Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any info on these "drag mag" wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squablow, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Squablow

Squablow

I just scored a set of these wheels that have "Drag Mag" printed on them. I've heard of them before but this is the only set I've ever seen in person. I was wondering if anyone knew when they were made (what era) and who made them. They're 4 3/4" pattern so I'm not sure what I'm gonna use them on, my '57 Chevy already has Fenton flat spokes on it and that's the only 4 3/4" car I've got. Might have to shop for adapters, I wanna use these on something.

Attached Files:

2. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

You might check on www.Roadsters.com He has some info about rare wheels.

3. ALLISON

ALLISON

made around '64 or '65, they were sold as Mickey Thompson drag mags. They are supposed to have a turned aluminum bullet center that pushes through from behind. If you look around on the back you might find an M/T logo, I've seen them with and with out the logo.

4. Squablow

Squablow

Thanks for the info. I didn't see the M/T on them anywhere, and I bet those turned aluminum centers aren't going to be an easy find. Maybe I can make some. Now I've just gotta sit on them until I find a car they'll look good on.

5. I can't add any technical information, buit those are cool wheels.

6. squirrel

squirrel

how wide are they? they'd sure look neat on my 61 bubbletop....

7. Kustm52

Kustm52

8. Squablow

Squablow

9. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

Here's a few ads for the Drag Mags and other Indy 500 Wheels. The picture is of my set of 15 x 7 Rims. A set on ebay recently went for over $600! Credit ProEnfo for the ads.

Attached Files:

10. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

I say hell with the wheel adapters. You need to buy a car that fits the rims.

11. I dig 'em. I almost bought a set for my Galaxie awhile back- wish I had.

[​IMG]

12. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

AW man those wheels are Dangerous..I know this guy that could git rid of them for you....DANGER...

JK Those are Awesome wheels

13. Mojo

Mojo

One of my favorite wheel designs! I was going to bid on a set on ebay a while back, but they had really shallow backspacing... they would have hung out my fenderwells. I agree with the statement above, find a car for them!

14. Squablow

Squablow

Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like maybe the 500's didn't have the windows in them? Otherwise they look identical. I'm sure the right car will come along to use these wheels on. And I think I'd have to run redlines on them, can't think of anything else that would look better, would fit the period.

15. Over the years, I have had a couple sets, and a freind used them for years on his 55 Chevy. They used to be super cheap, but apperently not so latley.
    Often those rims have a radical offset, making them poorly suited for many cars.

16. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

17. jim lee

jim lee

I have liked these wheels for years. I have them on my 66 GTO. To see how they look. go to page 48 of the Dec. issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines. I also would like to find some replacement center bullets.

18. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Very nice wheels. I love the windows in the spokes.

In the early sixties, several manufacturers produced near identical mags. I think some sold the molds when they got out of the wheel business, and some were blatant copies.

M/T Indy 500 and Hurst were similar, if I recall correctly. When I saw this pic of yours, Western Wheel came to mind. I'll dig through my Popular Customs magazines to see If I can find a match.

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I don't think Mickey Thompson had anything to do with these wheels. He was marketing his own 2 piece riveted wheels at the same time. I bought a set of caps from a guy in Pittsburgh Pa. He seemed to know his shit and claimed that the molds were sold several times with a new name each time. Some had windows in the spokes some didn't. Some had names inside some were not marked.
    [​IMG]

He made the caps by a process called metal spinning. The cap is a thin disc of aluminum that is shaped over a wooden buck on a lathe. Very light and delicate. I watched and old craftsman make a colonial pewter drinking cup an a foot treadle lathe. The whole time I'm thinking hot rod hub caps.:D

[​IMG]

Some have the valve stem in the shiney rim like this one. Some have it in the flat horizontal area between the spokes. They all have a big offset for that deep dish look. That can create problems with some fendered cars.

[​IMG]

1 15"er for the rear and 1 14"er front runner. same wheels with the valve stem between the spokes...right?...almost. The wheel on the left has the bead for the wheel weights and the wheel on the right has a smooth lip. Because there were multiple makers of the same basic wheel, there are a lot of subtle variations on these wheels that can make collecting a set from orphans a bitch. If the details matter to you.:D

20. brandon

brandon

i sold a pair of 15x6 gm's for my buddy probably 6 years ago....would have never guessed they would bring crazy money .....turns out the 15" stuff is real rare.....his pair brought almost 350 ......and that was 6 years ago....brandon

21. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

possible the moon bullet centers they sell would fit those??????????:cool:

22. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

I think I paid about $300.00 for mine about 12 years ago!

I chased them down for several years, bugging the owner of the car they were on. He wouldn't sell them (he was kind of a dick) for whatever reason. I think because he had something I wanted and it made him feel important. We were in High School at the time!

He sold the car and I got them off the new owner.

They've been in my area since they were new. The original owner had them on a '55 Chevy drag car. Fab32 remembers this car. In fact, I graduated with the original owner's daughter. Weird, huh?

Anyway, they are slated for my '55 but are currently on my '65 Impala.

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Tace, I do indeed remember those wheels from when they were new. They were on a '55 Chevy drag car and that's where they should be again. In the meantime, if they are in your way I'll come and pick them up. I've got about .05 cu. ft. of open space in my shop (just ask Lucky 77) so storing them won't be a problem.:rolleyes: :D

Frank

24. rasputin

rasputin
    from Chicago

I also love those wheels. I need a single 14x6 to complete my set so if anybody has one lying around I want it. PLEASE send me a PM if you can help.

They were made by a company called Foresight Ventures. They had nothing to do with Mickey Thompson.

The version with the windows in the spokes were the Drag Mags and the closed spokes were the Indy 500 Speed Wheels. They're both rare but the closed spoke version is super rare and typically bring crazy money. I guess it may have something to do with the visual similarities to the Hurst wheels that retarded GTO resto dudes are willing to trade their manhood for.

The Drag Mags can usually be found at much more reasonable prices.

25. I have a friend that has a 67 fairlane 289/4 spd that he bought new whith the windowed version on it. He still has the original wheels/tires in the attic. He says that when he bought them they came from Edelbrock, so here is another link to the mystery. He bought the wheels the day he bought his car.

Doug

26. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

I hear you. My garage seemed to have shrunk when I added a '60 F100 but I think I can find a bit of space to keep these rims.

I still aim to get over to check out your place. I'm skinny so I think I can fit in .05 cu. ft!

I watched a set like mine go for around $600 last winter on E-bay. How much is "stupid money"?

27. doolittle45331

doolittle45331

You mean these wheels

Attached Files:

• indy.jpg
      indy.jpg
      File size:
      83.6 KB
      Views:
  28. rust&patina

rust&patina

will those fit an 18 wheeler :D

29. Squablow,
    If I had them and they were 15" I wouldn't have a problem changing the bolt pattern on all my hunds and drums. I had a set that resembled them when I was a kid made by a company called Speed Wheel. They said Indy byu Speed Wheel on the back. I think Venice Beach or Torrance or something like that.

Thios are definaltly the wheels produced by MT. Several companies made wheels in that configuration in the mid to later '60s. Very nice looking wheels.

30. Squablow

Squablow

5 year old thread, oddly enough I traded the set in my original post and later ended up getting another identical set but in 5 on 4.5" which I can actually use. Still love these wheels.