be more appreciative of that soft loving touch.

30. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

For the painful areas, I spray peroxide on the deep cracks for day and then smear an antibiotic ointment in the wound. Usually in one to two days they heal.