Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well, it's about time...Hudson progress.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudsoncustom, Nov 27, 2006.

1. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

killer!

with that particular rear wheel well, I don't think it will matter much if you are running skirts or not...it looks like it has 'em reguardless!:D

2. Oh man I did not realize your car was a "BRO-HAM" ( I like the Pimp way of saying brougham), that is such a col body style. That thing looks bitchen, but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't chop it, Hudsons look so bad ass from the factory, they do not need to be chopped. I have yet to see one chopped that looked better after the chop. Now the no skirt idea is cool, I used to run my 50 coupe around with no skirts, when it ran. I spent last weekend trying to get the bastard to fire and it fought me the whole time so thanks for the insperation to get out and work on it. As I have had mine sitting around for about 6-7 years as well I'll keep watching your progress, keep us posted!

3. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

chop it an inch, its worth it....leaves em wondering why yours looks better than theirs

4. I vote for no skirts...looks better without them

5. That's the plan, although 1.5 to 2" is what I'll chop it. They'll see. I've got it all planned out. This one won't look like shit.

6. The more I look at that photoshop, the more I like it without skirts. I'm going to make some radiused corners for the openings and that should finish it off nicely.

I've never really liked Hudsons without skirts because the wheel opening is so square. A radiused filler peice in each corner would take care of the issue...

7. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

The Hudson is looking great. Scott, why did you sell yours, short on cash? And the 5 window? Times must be tough. How cold is it under the overpass?

8. 2"

2"

Are you going to keep the stock rear window and lay it down when you chop the top or how are you going about it?

9. old beet

old beet

The Hudson is lookin real good!!! 460-C6 Yes!!!!!..........OLDBEET

10. Yep. I'll cut the whole mess out and flip the rear window...That'll improve the lines. The other option is to install a 49 Ford window...it is a bit smaller and might look better. I'll just have to see when it is all cut up.

11. wsdad

wsdad

Here's my $0.02.

Attached Files:

12. ha ha! I'm going for a tasteful custom...Now if I was building a land speed car...

13. Ramblur

Ramblur

I like the idea of flipping the back window. For those not familar
    with the Hudsons, in their infinite wisdom they saw fit to offer a
    2 door model with the 4door sedan roofline and that is the
    "brougham" you see here. My personal favorite of the "stepdown"
    bodystyles.

14. I've been trying to explain this to people for years. It absolutely is their best body style...

15. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

i agree 100%

[​IMG]

16. Rathbone

Rathbone

Did you lift the whole body into the air and onto that chassis alone? Looks good BTW.

17. 440hudson

440hudson
    Alliance Vendor

Theres no better car on the road than a Hudson. Looking good, keep after it.
    Later, Bob

18. dehudso

dehudso

Looks tits!

The hudson wheelbase is 124" if I remember correctly. What is the lincoln wheelbase and how much did you have to stretch it?

Oh and how are your stock hudson front drums?

19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I need this mordor black teaser.

20. run the skirts, lay down the lid.

Looks great.

Im looking for one just like it to play with, or something like a 51 2-door as well.

Know of any? :)

21. Yep sure did. I used a chain fall in the back, and an engine hoist with a couple of heavy duty tie downs in the front. I had to keep waling back and forth to get it lifted and lowered. A bit of a pain in the ass, but it worked.

22. You're right. In 49 through 50, Hudson only made a 124" wheelbase. in 51, the had a 119" wheelbase (the wasp) and a 124". The wheelbase of the donor chassis was 115".

I cut the frame of the donor chassis and floor pan about 2" forward of the front seat mounting bolt. This is also about 1" behind the tranny x member. I stretched the chassis 9" by inserting a 3 foot chunk of box tubing inside each frame rail. After those welds are finish welded, I'll top plate it as well.

Drums? This is part of the reason I decided on the chassis swap. The fella I purchased the car from years ago was part way into a "pro-street" conversion. he had welded in a GM clip, but it was in crooked...off by almost an inch. Couple that with the old rear end and 5" blocks, I decided it would be easier to do a whole frame swap.

To be honest, I am really suprised at how well everything has lined up. After stretching the chassis, the wheel wells match perfectly, the package tray meets the chassis at the exact spot the rear seat bracing is, the trunk floor is almost a perfect match, the firewall is off by less than an inch, etc. Really fits well.

23. Keep your eye on ebay. There was a 50 Brougham that went off on ebay a month or two ago in decent condition for less than 1200 bucks....complete with motor and all...

24. dehudso

dehudso

Sounds like a sound decision to swap frames. And that lengthening technique will add some serious strength it sounds like.

I asked about drums, because I'd like to give a shot at homebrewing a disc brake setup for my frontend. I've got quite a bit more weight up front and a lot more acceleration too. You can knock the rivets off between the hubs and drums and slip a disc over the hub from what I understand.

Is your new frame four wheel disc?

25. I love Hudson customs, very cool. If it was going to be a tail dragger style, I'd run the skirts. Hot rod style, no skirts. The best part about this car for me is that since it's local I might get to see it at shows some time! :D

26. old beet

old beet

I kinda like him too, and he is cool!.........OLDBEET

27. I see. I wish I had all the original parts, but the car didn't come to me with them so...

The new chassis has disk/drum. I'm not worried about stopping power, I'm sure it will be fine.

28. Oh, you'll see it. I'm building this car to drive the piss out of. I plan to drive it more than Beetle drives his Merc. ha ha!

29. Rolf

Rolf

Sorry I missed this thread earlier, looks awesome !

I vote for the 2 inch and skirts...

30. studhud

studhud

Car looks great. I have a 53 hudson superwasp brougham similar to you car. The car to me looks chopped already in a way. I've seen two sectioned hudson's and to me it looks better than a chop. You could do a mild chop and a mild section where the quarter panels meet the rockers. Your car looks killer just dont over chop it then the door to rocker proportions look weird. LTR Dave