Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air Tank Pinhole?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by InjectorTim, Nov 7, 2006.

1. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Looks like I might get air in my garage, The tank I was given has a tiny pinhole, It looks like it could be easily sealed up with a mig tack, but with high pressures involved I just wanted to make sure this would be cool.

2. if you have one pin hole leaking , you have dozens more ready to start leaking

3. 61bone

61bone

No, not kool This indicates that the tank is rusted on the inside beyond its useful life

4. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

would it maybe have a small hole to leak out water?(made that way) just curious.

5. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Mine had one of those, but it wasn't designed that way..............:D

Temp fix, put a metal screw in it ans braze over it.

6. No. The problem is when guys drain their tank they don't get all the water our of it. that wats sits and rusts the tank out from the inside.

You tank is shot. Don't bother welding it. get a replacement. they are cheap.

7. Cheaper than losing an arm or an eye when it blows, and it will. Get a new tank & you won't have to cringe everytime the compressor starts up.

8. Bugman

Bugman

Pinhole = bomb waiting to go off. The pin hole is a sign that the metal is very very thin. one to many clunks or bangs or to much vibration and the whole tank will let loose.

9. t.canter

t.canter

my compressor tank did this about 5 years ago. i put a wad of jb weld over the hole and it hasnt leaked since. never thought about it blowing up.

10. Ive got an old converted freon jug I use for portable air at work.(cars that sit for weeks/months at a time)
    And yes,I cringe every time I fill it,waiting for the cheap ass filler-thingy to blow up in my face.
    Im gonna get a good one after seeing that web site up there !

11. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

EXACTLY!! I know a guy that had one of the small roll around compressors blow up on him while he was working on his car. It damn near blew his leg off. :eek: Required major surgery and he was laid up for months. Not worth it in my book, trash that thing and buy a new one.

12. jasonrmorrow

jasonrmorrow
    from Calgary

But once you buy the new one...cut the sucker in half and find out if it really was rusted !! If you like to torture yourself a little...at least you'll know !! Seriously though it wouldn't be "blown" money...was that a pun ? When safety is a concern its not a bad idea to spend the cash.

13. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I always look at things this way: What happens when my son flips on the compressor to fill his bike tire, and then it blows up?

That line of logic ALWAYS makes me take a few extra moments to ensure I'm being smart and safe in the shop.

Brad

14. THOMAS S&C

THOMAS S&C

There's some good info on this post... I noticed a small leak in the bottom of my tank about a year ago, it's a pretty old comp. ( think it has 1935 patent dates on it) probably should replace the tank before it blows... and I was just up at the shop and had planed on draining my tank, but I forgot again I think I'll wright it down this time.
    thanks
    Me-oh

15. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

So, where are these cheap replacement tanks? Any I found cost almost as much as the whole compresser.
    Gene

16. Big Dad

Big Dad

carefully drain the air .. and destroy that thing before it kills someone

17. Jason455

Jason455

There was a story on here about one that blew up taking out half the stuff in the garage along with a nice car. Someone could die if it goes.

18. chopo

chopo

replace it for sure. We had one go off in our tech glass in high school. It never got drained because it was always in use. made a heck of a mess. stuck some steel pieces into the block wall. very dangerous.

19. old beet

old beet

You got the makeins of a nice big BBQ!.........OLDBEET

20. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

I had a feeling that was the case, glad I made sure.

21. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

My dad worked in a shop when the bottom blew out of one of the compressers. They were big, but they were bolted down and in thier own room. From what I understand they welded a rather large patch in it until it was replaced shortly after. I can only imagine the sound! Once I pulled the valve out of one with 80 psi in it and it sounded like a bomb went off.