Register now to get rid of these ads!

gettin crappy gas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58apache, Nov 20, 2006.

1. 58apache

58apache

are fuel additives a good idea? like octane boost or fuel stabilizer?

2. brewsir

brewsir

I dunno...I tried beano but I still get crappy gas.....just gotta lay off the beans I guess!!!

3. Dude,,,if you're reaching for stupid additves & your engine aint right(to begin with) please go back to school on some things.....sorry.
    A lot of us are trying to help you here.
    Troy

4. squirrel

squirrel

if the truck was sitting for months or years with old gas in it, and it smells funny, and you didn't drain the tank and put in fresh gas...that might be the problem. But fresh gas would fix it in that case.

5. BigChief

BigChief

It depends. Fuel stabilizer? Yup, you betcha. Mercury Marine no longer warrantys ANY fuel system related problems because of the reformulated gasoline the greenies are shoving down our throats. The shelf live of typical pump gas went from six months years ago to about six weeks. Mercury recommends stabilizer in anything that doesn't see regular use. If its not going to get fresh gas in the next 30 days, dump some STA-BIL in the tank. Its cheap insurance. Those of us in the cold regions of the US get to deal with seasonal gasoline changes - depending on the blend, the fuel can last quite awhile or be dead in a month so many of us just run it all the time.

Octane booster? Again, it depends. In reality you should build your motor for either pump gas (typically 9.5:1 or less with iron heads) or for race gas. Compromising a motor in the 10-11:1 range (on purpose) is a waste. Your not gaining much over a properly tuned/cammed 9.5 motor and your giving up plenty when compared to a 12-13:1 motor. The exception to the rule? Old muscle car motors that were originally built in the 10-11:1 range that are still in their original configuration. In that situation the best practice is to run race fuel as an additive (5 gallons race fuel to 10-15 gallons of pump premuim). In a pinch with careful tuning SOME octane boosters do work in these types of motors and will allow you to 'cheat' with pump gas if you have to.....but octane boosters are band-aids otherwise.

-Bigchief.

6. Haunted Ken

Haunted Ken

Whenever I have bad gasoline from a car sitting for a long period of time, I dump about half a bottle of Isopropyl alchohol in, it helps to disperse the water....