Register now to get rid of these ads!

FREE BOXES from usps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chaddilac, Nov 10, 2006.

1. chaddilac

chaddilac

Don't know if you guys know or need to know... but the post office gives away free boxes if you order them online. YES FREE!! There are 3 different sizes, then there are some flat ones. Only thing, they are priority mail boxes so you have to use that service at the post office. Here's the link...

http://ebaysupplies.usps.com/

Hope it helps some of you guys that try to find boxes!!

Chaddilac

2. That's awesome.

thanks man.

tok

3. Correct me if I am wrong.. the Priority mailing cost is more expensive than "regular mail"... I have been known to take the "free" boxes and wrap with paper. no USPS Priority or blue label can be visable to bypass this "cheat"..

4. most times it's only a buck or two more.......joe

5. haring

haring

They are also available free at -- SURPRISE -- the Post Office.

6. SOFAKINGMESTUP

SOFAKINGMESTUP
    from Las Vegas

the last time I ued ups and fedx I got the boxes for free also....

7. Uhhh, I was taking those boxes and separating where they glue them together and turning them inside out and taping them back together... No sign of the red, white and blue at all. If you do that, you'll notice there is a string running through under the box "skin".

Yes, if you try and use them, those little strings are ,magnetic and they must have a sensor that checks to see they are getting their Priority Mail fee when they pass by.:eek:

Long story short, I got a nasty letter from the U.S. Postmaster telling me not to do that again... I'm too pretty for federal prison.:D

Be careful!!!

8. squirrel

squirrel

but you can use the priority mail boxes for fedex, right Scott?

I seem to buy more stuff than I ship, so having extra boxes for free isn't a problem for me, I don't have to "borrow" them from the post office.

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

You can only get a couple at a time form the PO... if you order online you'll get about 25, they come flat, and you don't have to drive to the PO!!

On smaller stuff I've found it's only a few cents more to go priority. If you're selling something they buyer pays shipping though... and it gets there in a quicker timeline with priority.

Probably if you turn em inside out and retape em you could use them anywhere. But remember these are property of Big Brother, so if you get caught doing that they let you know.

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

Haring is pretty quick... seeing how the web address is linked to the... Surprise... POST OFFICE! Come on Haring save some of that $3.00 gas Yo!

11. Nocturnal

Nocturnal
    from CO

Free boxes ......for my "frame rails"???? or my "control arms"???? oh, you must have meant "torque-boxes" for my unibody mopar????

Yeah, thats cool, I gotta order some-a-those.

12. I've been using free boxes from the post office since back when Priority Mail was only three bucks even. But I've also been known to walk the mall around closing time on a Monday or Tuesday and pick up boxes there, go to the grocery store, or have a relative get them from work -

Over 3 lbs FedEx is a better deal price-wise by the time you figure tracking and insurance, below that it's a toss-up.

13. I think they should be reusable, anyway. They should just make them out of plastic, with hinged tops and locks... stackable and all one size so you can fill a truck to it's capacity...
    That way there's more trees for me to heat my house with...:)

On a fuel saving note, also, it surprises me that they deliver everyday. If it isn't marked priority, why can't they track their own shit and hold one for a day, if they know another is going to the same address the following day?
    I live a long way from the UPS terminal, and I know it must cost alot to drive out here. Then, they show up again, the next day... :confused:
    That adds up to alot of wasted juice, if you ask me...

oh... and thanks for the tip on the free boxes.

JOE:cool:

14. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

You can get free tape also from the USPS web-site.......it sticks like mad.....not that I use it for anything else.

15. Does Stinky know about this?

16. bellyjello

bellyjello

They, the boxes, are handy to have around. Gift giving season is right around the corner.

17. I love free :D

I just ordered 150 boxs at once FREE! :D

Dont know when and how I will all of them but I will

Thanks for the FYI .............

18. me thinks stinky did know about this and figured ryans's package were gonna be free and that he did not need to confront the 'postal" workers ..
    what with hiscardboardless background "postal" is a bad thing...

19. haring

haring

I'm just busting your hump.

Figuring you need to pay postage on the packages that go out, I end up taking them to the post office anyway, and I grab more replacement boxes while I'm there. But I didn't actually know that they would send you boxes in bulk, so thanks.

It's worth noting that the "flat rate" boxes usually work out well for heavy items that are going cross-country. Sometimes it's much cheaper to go first class if it's to a neighboring state.

20. chaddilac

chaddilac

No problem haring.. I can dish it as well!! ha

Yeah what Haring said about flat rate is true, if you can get it in the box they'll ship it even if it's a hundred pounds!! My buddy Rick from Macsratz.com sent me a bunch of brackets this week, I swear the box must have weighed 50lbs, it was that 12x14x3 box too. Small and heavy... and they all knew which box it was when I came to pick it up!! "Oh that heavy one!"

21. chaddilac

chaddilac

I also figured it was worth a shot to get the word out... cause some of them cats on ebay want to charge a surcharge for packaging, and an extra $15.00 for handling?? what the crap is that? I've found some good deals and haven't bid cause of the handling charge... I don't charge one why should I pay one!!

22. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Uhhhhhhhh they like pretty boys there..
    Dave:D

23. PSYCHOMOTO

PSYCHOMOTO

i use the inside out trick as well but so far have evaded the postmasters eagle eye.
    btw.i know from experience that you can order at least a thousand boxes from them but you will need to show up at the post office with a truck to pick em up............three years later and im still useing that first order

24. river1

river1