Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who/What introduced YOU to the hamb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by briggs&strattonChev, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Don't remember how I ever found out about Jalopy Journal... I think through some magazine, back in '99 or something... Lurked on the HAMB for a while...
    DocFrankenstein actually talked me into joining the HAMB in 2002...
    Loved it ever since!

2. NoSurf

NoSurf

I bookmarked the Jalopy Journal on Thursday, November 15, 2001, 10:53:36 AM. I don't know how I found it, probably through a Google search. I had lots of HAMBer's sites bookmarked back then; Mart's, Eyeball's, Rolf's.

But I didn't stumble into the HAMB until a Friday afternoon (07/26/02) right before I left for home. I posted "Cool Site", and said I was really digging this message board. Then went home. Not good. I didn't lurk for more than 2 minutes. I didn't get blasted from the intro police too bad, I think Germ was on vacation.

3. customized

customized

K member
    Had read about it in HRD/CKD, but hadn't checked it out. K kept telling me about it whilst I was getting inked - that and Soap Lake, which I still haven't been to.
    [​IMG]
    He even drew me a nice pic so I could get here from JJ main page.

4. fitzee

fitzee

Found hambs when I first came on line about 3 years ago.Found it searching the net for hot rod info.Think is was a link from another site.Signed up and found there were a lot of loud mouths on it and was turned off(That when I was a good little boy and never had nothing bad to say)Left the site and spend a years or so on other site getting my feet wet.Shooting my mouth off here and there.Realizing I was no better [​IMG]Then this pass summer one of the guys at the NTBA web site drop me the link and so I dropped in to see if it was the same old shit happening here.yep. A bunch of hot rodder from out west that know all and feel thay are the king on hot rodding.Well!!some are like that but not all.Fun to hear all the "we did it first crap" make for interesting reading.But I must say this is the best site for looking for info.Guys here do know their shit.

fitzee

5. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

When I first bought my '30 Model A, about this time last year... It's a sad story.

I figured...this will be my first major complete restoration, I'll do everything on this car with the help of nobody.

About a week after tinkering with my pile of rust, I said...Man It'd sure look cool slammed on the ground with whitewalls, chopped top, no fenders. So i started poking around the net looking for pics. All I could find was prettied up billet queens. I liked the cars, they are clean and nice, just not my style. I wanted to see pics of what I wanted my car to look like. After looking for a few days I stumbled across The Jalopy Journal. I never looked at the HAMB, but I was mesmerized by the look of the cars in the writeups on TJJ. I finally clicked the HAMB link and flipped out. I joined about 30 minutes later after realizing this group of garage monkeys were into the same shit as me. I've been back everyday since, and spend most of my online time poking around the HAMB forums. I'd rather see these homebuilt beaters with parts & rust falling off at 110mph than see any car in a magazine. The HAMB is FILLED with pictures that only fuel the hunger to take things one step further with our cars. Its an addiction, and I need help...I look the the HAMB for that help.

6. When we first got a computer,I knew NOTHING about them(today I know slightly less)and I think the only thing I ever did was play the stupid games built into them(which I'm not very good at anyway).
    I was doing some stripes on a guys purple 33 Ford(actually outlining Bill Roell style flames with Slime Green)and we got to talking about computers and he mentioned the RRT and the HAMB.
    I tried but couldn't find the RRT but did get into the HAMB.Checked it out for awhile before posting anything and got a mild rebuke from the intro police(I think they were a fringe element at the time).Started from square one and have been enjoying the board ever since.Have met some truly great people in person as well as over the electronic stream and look forward to meeting even more in the future.
    Ray Smith

7. Hangin Dice, 1999...Ryan was there with his coupe, it was either in "outlaw's" little burger shack there on the fairgrounds, or someplace later I saw a shirt that said "jalopyjournal.com" on it and I checked it out...

much to my surprise, there were photos with both my cars in them in the "snap shots" section...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I miss both those cars...

8. BELLM

BELLM

Got a 50 F-1, among other unfinished projects, used to hang out @ Ford forum, couldnt talk about anything but ford engines, say fuck, anything like that. Someone there mentioned the HAMB, checked it out, loved the Friday Night read, realized I wasn't really all that sick, there were others like me. Did a good intro, got welcomed by 40StudeDude, Denise, several others, Nads laughed at one of my smart ass comments, been here ever since. Learn something here every day. Used to be able keep up spending 20-30 minutes a day, now over an hour needed, and thats not reading every post. Really scary that I chose to spend 1/24th of my life with you crazy fuckers!!! [​IMG]
    Thanks Ryan, Long live the HAMB!!

9. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

I was basically lurking at RRT and a few other places but I just didn't fit in (in my own mind). RRT was a great place to learn how to do the stuff that the mags would rarely show you how to do, without trying to sell you something. It seemed kinda stuffy and I didn't feel any connection with anyone over there, so I never signed up (sorry JustSteve).

