Register now to get rid of these ads!

**bayarea Hot Rod Gallery Showing**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Dirty, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

On Sun. November 19th I was driving through downtown Walnut Creek on my way to a friends house when while I was stopped at a stoplight a banner hanging from a light pole caught my attention...

What is this I'm seeing....Is that not the Bonneville Salt Flats with Vern Tardels burgendy '32 roadster parked alongside the Tardel/McKenzie Bonneville roadster....

What does that banner say I said to myself....."Anatomy of a Hot Rod".....

Continuing to talk out loud to myself in my truck like a MADMAN I say "What Is This?"

At the change of the light I continue my drive through Walnut Creek still dazed by the banner I just observed when I reach the intersection of Civic Dr./ Locust St. which is the location of the Dean Lesher Center for the Arts.

Directly out in front of the Center I see and hear a swing band playing on the flatbed deck of a '36 ford pickup and see a long row of traditional hot rods and customs filling the parking spaces of an area usually clutered with SUV's or Sport Packaged Volvo wagons........Once again speaking to myself, I say outload "What the hell is going on around here?". How can there be a hot rod show occuring in this town where I grew up and I have no idea????

I quickly park my truck and jump out to ascertain just what in gods hot rod name is going on.....

I enter the center past a chrome belly tanker parked outside and discover a formal gallery showing entitled "Antomy of a Hot Rod" is taking place.

Suddenly, I can breath again. Although I've arrived late and completly unaware this show was occuring I've made it. I slowly take in my surroundings, exhale and begin to explore the contents of the exhibit.

Inside the approx. 1500sf gallery I see photography by infamous photographers Peter Vincent & David Perry as well as Hot Rods built by the Legendary Vern Tardel.

The show which contains approx. 12 hot rods is somewhat small but very intimate. Although I had seen most of the photography and Tardel cars before it was still truely amazing to see these historic items under one roof in a formal gallery setting.

If you get the oppurtunity, I strongly suggest you take the time to visit the Dean Lesher Center for the Arts in Walnut Creek. How often do you find a formal gallery showing containing the cars and images that rule our thoughts and dreams.

Show Facts:

1601 Civic Drive
    Walnut Creek, CA.94596

Duration of Exhibit: Nov.19 2006 through Feb. 11 2007

Bedford Gallery Curator: Carrie Lederer

-Anatomy of a Hot Rod- Guest Curator: Phil Linhares

Admission: $10

Phone Number: (925) 295-1417

HOT RODS:

1920'S Ford Model T/ Vern Tardel Collection

1921 Ford Model T Roadster/ Robert LeDonne Collection

1927 Ford Model T Hot Rod/ Todd Walling Collection

1927 Ford Roadster Bonneville race car/ Vern Tardel Collection

1928 Ford Model A roadster pickup/ Bob Rushing Collection

1928 Ford roadster pickup hot rod/ Robert Golden Collection

1930 Ford roadster "Rat Rod"/ David DiFalco Collection

1932 Ford roadster/ George Baur Collection

1932 Ford roadster Hot Rod/ Vern Tardel Collection

1932 Ford roadster Hot Rod/ Tom Walsh Collection

1935 Ford Roadster/ Bob Rushing Collection

1935 Ford Roadster Hot Rod/ Phil Linhares Collection

Happy Hot Rodding!!!!

Big Dirty

Attached Files:

2. KottonGin

KottonGin

I will have to try to go see this. Ive met Vern once before and know another one of the hot rod builders personally so i should go show my support.

3. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

...at least you were able to get your wits about you and go in...I just looked around feeling confused...Walnut Creek...hot rods...does not compute...

I had to read about it in the paper to grasp what is happening just down the road.

4. Slide

Slide

Wow... maybe I need to get my workplace to fund a trip to trade show in San Francisco right after New Years... I need to say hey to my cousin that lives in Concord anyways... :cool:

5. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

dirty will you take me on a date to the hot rod gallery. im dying to ride in your new yee ha truck...

6. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Thanks for the info on this, i will definitely be check in this out, only 35 min from home:)
    lookin forward to it!
    thanks again,
    CAB

7. Cool!
    Thanks for the info.
    I'm about 20 minutes away.

8. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

My pleasure guys......I still can't believe there was no info about the show coming.

9. Hell, sounds like a road trip!! Thanks for the heads up....and thanks Cab for posting the fact its close to home without me having to look it up!! Yup, 4 years in this area & I STILL can't find my way round :rolleyes:

10. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

Guys could help me try and keep this thread towards the top so people in the bay area have a chance to check this show out.

THX,
    Dirty

11. plan9

plan9

farmer john called me this morning and told me about it... RAD.
    im going to try and hit the show tommorow, that is just off the hook!!

12. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

Just for info guys, Today Tues the 21st is scheduled to be free from noon to 5:00pm

13. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

in the WC no less...

14. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

thanks for the heads up. Will have to go see it next time I am out there on a business trip

15. ratstar

ratstar

THAT is beauty. The roadster is awesome.

16. Brad B

Brad B
    from Nor Cal

Looks like i will need to check this out. Thanks for the information.

17. I went a few weeks ago. It was a small show, but the quality was outstanding. The hardest thing was keeping my three-year-old from touching the cars.