Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wire wheels, value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Belchfire8, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Don't kill me, I did use the search function and couldn't find my answer. I have found a guy with a set (4) of Ford wire wheels, 16", with 5X5.5 bolt pattern. They are really nice, still have paint on them, and all four V8 hubcaps. I believe they are '35's??? My question is, what would they be worth, this is a good friend of mine and I don't want to take advantage of him as he doesn't have any idea of value either, he's about 72 yrs. old and has had them for years. I was thinking a hundred bucks for the set, does that sound o.k.?

2. Gregory J. Liebau

Gregory J. Liebau
    from Kalifornia

I'd say $100 sounds pretty good. The wheels can be got for less if you look around, but because they have the V8 hubcaps, it seems that's a fair deal. If they didn't have the caps $100 would be too nice.

-Gregory-

(EDIT: As Bubba said below, if they're all painted and such still, then that's just that much more of a bonus. Rusty ones can catch $10-20 apiece sometimes!)

3. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

$100 is a very good deal if they are all nice. Look at ebay under ford wires and look what a really nice set goes for .

4. Squablow

Squablow

I sold two sets last year for $100 per set, and I just bought a set for myself for $100, so I think that's fair. If they were really cherry, $200 would be reasonable.

Don't confuse these with Kelsey Hayes wire wheels, the "bent spoke" wheels can bring $1000 or more for a decent set. They're also 16" with 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern. Don't ask me why they bring more than the Ford wheels, but they do.

5. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Thanks, these aren't mint by any means, but in fair shape, i think with just a sandblast and fresh paint they's look good. The caps are less than perfect, dings and scraps and such...but that's just "character"
    right?

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Make sure none of the lug holes are not enlarged from running loose, $100.00 sounds fair.

7. TravRod29

TravRod29

Kelsey Hayes wire wheels could really bring in about 1000 dollars??

8. Gregory J. Liebau

Gregory J. Liebau
    from Kalifornia

Kelsey Hayes wheels have bent spokes and I believe they're riveted through the rim, in addition to being welded on the inside. I think they're stronger, and they're certainly harder to come by.

I saw a nice, single Kelsey rim fetch somewhere around $175 on Ebay just the other day, I believe.

-Gregory-

9. TravRod29

TravRod29

I got a set of kelsey hayes in the corner of the garage on of my grandpas buddys gave me...i didnt even know thery were kelsey hayes....that made my day...as soon as i seen this and read that, i ran to the garage to see if they were..hah

Travmann

10. TravRod29

TravRod29

Well I look like an ass now....kelsey hayed wire wheels are not ford, they were an option by ford...the spokes are screwed in, like a motorcycle wheel...so i got my hopes up for nothing...just got the old 17 in ford wire wheels...thanx

Travmann

11. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

There's two types of kelseys, The bent spoke kelseys which are rivited to the rim are fairly rare and ajustable spoke kelseys that the spokes are screwed in and are really rare.

12. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

Actually, the bent spoke riveted Kelsey Hayes wheels aren't as strong as the welded Ford Wheels....

They just look cool. and they are expensive...

I run 35 Ford wires on my 28 Model A..have for 34 years...but I never did it right...there's a back up adapter you have to buy for $20 each to support the wheels.

13. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

my dad just bought a set for 100, sounds fair. he thought he was gettin a bargain

14. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

Do you have any evidence as to why the 35 ford wire are stronger than kelseys? I always thought kelseys would be because they had more spokes, (40 as opposed to 36), but then again the 35s might be stronger because they are welded to both the hub and rim so the have tension and compression strength and kelsey just go through a hole in the hub and are rivited to the rim so they just have tension strength...

15. Southfork

Southfork

When I was looking for my first set of 16 inch, bent-spoke Kelsey's back in about 1980 I paid about 30 dollars per wheel at the Pamona swap meet (when I could find any there) and I counted myself lucky if i found any there that hadn't been scarfed up already. Now 25 years later I have several of them under hoover wagons out on the back 40 (along with regular Ford 16 spokers) and haven't bothered to bring the Kelsey's in out of the weather because they seem more commonplace out here in rural America than in LA LA Land. But if they're bringing $175 to $200 each now, i'd better go retrieve them and put something else under the wagons --- Not because I want to get rid of them, but because somebody is likely to help themself to them some night.

16. Gregory J. Liebau

Gregory J. Liebau
    from Kalifornia

As a note... There are actually 32 spokes on the Ford 16's. So, that's eight more spokes, not four.

-Gregory-

17. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

Oh shoot, you're right. The bent spoke Motor Wheels have 36 spokes, I got confused