Register now to get rid of these ads!

'56chev 283/350?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fourdy, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Fourdy

Fourdy

I put a 283/350 in my wife's 56 chev. I used the Lokar trans dipstick and have been unable to keep it from leaking because the the lockar is too short. I say too short because to be able to access it for checking it puts a strain at the trans and after awhile it is loose and leaks. (a lot)

I have tried stock 350 dipsticks but they aren't shaped properly to fit the 56 firewall.

Have any of you had this problem and worked it out? Lokar doesn't seem to have a longer unit. Maybe I will have to cut, shape and weld a stock tube to fit. At this time it seems to be my only option.

Looking forward to your comments.

Fourdy

2. Sander

Sander

Lokar makes 2 types of trans dip sticks a trans mounted one that will bolt to the bellhousing and a firewall mount version that mounts...guess where.
    The trans mount is really short, and the firewall one I believe is trim to fit, read - longer.
    The trans mounted version shouldn't put the strain on it that you describe because it is designed to work in a specific location.
    Here is a shot of the short dipstick on my shoebox Ford.
    If you end up reworking the stocl dipstick just make sure to replace the O-ring and maybe add a dab of silicone.

Joe

Attached Files:

3. squirrel

squirrel

I did put a 350/350 in a 56 with a stock dipstick tube about a decade ago, not sure what the tube was from, but it did work.

from what I've seen of the lokars you need to use rtv on them to keep them in, and even then they're flaky.

Newer stock dipsticks use a different type of sleeve seal, not an oring, and would be easier to mess with if you go that route.

4. jeffrob

jeffrob

my 57 came with a hole drilled in the passenger floor, the passenger could check the tranny fluid & top it off when needed, the dipstick sat higher than the shift knob............... i was thinking about getting a little shrunken head to put on as a topper

5. Fourdy

Fourdy

Thanks guys, I think I will try to find one of my stock tubes to fit, bend or whatever. Appreciate the input.

Funny Jeffrob but I don't think my wife would go with an "icky old oil thing" sticking up out of her rug. lol

Fourdy

6. Haunted Ken

Haunted Ken

some stainless brake line should fit.... I have cut off the flares, stuck it in, (into the motor, perverts) and cut it at the top to a comfortable position (pervs)

then I would find any old dipstick that would slide down my fabbed tube (pervs) and mark it at full...

for example a SBC holds 5 quarts, right? Drain the block, dump 5 quarts in, start it, shut it off, and mark your dipstick where the oil is at as FULL.....

if you want to get SLICK (pervs), just dump four quarts in, start it, mark it.... that's your ADD A QUART line........

then add the 5th quart and mark that as "SHE'S FULL" (pervs)

any dipstick will work (SLUT), I have used plenty of brake line to make new dipstick tubes...

did you know a dealer will charge 700 bucks to replace a dipstick tube on a 6.0 liter Silverado?

Talk about the freaks!

7. squirrel

squirrel

he's having transmission dipstick troubles, not engine dipstick troubles

8. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

bend / cut / weld and make the stock one work..... Lokar shit's gay