Register now to get rid of these ads!

1938 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lockwoodkustoms, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

I can see the concept you're going for rodster but I do believe the original poster is not going to do that extensive of bodywork. He's talkin bout just yankin the fenders off a stock body and frame and leaving it. Will look like the fucked up abortion that Django posted.

2. flynj1

flynj1
    from C.B. IOWA

37 2dr not coupe gone fenderles but the same basic thing could be done to coupe. Sometimes if the body is bad enough you start with, and you have the nowhow it cheaper and about as easy to do something like this. Then when you go to a run or show theres not a half dozen other cars there like yours. Thats my 2 cents

Attached Files:

3. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

hahaha... great line of reasoning (or lack of...)

4. Ghostrdr

Ghostrdr
    from Missouri

ALl I am saying is following what is trendy is boring. Your Caveats this guy are good, but I hope he does it and in a way nobody thought in a cool way and shows all the naysayers.

JMHO

BTW.... This is a bad ass rendition
    [​IMG]

5. seldom scene

seldom scene

Ooooh my eyes hurt and I'm starting to vomit, thats poison.

6. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Thanks, I was just thinking why do what every one else is with the car. But I will post a couple of drawings of it without fenders and with fenders as soon as I finish them. Although, I am not really sure how to post the pics . You know being a FNG I am still learning . I also have a metal sculpture that I did and I want to post it to the Art archive but again not really sure how to.

7. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Well here it is ,A humble unit but I plan to make it look like good[​IMG]

8. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

9. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Here's my before and after of my 37 coupe---KEEP THE FENDERS!

Attached Files:

10. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

That is sweet, I like them with fenders I was just curious to see if they are able to be done without and stiil look good.I am always trying to do something different. I am going to list my latest piece of metal work I did for a local art show.

11. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

This is what I do when I am bored

[​IMG]

12. swazzie

swazzie

13. trim the shit out of the fenders, slap wide fives on it, some wide dirt or asphalt tires, a bright two tone paint job complete with large door number. Car like that could be built for pennies. Just don't leave it rusty. That would make it look like shit.

14. junk-junkie

junk-junkie
    from Arvada CO

[​IMG]

Maybe it's an aquired taste, some of my early auto memories are watching this and similar modifieds. I'd love to see this hauling down the highway.

15. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Modifieds like that are cool, but I wouldn't want a street version of the same thing. Maybe that's me.

Not long ago there was a very nicely done blue '35 coupe in the rags with cycle fenders on front, bobbed fenders in back. It still looked like crap to me.

16. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

That '37 coach is bad assed as hell looking in my opinion....;) Done correctly, any '30s cars can look good fenderless if properly executed. BTW, I've shown you this one before. It's my '37 Chevy humpbacked coach bodied eastern dirt modified. I remember some of you mentioning putting her on the street. Since I bought a Gremlin bodied '70s mod which'll make make a better racer, I may just follow your advice.

[​IMG]

No fenders...no problem..:cool:

17. flynj1

flynj1
    from C.B. IOWA

Thanks Junkyard Jan I build that car because of the love I have for those old modifieds. There were alot of those coach bodys shortened up and used for the track. A lot of fenderless 36-40 coupes used as well. I remember in my home town when I was a kid there were a hand full of hot rods but you couldnt hardly go a city block with finding a dirt tracker. Heres on of the ones I have raced in the past ten years 36 cheby

Attached Files:

18. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Post 34-35 fenderless cars should not be allowed on this message board.

19. 38fordcoupe

38fordcoupe

Being the owner of a '38 ford I personally prefer fenders unless your building a period perfect stock car. If you want to build a fenderless '38 I say go ahead . Build it the way you want it . Not the way others think you should. I've seen a lot of cars that if it were mine I would have built them differently,but to each his own. Thats what hotrodding is all about.
    By the way , if its a '38 standard let me know if you have any parts for sale.

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

holy fuck.

21. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

You guys seem to be forgetting many of those early dirt racers still had fenders too...

Attached Files:

22. bones35

bones35

The reason you don't see many big fendered cars running sans fenders is due to proportions. These bodies are actually quite a bit larger than you think and the fenders help ground the shape. Remove them and you have some really bad (top heavy) proportions that can't be righted without a lot of coach work.

i got to agree with this, the first time i saw my 40 when i walked into the garage it was in, was Damn that thing is huge. it took me a while to get over how large the car actually is. cory

23. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

24. Fidget

Fidget

That is one ugly Volvo

25. ratrod0

ratrod0

35 ford no fenders

Attached Files:

26. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

This task is difficult at best, and even if you make it just right, there will still be quite a few people that aren't really jazzed by the looks.

Having said that, I think you will have to stretch the wheelbase at least six or eight inches, and get the whole thing low to have any chance of the proportions working out. Then you have to figure out what to do for the grille and hood. I really think at least a partial hood will be needed, based on the shape of the firewall on these cars. Finally, your choice of wheels and tires may be enough to make or break the deal all by themselves.

I've seen several of these cars built. Some had sort of a landspeed racer influence, and some with a circle track racer influence. Of all of them, only a couple really hit the mark in my opinion.

The decision to build a car like you describe is certainly a bold one. What ever you decide, try and visualize how it will work out before you get too busy, then do what it takes to fulfill your vision. Oh, and by the way, good luck.

27. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Well, I am wodering how to really approach this car. I really do agree that they are sweet with fenders. But then again apart of me really thinks the hell with it, being so many think this car "CAN NOT" look good without fenders just go ahead and do it. But I really want to finish my sketches the way I plan to build it then post them. I know that it will be a great deal of work but that is what Hot Rods are about. It is no different than the next guy wanting to chop his Merc. You are always going to have people who can't imagine why, I just think what would those guys like Starbird, Roth, Barris hell even Foose nowadays would do. This is what promts me to just go ahead build it and see were it takes me. I just want to see what I am capable of building, I can say one thing is for sure it will not look like the one you guys posted that looks like shit.

28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PLEASE help to save a 38 from a fate worse than rust.
    Leave the fenders on for the love of god man!!

Im gonna go sit in my 38 and cry for a while........

Doc.

EDIT,
    I just read through the whole thread, Im parkin next to Swazzie's shoe box and we can console each other (Not in a 'Broke Back Mountain' way or is that "Bare back?")

But the way, cool metal sculpture fixin rust and shaping metal looks like a way of life to you, apply it to the 38 dude.

Doc.

29. Ghostrdr

Ghostrdr
    from Missouri

[​IMG]I think this would be a decent ride

30. shitbox2

shitbox2

[​IMG]whats the info on this car thanks eric