Register now to get rid of these ads!

tire question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skumbag, Nov 22, 2006.

1. skumbag

skumbag

what size tires and white walls are yall running on astro supremes?
    i'm getting ready to buy some for my 57 chevy and i dont know what size tire to buy/ and if i want wide or skinny whites.

thanks,
    matt

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't care for wide whites on astros for most cars... unless you are building some thing crazy like a chromed out 60's show rod.

skinny whites. I have 14 x 6 (or 7?), regular backspacing and 185/75/14's on mine. had them on my 49 chevy 4 door bomb, but switched to wide whites and full hubcaps... they are mainly for my 61 dodge now but I may run them on my 49 coupe just to see what it looks like.

3. rasputin

rasputin
    from Chicago

I would be more concerned with the stance of the car over wide vs skinny whites.

Supremes can look really kickass with either type of whitewall. It just depends on what kind of look you're going for. Since I don't know what your preference is I will suggest wide whites because there are so many others that will tell you that you'll be committing a cardinal sin for doing so.

As for size, I rolled a 205/70 on my 15x7s. I've since sold those wheels and now wish I hadn't.

[​IMG]

4. skumbag

skumbag

thanks, for posting the pic. those look pretty good i might go with that size. how tall are those tires?

any one else have any pics?

matt

5. Here is a pic of my old 60 El Camino. 15x7 rear and 14x6 front Astro's. Standard offset, not reversed. I think it had 195/75 on front and 225/75 rear tires if my memory serves me correct. I think skinny whites look best on Astro's and added benefit they are a bunch cheaper than wide whites.

Attached Files:

6. skumbag

skumbag

anyone have some pics of a 57 chevy with supremes?

matt

7. skumbag

skumbag

bump for the night owls.......

8. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Here's my old 57 wagon with 205-75-15's on black steelies.
    Also my old 59 Nomad wagon wearing the same size tires on 15X6 Supremes.
    I use Diamondback radial www's

Attached Files:

9. lgh1157

lgh1157

10. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

i wouldnt use wide white walls with supremes. i think those look better with thin pinner whites. i'd also run a smaller tire on it. something like a 70 series on a 15" rim. width will be dependant on car.

-scott noteboom

11. Yelton57

Yelton57
    BANNED

The 1.5 inch whitewalls are the most period correct for the early 60's style. The ones i run are call runway enduro 75's. They cost about 45 bucks a peice from the 'tireseasy' site. These tires are awesome! i have tried to kill them but they are extremely tough.