Register now to get rid of these ads!

mas front drop axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tensecsprint, Nov 27, 2006.

1. tensecsprint

tensecsprint

Any one ever used any of the MAS racing dropped front axles? I saw the ad and was thinking about one of the 7 inch dropped I beam kits for 369 bucks, thats dirt cheap compared to a peet&jakes set up.
    I know you get what you pay for. but I dont need chrome or anything shiny for that matter. I need somthing that works and that will hold up to accually driving it. the car has a 496 BBC so I need somthing tough, any sugestions or commets on this axle would be great.

2. borndead327

borndead327

spring behind axel? or spring over?
    if you wanted to be cheap id say go with speedway motors

3. brandon

brandon

had a mas axle in my anglia.....nice piece....might want to think about the 7" drop....unless your going to run a fairly tall tire.....the axle will be way down there.....usually below the rim .....brandon

4. tensecsprint

tensecsprint

I was going with the spring behind the axle, the most drop I have seen in the speedway catalog is 4inch dropped axle I need a little more than that. any problums with putting alot of wieght on a I beam that is dropped 7 inches?

5. Frizby

Frizby
    from Cisco, Il

I have a MAS axle on my 35 chevy truck and think the quality is right up there with any tube axle from speedway. Tha only problem I see is that the MAS has alot tighter bend up towards the kingpin boss, so if you run vega style cross steer you have to modifiy the steering arms alittle to clear. The speedway has a gentle sweep in that area and has plenty of room for steering arms. If that helps any.Friz

6. tensecsprint

tensecsprint

on a fifteen inch wheel the axle should be cenerline at an inch above the OD of the wheel, with a 26 inch tall tire I should be fine, I think:confused:

7. borndead327

borndead327

well if you are gonna run a spring behind set up why not just raise the spring perch up

Attached Files:

8. tensecsprint

tensecsprint

the chassis is already Z ed 6 inches in front of the body and am trying keep the chassis rigid, and I am using a factory 32 front cross member, that would kind of be a clustered look if it where raised furter infront of the grill.

9. brandon

brandon

reason i mentioned it.....how are you mounting it....are you using weld on brackets.....? in the picture.....look below the headlights....thats the brackets for the hairpins....and they are about 3/4 inch below the wheels.....just something to think about......hahah brandon

Attached Files:

10. beatnik

beatnik

MAS does not make an I-Beam that has a 7" drop, they only have tube axles with that much drop and You can get a 6" drop tube axle from speedway as well.

Gus

11. tensecsprint

tensecsprint

didnt really think about that, you bring up a good point, is that your ride? if so how much drop is in your axle? and in your opinion what is the best drum brake setup to use with a heavy front car?

12. tensecsprint

tensecsprint

actually Gus,
    I have called Mas and they do sell a 7 inch dropped I beam axle becouse they sent me the dimensions on the unit so I could fab the chassis. :eek:

13. beatnik

beatnik

:eek: Great, post pics when you get it, I'd love to see it, Although that's an awful lot of drop for a heavy BBC.

Gus

14. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

I have one of their 7" dropped tube axles on my Model A. Cant complain one bit about it. True I dont have a scrub radius, but other than that, theres no reason not to run one. I have 26" tall front tires on it with no other issues.

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I sure wasn't aware of a 7" dropped I-beam from MAS, or anywhere else for that matter. Why don't you post a picture with a scale for reference? They have some really deep dropped tube axles but I've never tried one so don't know how well they resist bending in a "real world" application. A couple of drag cars with straight or shallow drops have survived for years but have spent more time on a trailer than on the road.:)

Frank

16. I've run a 7" dropped tube on a Model A with 16" wheels and I just barely passed the scrub line test. :rolleyes:

The axle was of good quality, but I changed to an I-beam with a taller spring perch for the look. I think its a good product and a pretty good price.

17. Maybe 6" would be better with 15" wheels.

18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you're comparing apples to oranges. :rolleyes:

I just ordered a 7" dropped axle from MAS for my '46 truck. When discussing dropped axles, the dimension usually refered to is the amount of drop from the stock position. MAS measures their drop from a line drawn between the highest part of the axle / king pin bosses, to where the spring mounts on the spring pad. The actual amount of drop FROM STOCK on a MAS 7" dropped axle, is therefor only 4" from stock for my application.

Hope that made sense........

BTW, they didn't have an axle made up for my application, but they agreed to make my axle up to any width and king pin inclination I wanted. They said they'd ship it in a week. Good guys to deal with, IMO.

19. rustydogs

rustydogs
    from canada

ive been wiating on my axle for about 2 months now.. mas is slow, but i had put an axle of theirs in my t last year and it works great.. just dont like the waiting game..

20. rustydogs

rustydogs
    from canada

got axle, boy what a half azz job they did.. hairpins not tapped right, missing parts, wish i went elsewhere.. maybe its just bad luck, anyone else have problems. i may as well just made one from scratch.. over 2 month wait and nothing but poor workmanship this round. put on hold for over ten minuites, i just hung up..im not ever going with them again.

21. First off leme comment on the MAS products. I've seen their axles up close and personal and the product unless it has gone to the dawgs is good quality I'd use it.

Now for the whole scrubline thing. I know what scrub line is and the inherant dangers etc.

But here lately I've heard a lot of folks talking about the scrub line rule and the scrubline test. So I need to ask does someones state have a scrubline rule that they enforce or we're all talking about the NSRA thing here. This is a need to know incase I got motoring through your state I don't wanna end up that far from home with the rod in impound someday.

22. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Im thinkin your mis informed. Ive never seen a Mas I beam especially a 7 inch drop.? Tube ya maybe but i cant believe 7 inches.
    Oh well
    Dave

23. raffman

raffman

Ran a MAS straight tube axle on my 55 gasser, half dozen or so wheel stands never hurt it a bit. Strong and lighter than an I beam.

24. rustydogs

rustydogs
    from canada

im not saying they are not strong but when i wait over 2 months it should be right... not half azzed. poorly machined parts. due to someone not checking things to make sure they are right.poor quality compared to my first purchase.. now once again i have to wait.. this time for replacment parts.. it shouldnt take 3 months to get an axle.

25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ordered a MAS axle specially made for my '46 Chevy 1/2T (custom length and king pin inclination). I received it in 2-1/2 weeks and I couldn't have asked for a nicer job. The king pin inclination was right on the money and the king pin hole was a nice slide fit. Welding was excellent, as were the bends, etc. No problems at all and I'd use them again any time.

As far as the 7" drop goes, that's the TOTAL drop, measured from the top of the king pin boss to the spring pad. MAS's 7" drop was equal to a 3" drop on a stock axle, which comes from the factory with a 4" drop, the way MAS measures it.

26. 46M15

46M15

I've been looking for a MAS website, and I can't find it, does anyone have a link?

27. They don't have one. Gotta look at the ad in Street Rodder Magazine. Their phone # is 651-644-6811

28. 46M15

46M15

29. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

I didnt like the fact the the batwings arent pre-welded from MAS. That and the wait!!

30. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

Heres a pic of mine with a 7" drop tube, suicide style. 15" wheels.

Attached Files:

• hr 1.jpg
      hr 1.jpg
      File size:
      79.6 KB
      Views: