Register now to get rid of these ads!

241 Hemi Red Ram into a 1935 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by strombergs97, Nov 16, 2006.

1. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello All...Well, getting close to installing my Hemi..I'm wondering if anyone has done this with a 1935 Ford...I have a SBC in it now, but wfant to replace it..too many SBC in Street Rods...
    Anyway any help would be appreciated..OH..I'm using the 350 turbo that is in it now..I do have the adaptor from Hot Heads..Also, using the BBC water pump converstion, it comes with the motor mounts..
    thanks
    Duane....:D

2. marq

marq

I'm getting ready to install a 330 desoto where a 350 chevy sits in my 35-36 truck..............marq

3. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

For the small dodge hemi, the adaptor from hot heads is actually for a small block water pump.

I have the same motor mounts/water pump adaptor on my 32 rails. Just had to make sure the vega steering box fit so the tie rods/etc were all parallel. My left frame mount is a little modified for this reason, but will be plenty strong enough.

By the way, I plan on using studs on the top part of the water pump. The reason is, if you have to change the water pump, then the motor will probably settle, and you will have to tear everything apart to seal it all back up. The studs will prevent it from moving.

Just some ideas...

4. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello Recardo..thanks for the info, I really like the idea of the studs, sure makes sense..I have a MII so don't have to worry about the steering box..I'm wondering if you kept the front sump oil pan or went to a rear sump...I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the brackets, Alt....A/C and power steering.. I have to move the A/c or Alt to the top due to the PS pump..(do they make a electric power steering pump).
    I'm going to use adjustable rockers. I'm having the exhaust rockers modified so I can still use the Red Ram Valve Covers,I don't like the dimpled ones..
    My engine is .030 over and going to run 8.1 to 1 compression. 7 to 1 is alittle weak,(nice for super charger)..over size valves, exhaust ports polished..I have a 3x2 and 4x2 with 97s, not sure which one to use..If the engine will run good with the 4x2, that will be the one..Looks great also..
    Let me know how your comming along and I'll so the same..
    duane..

5. snap too

snap too
    from lost wages

A 241 should be a easy one . I was with a group of "Hustlers" heading to Famoso for the March Meet and one of the members had a 392 stuffed into a '36 3 window , he even had enough room to close the side panels . The secret was keeping the engine low in the chassis .

6. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

I took my oil pan to a local hot rod shop and had the guy cut it and flip it around to make it a rear sump. The front sump would have fit OK, just didn't look right.

I'm not doing air conditioning right away, but in my case, the alternator will be down low on the drivers side. I bought an alternator bracket from a guy at the hot rod reunion last year, and had it chromed locally. Looks a little better than the hot heads one.

You might try and get an electric steering pump off of a Toyota MR2, although they are about $150 rebuilt. 1991-1993 models had them I think. Do a google search.

7. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Call me an idiot, but why are the motor mounts involved with the water pump at all? Please explain.!? :confused:

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

On 241/270 Dodge Red Rams....the waterpump is used as a mounting surface for motor mounts.
    there is no mounts on the block.

9. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

are the timing covers cast or stamped on those?

10. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

That's why this solution is kind of expensive, you have to also buy the hot heads cast aluminum timing cover, or make a flat one to fit under the water pump, and you need to have them modify the cam to convert it from a long snout to a short snout. This also means you need an electric fuel pump.

All of this is good in my book! Just had to pick up a lot of cans on the side of the road to afford it...

11. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Has anyone used the motor mounts and water pump and ran their car on the road for an extended amount of time? How does it hold up?

12. George

George

On that little 241 the 3X2 should be fine.

13. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That will be pretty neat. How far back are you setting the firewall?

14. Andy

Andy

Here is the motor mount that is in my 32. Been there for years and no trouble. I ran the stock water and fuel pumps. Finally went to an electric because I did not trust 40 year old pumps. I drive it long ways.

Attached Files:

15. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

so it's stamped?

if it was cast iron, you could make some kind of front mount, like an Olds.

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thats what mine are.....holding fast.

17. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Sorry, late, but yes, the stock ones are stamped. Multi-curved bulging affair to handle the long snout cam.