Register now to get rid of these ads!

My back hurts again...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

How bout a miller 8 for yer bad back...

Attached Files:

2. Handbuilt Banger, went too fast pisssed off the Antique Hillclimb boys.

Attached Files:

3. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Life ain't all about engines! There's beauty in chassismanship... [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Mike

Mike

[ QUOTE ]
    With the exeception of the flathead ford, some racing mills and other early engines designs, American engines have never seemed to highlight the “mechanicalness” of it all. While the Germans and Italians were mixing textures and materials (admittedly for functional purposes), we were covering shit up and hiding our mechanics in hopes of making the mysterious look simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason for this much of the time was that the American stuff just plain was simpler than the Euro stuff. Look at aircraft engines from WWII. The Rolls Royce Merlin V-12 had six times as many parts as an Allison V-12.

The German V-12s were so complicated and had such tight tolerances that repairs weren't done in the field. When they had engine problems, they pulled the entire engine and sent it back to the factory for repair. Beautiful engines, but, not very practical for the battlefield.

The Merlin replaced the Allison in the P-51 not because it was a better engine, but mainly because the high perfomance package for the Merlin already existed. It would have taken valuable time to develope the Allison's perfomance to the level of the Merlin, so it made more sense to use the already available Merlin. Had the Merlin not been available for the P-51, we surely would have ended with up a version of the Allison that performed like a Merlin with much simpler maintenance.

5. crow

crow

Yessir 4t64rd!!!!! Got's me one of them Pontiac beasties coutesy of Mr.Flat Top Bob. It's going in my 28 Ponch sedan that I hope to do up like a 60s style sport touring Jag style car, replete with 35 Ford wires. Got 3 Weber sidedrafts and hoping my motor looks closer to this when done....

Attached Files:

6. Same freind, new V860 for his Bonneville car. building his own FI out of existing pieces.

Attached Files:

7. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

My lowly mopar... no acorns.

Pete

[​IMG]

8. DrJ

DrJ

I get to "visit" one of those Dusies once in a while here in LB.
    It's pretty.
    The Bugatti was carved out of billet, the good one off kind of billet though.
    The Crosley used a gear driven verticle shaft OH cam drive much like the Bugatti, only much $impler.
    Here's a NISSAN OHC 6 in my Model A...

9. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't mean to take this too far off track but does anyone remember an article from a car magazine that went into great detail about the design of a Ferarri V12 piston? There was a picture accompanying the writing and it went into great detail about how high the engine would rev and the speed and starting/stopping forces placed on the piston.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it was from Car and Driver, Grimlok
    http://www.pureluckdesign.com/ferrari/cdcolumn/

10. DrJ

DrJ

Deuce Rails is a thread killer..... [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

One day I WILL have a twelve cylinder with Enzo's last name on it. Maybe even a car with his name. When I do, how long til I kicked off this board?

12. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I have long liked the art that has been put into some of the non-V8 engines out there. Esepecially early stuff.

Anyone have any photos of:

--Hispano-Suiza
    --Isotta-Fraschini
    --Jag V12
    --Cad V12 and V16
    --Packard V12 PT boat engines
    --more Merlin pics
    --more Allison pics
    --any early Lambo V12 pics
    --more early Ferrari V12 pics
    --Doozie pics (or Auburn or Cord)
    --early Packard V12 automotive engines

What about other stuff that I don't even know if it's good looking or not, 'cause I've never seen any... maybe Marmon, or any other early luxury cars...?

Other very cool artwork engines?

13. Flexicoker

Flexicoker

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't mean to take this too far off track but does anyone remember an article from a car magazine that went into great detail about the design of a Ferarri V12 piston? There was a picture accompanying the writing and it went into great detail about how high the engine would rev and the speed and starting/stopping forces placed on the piston. Great care was taken to make the piston as light as possible - trimming away everything that didn't do it's job. It was tiny. The skirt was nearly gone. Next to an American V8 piece the Ferarri part looked anemic at first. Then you took a closer look at it and read why it was designed that way and it started to look different. It actually looked stronger after you read about it. Crazy stuff normal people don't think about like adding material to strengthen the part actually makes it weaker - with the added weight the piston would literally rip itself apart. It was really good writing as I remember it.

This was three - maybe four? - years ago when I was just getting into hot rods and buying up lots of magazines so it could have been in HOT ROD, Car Craft, or any number of other mags. Anyone remember that piece?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the article, but I do know what you're talking about, one of the magazines we get at the Formula SAE shop at school had an article showing all the Ferrari Formula 1 parts you could buy, yeah, the piston was dinky, the rods are titanium and really neat looking. I also hear that they run something like 18:1 compression on not very high octane because the engines run fast enough that they actaully compress and ignite the fuel before anything has a chance to pre-detonate. Amazing stuff.

14. superbell

superbell

Blownolds...
    The pic I posted IS a Duesenberg... DrJ has a sharp eye.

15. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I was just hoping to get some more pics out of you all.

16. Roddin28

Roddin28

17. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

That big blue Allison is pretty cool to hear rap out from 4 feet away! [​IMG] It's often at the CHRR.

18. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Deuce Rails - That's it! Thanks.

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Just re-visiting one of my favorites. Man...I WILL own a Ferrai one day. Not one of the newer ones, either. Enzo rolls in his grave every time a rapper buys one not knowing what's behind the Ferrari name.

20. Nicholson

Nicholson

Heres a couple from a 1930 Isotta-Fraschini. I used to work for a guy that has a large collection of these types of cars.
    Isotta7.jpg

Isotta8.jpg

21. hayduke

hayduke

not automotive, but certainly art...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. kroozn1

kroozn1

We just had one of these roll thru the shop for some body repairs.
    51 Ferrari 166
    1995cc

Attached Files:

23. "I often sit around and wonder what it would be like to be a REAL mechanic. You know, one of those guys that can really do anything with nothing. I’ll never be one, but I appreciate the art more than I can say. These guys build things with textures, finishes, and materials in mind. They might build an offy using brass fittings, natural cast intakes, polished stainless headers, or whatever… and it always looks so purposeful – so functional."

Man,that's a great statement.
    Reminds me when Garlits' Swamp Rat 30 went into the Smithsonian(86?)
    First Top Fueler over 270 mph.
    The Smithsonian used the car for a display/exhibit called "Material World".
    Something to the effect of,,,"What is the object made of,why,and why does it matter"?

This is a fantastic thread.
    tc

24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I love the Ferrari V-12s. Anything mechanically pure has an effect on me.

I think this is epitomized in the aircraft industry. There is no place for any gadgets or doo-dads for the sake of having them. Powerplants are purposeful, straightforward, and powerful.

Here is a 2240ci 4000hp Napier Sabre 24cyl engine in cutaway.

[​IMG]

25. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

I love the look of the Lincoln and Jag V 12s too.
    Jag on the left, Lincoln on the right.

Attached Files:

• jag.jpg
      jag.jpg
      File size:
      70.4 KB
      Views:
    • linc.jpg
      linc.jpg
      File size:
      86.6 KB
      Views:
  26. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

bttt. One of my favorite posts of all time.