Anywho, once I was surfing and bumped into the Jalopy Journal and it was like electricity was running through me. THESE are the cars for me and this site defined what I was into. Soon the HRD and the TRJ were out and they just felt right. I saw the HAMB but I didn't dig it. the people were assholes and they ripped into everyone that joined without thier permission. I wasn't looking for a chat room anyways, I was just looking for inspiration (the artist in me I guess). I kept looking in on the HAMB anyway, and eventually I figured out that these guys weren't posers, they were the real deal and so I jumped on. I made a good long intro, no real fuss, and here we are.

I wasn't (am not) an OG here by any means but I do remember when the Jalopy Journal pages were new, and the '98 Paso pics were hot off the press......I don't know how I went so long before I finally joined the ranks of the HAMB. Musta been a professional lurker.

10. McGrath

McGrath

I found the HAMB through the RRT too.

I think the RRT is more "Formal" than "Stuffy", but I can see your point. The age ratio over there leans more towards "Old Farts", who do not appreciate the fine Arts of Shit Stirring and Humorous Insults [​IMG]. They all seem to be pretty good people though and they can answer just about any Rodding question you can come up with.

11. Satinblack

Satinblack

Well it was nov 2002. I was watching "Hip" lurk around. I said why don't you sign up? He said "I'm scared...". I went home and signed up as satinblack58, not knowing what to expect, just knew that it was car related and I wanted in. Made my first post, got slammed, had a few choice words!, fixed my mistakes(the usual). And the rest as you say is history. Oh by the way hip [​IMG] finally came out of his shell a few months later. Satiny

12. lik2writ

lik2writ
    from NY

Daniel Strohl's site on modifieds and a pile of '29 bones out in the barn thats been keeping me awake for the last 30 years.

13. [ QUOTE ]
    Wife bought a iMac the day they went on sale.

[/ QUOTE ] Mac's do so many things better then Peee Cees, I use one at work, just ordered one to replace the POIBMS at home. Can't wait.

[ QUOTE ]
    Samiyam started the WWW's thread message board war and "Bill" thought it was all my fault and ceremoniously put my soul in a shoe box in his closet shortly after the RRT plug got pulled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I got some of the blame there too. Funny how nobody saw it coming despite all the messages from Corey that he wasn;'t interested and had no money to keep it going. [​IMG]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I actually met and talked to then RRT'er DRD57 at Giovanni's Thursday Cruise before I ever got on the internet, but it took a while to put the two together. I was contemplating the draw backs of a cowl tank and down draft carburetion and asked him how he had his set up, if I recall.

[/ QUOTE ] And if ya had a little more patience, you could have met little ole me too, but instead you just tried to run me down with your truck! Fortunately I have the evidence on videotape. [​IMG]

14. [ QUOTE ]
    Eventually, we made it public and the rest is history.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is where I stumled upon it and lurked for a while until I felt it was OK to post something, to which a loverly young lass told me to go outside into the garden and play go merry go fork yourself, I still can't find the rules to that game.

[ QUOTE ]
    Ironically, no one wanted anything to do with us til traditional cars got popular...

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess that explains why nobody used to talk to me, I always seem to like mthe unpopular stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
    Eventually, traditional cars will go out of style again... Will be very interesting to see what happens to the HAMB when that happens. Prolly just me and Mike Bishop bitching at each other!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's OK, I'll hang around and ajudicate. [​IMG]

15. junkboy

junkboy
    from Las Vegas

Saw the rod's that Rocky built across the street from my grandparents. Soon thereafter, met Rocky who recognized my fascination with cool old stuff and sold me one of his creations. Told me to go to the HAMB,,,,,and I do what Rocky says [​IMG]

16. found the jj thru yahoo and became a lurker for a very loooong time.finally registered and lurked for a long time.
    then I had the imense privilage to meet Dr.J.@ the moon eyes show.he gave me the courage to do my intro.Ill never forget those words."DONT BE SUCH A PUSSY.log on do your intro and start posting".

thanx doc!

17. gotcha

gotcha
    from Sanger, TX

kustomscaraudio got me on here...I'm more into bright paint and stuff like that, but this rat rod stuff is way cool too...I'm hooked and won't be leaving...

JP

18. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

I did a google search on "Fad T." No, seriously!

About 7 google pages down, there was this HAMB thing that kept re-ocurring. I thought it was some processed-food thing. You know, like KRAB. I got hungry after a while and clicked it. Lurked until I had a few model A chassis parts to post a pic of as a half assed intro. Everyone went real light on my intro, I feel cheated to this day! [​IMG]

...damn, its slow at work this morning, can't beleive I read all that shit... !

19. I blame fordy 6. I was wondering how to ID a car my friend had and he gave me this address. After about a year, I finally got around to posting the pics. Guess I was too busy reading everything else...Now if I could just get one of my projects done...or runnning...Tom

20. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

My good friend "Sancho"! He gave me a Jalopy Journal t-shirt that wouldn't fit him and told me about HAMB. Lurked a long time and then signed up.

21. nailheadmerc

nailheadmerc

TP gave me the hookup and also told me about the 1st annual Lonestar Roundup.