Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot rodder from Maryland

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by OL 55, Nov 12, 2006.

1. I've been hanging around this site for a year now so I figured it was time to say hello.
    I'm a 54 year old who got into hot rods from watching the older
    guys and my brother mess with their cars as I was growing up. An older guy across the street had a 40 Ford coupe and a kid up the street had a 38 Ford coupe and my older brother had a 57 Chevy 2 door sedan. He sold out and bought a "late model" Muscle car, a 69 Road Runner 440 six pac. Neat car, but I always liked his 57 better. I grew up in the 60's when muscle cars were coming on strong and most of the guys either got rid of thier hot rods or moth balled them in favor of the new factory hot rods. I always had a soft spot in my heart for the old cars, maybe partly because as a kid I used to sit in my Dad's 49 Chevy pick up or 57 Ford and pretend I was cruising. Anyway, I bought my first hot rod in 1972 when I was 15. It was a 55 chevy 2 door sedan with no motor or trans, no front seat or back window, hell even the steering wheel was missing! But it was cheap and it was mine.I cut my teeth on that car learning the joys of engine swaps, suspension rebuilding, well, you know.....all the fun stuff that comes with buying a "junker" as my Dad called it. I still have it. Been fooling with that old car for almost 39 years now...... 327, Muncie 4 speed, 57 Pontiac rear with 488 gears, Cragar mags with L60's stuffed up under the stock wheel wells. Had lots of fun in that car in high school. Its been sitting in the garage for a long time now waiting for its next reincarnation, I'd love to build a gasser. Maybe when I retire. Later in 78 I got my 40 coupe. An old drag car with 327 Chevy, tunnel ram, 2 fours and a 4 speed. It was black with a bitchin black and white roll n pleat interior. We repainted the car black lacquer and I searched the swap meets at Carlisle and York for a set of American Torque thrust (because they weren't available new at that time) and had them polished because that was the shit when I was gowing up, but now with the release of the TT two's, they are everywhere, but they are not the same as my straight spokes. Most people can't tell the difference, but the true hot rodders know. A few years ago I had the upholstery redone in the same style that it was done the first time back in the early 60's. I put over 100 000 miles on it over the years and I still drive it often. Been to the nats in Columbus a couple of times,(NSRA and Goodguys) the nats south, Hot rod reunion in Bowling Green Kentucky, Good guys @ Indy, Goodguys @ Charlotte, etc. as well as the local shows and the numerous cruz nites around the area. I,ve always liked traditional cars and never cared about trophies and despise the element it sometimes brings to the hobbie. I have remained pretty much the same through out the years, never swaying with the trends, taking the abuse about my tuck n roll when the tweed (burlap) trend came along, they tried to talk me into repainting the coupe some easter egg color back in the eighties because its lacquer is pock marked and cracking from too many road trips. But apparently my old beat up hot rod is back in style now due to its road rash and its rubbed through patina that it came by naturally through years of rubbing it down with #7 Meguires.
    So I'll continue to drive my 40 and watch as the next group of young guns puts their spin on this crazy thing we call hot rodding.

p.s. sorry for getting long winded but I work third shift and its kinda quiet tonight. Besides, Ryan said to fill out your profile, so there you have it.:)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. RustyCoupe215

RustyCoupe215
    from Owings, MD

OL 55,

Good to see a more people from MD!!!! Hope you get around to building your gasser project!! Until then love to see pics or come checkout that 40 of yours. There are a few local shows to checkout and lots of info here on the Hamb. Post them PICS!!! Long winded is what the HAMB IS ALL ABOUT!!!

:D

3. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

Amen Rustycoupe.....Amen....Give me them pics and welcome from another marylander.....
    Fitysix

4. I'll see if I can figure out how to post some pics and get em on here. They are traditional in my way of thinking, although the 40 does have radials on it............

5. I'm still trying to figure this pic posting thing out. I can't seem to get more than one pic to post at a time. Oh well, here's one of the 40. I guess I'll just have to post one of the 55 in the next thread....
    [​IMG]

6. here's one of the 55...........

[​IMG]

7. and one more of the 40's interior......

[​IMG]