Register now to get rid of these ads!

Damn it was a good weekend!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by headhunter, Nov 13, 2006.

1. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Hey all - I hit one of those milestones on my build this weekend and I thought I would share it with you. I've been working my ass off on this every weekend for the past year and I finally got her running and took her around the block. This is my first and it ain't perfect but I'm sure you guys can all remember the first car you built and that feeling when you finally pulled out of the driveway... damn. I guess this is what it's all about!

Anyway, I have some pics below and a YouTube video for you to check out. Basically, it's a '30 Model A Tudor with a SBC 350 - I know, boring as hell but, like I said, it's only my first. If you are interested, I've been blogging the whole build:

http://tinyurl.com/97jau

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Looks cool to me. Perfect stance, nice patina, sounds kinda mean and no extra BS.

- 1 question... why didn't you run a fan off the engine?

3. Boring?:eek: What the hell? That thing rules, it sound tuff and looks mean as hell. Thats a good feeling on the road for the first time. I need to get back to work. Give us some details.

4. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Joe - thanks man, I appreciate it. As for the fan, I'm probably going to switch to an engine fan because that electric one looks like dogmeat... you know, ya just don't realize how things are going to look until you get 'em up there...

I've still got patch panel work to do as well, obviously.

5. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

man that ROCKS !!! i really enjoyed reading your blog , very inspiring

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Boring? Hardly! Looks great to me! Classic, even... Good job.

7. 41 C28

41 C28

Looks great !!! Don't apolgize for nothing. The felling you get the first time you take her our of the driveway and around the block or down the road is indescribable. Enjoy

8. If that,s boring then mine is in a coma.
    Don,t put yourself down so much.

Your car is fucking cool!

9. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Very cool, and a reminder that I need to get back to work on mine

10. screwtheman

screwtheman

I've said it before, I can't get enough of people's build diaries!! The blog is great. You write very well and is is easy to read (well, the gray text on white background makes it a little more difficult!). It's good to see you weren't afraid to spend some money on quality parts. You'll have a (mostly) worry free ride that will be worth something when you're done.

Keep it up!

11. Isnt This On The Bay For Sale?

12. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

Looks awesome!! Great Job Marc. Glad to see you're up and running!!

13. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Thanks guys - it means a lot to me to hear all of this. I'm glad you like it and I'll start posting progress pics more often now. Glad you guys like the blog - pretty much every bolt and weld has been documented there.

I know copperbobber asked for some details - I'll give a quick summary here below but if you want more, the blog says it all in painful detail (http://tinyurl.com/97jau):

- Pete & Jakes frame, front-end and ladder bars
    - Ford 9 in rear end out of a mid 60's sedan - we aren't sure what though. Only 3.00 gears in it so that'll change
    - SBC 350 out of a 69 Chevelle according to the numbers - nothing too hot - just about 350HP - Holley 670 Street Avenger
    - Alumninum Powerglide
    - 1930 Tudor body off of a barn-find in Luling, TX. I bought it off of fordbarn
    - reversed firewall
    - 1946 Ford wheel
    - 65 Mustang seats
    - Firestone deluxe champions on 15in steelies from Coker (before the Alliance discount :()

I plan on patching the rest of the panels, putting in a fabric top, putting in a floor(!), finishing the wiring, and then driving the hell out of it until late January. Then, tear it down, paint and chrome the chassis, and get the body back on for the Round-up. Not sure if I'll have time to do any body work before then... probably just leave the, uh, patina and see how it looks with well done chassis.

I was thinking of chroming the hairpins, ladderbars, and shocks - painting everything else a satin black... any thoughts?

14. flat 30

flat 30

Hard Work Pays Off!!!!!!!! Good For You Nice Ride.....

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wow. So cool to see this thread Marc.... I'm impressed. I had no idea you were this close!!!!! I can't imagine how fired up you must be!

Couple of things:

1. Stance is dead on perfect
    2. Chop is absolutely fluid
    3. Channel is spot on

It's really rare to see proportions like this on a first time build. Hell, it's rare to see a model-a sedan with such good lines period!!! You nailed it man.

16. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Thanks Ryan! So glad that you approve - that expecially is a big deal to me. I have to say, it's all luck, but I'd rather be lucky than good... I'm thinking another month and it should be able to make the trip out to Dripping Springs! I'll keep you posted.

Nick - thanks for the props as well. Couldn't have done it without you!

Marc

17. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

It's not over-chopped, it's not over-lowered, it's not on a 180" wheelbase, and it doesn't have a Deuce shell.

Thank GOD.

Good work.

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I remember my first drive well.......it was only a month and a half ago!
    What a rush!
    I dig the black wheels, caps, and blackwall tires....mellow chop....overall...just a nice, SIMPLE, HOT ROD with PERFECT proportions....

HAMMER DOWN!!

19. alaskanroadzombies

alaskanroadzombies

congrats man at -25 outside makes me wish i had a garage. congrats and car is awesome looks tough.

20. Rodmania

Rodmania
    from Norway

21. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Hey HeadHunter, forgot to mention.. those black wheels with the small caps and blackwall tires look great.

I think that you nailed it.

22. Sometimes we get a little wrapped up in the the whole SBC thing...you did what you wanted and it turned out great. I agree with what everyone's saying about the stance...nice work.

Bryan

23. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Sinister and UptownJoe - thanks for the props on the wheels. I saw that combo in a TRJ issue over a year ago and I absolutely knew that's what I needed to do - I just love the look of the '46 caps, the black steelies, and the blackwall deluxe champions...

24. TimDavis

TimDavis

That thing is bad ass.

Nice to see a Tudor that isn't over-chopped and/or over-channeled.

Super-dialed.

25. ...You flat nailed "THE LOOK", this is what everyone tries for. The overall package is pefect! Thanks for posting.

26. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan

Marc,

That bitch is awesome! I am honored to be able to say I was there the first time that engine roared last spring. Can't wait to see her live and in person. One of these days I'll get my 56 back on the road. With the help of the experienced Villians of course. For us beginners you are a real inspiration.

Hope to see you soon,
    Morgan

27. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

nice work on your ride man. looks good. stance is perfect.
    keep us updated.

28. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

I love it. Makes me want a hot rod.

29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Tuff..very tuff

cool.

30. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Morgan - thanks for the props and thanks for being there this past spring. You bring up a great point - I need to thanks all the Fayettevillains: Cory, Clem, Charlie, and, of course, Jack. Couldn't have done it without your advice and help!

Everyone - thanks so much for the feedback.

Ryan, you are crazy for putting this on the friggen TJJ!

I'm going back to work on this thing and keep ya'll posted.