Register now to get rid of these ads!

butt reynolds has something he wanted to say...,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sam F., Nov 3, 2006.

1. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Try bran- you sound backed up. And honestly, I know from my own experience that about 98% of the people on here feel EXACTLY the same way about hot rods- it just that only about .067% of them will speak up and say anything because the guys that like the SIDE SHOW rods (2 Percenters) speak up the loudest with a pipe wrench swingin' in their hand. Go for it man- we all mostly fee the same way.

2. old beet

old beet

Sam, when most of there pricks talk about "the way it was" they wern't there. We had to scrape and scuff for parts for our rods. No body was givin away 32 Fords, not then not now. We rolled our cuffs up cause we would grow into them!! Some guys never grew(is that a word/)...Can I still call you Butt?..........OLDBEET

3. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

Good rant, You must be reading my mind. The problem is that these "traditionalist's" reality comes from the pages of the latest comic book (car mag). And the my hair is better than his mentality.

I build my own shit with the idea that it will be in style today or 20 years from now and bend the norm on modifications a little.

By the way, Is my stuffed skunk in the back seat a nick nack? been doing it for years.

Go for your vision and tell the instant experts.........

Attached Files:

4. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

When I want to know how things were before my time I start buying books from that era!If I want to do something from the 50s I'll get books/magazines from then on that subject.NOW I also have this great family called HAMB to go to also!I don't remember seeing a lot of this "Traditional "shit they are building today running around here in the 60s racetracks here even had a 2 week primer rule !I know of only one 32 coupe that never got out of primer and is still on the road from back then.Now what scares the hell out of me is 20-30 years from now some kid will get his hands on one of these supposed old school mags and think that everyone built to this junkyard POS level.I have an A/Altered coupe built in 1960 and I have had some of todays experts tell me that this or that is incorrect for this car for that era yet I have photographic proof that this car was built exactly as I'mtrying to redo it !well I'm not trying to steal this thread it's just most of this rat rod "traditional junk drives me nuts it couldn't even get registered in this state

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i just cut down the shifter in my 39 tranny and added 2 leaves to the front spring :rolleyes:

6. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

no way Dirty2! i love your 32....besides,,you and Rusty definetly know whats up and you guys drive the shit out of your rides,,,alot of the rocker draggers cant make it out of the parking lot!

..like i said before,,i can apreciate the rockerscraping cars just as much as everyone,,they are cool as well,,i like looking at them just like everybody else,,,,and thats great,,its all good

....,its just that it seems that now,,,,alot of people tend to expect everything to be super chopped,supper slammed,,etc...and that in their minds if it ISN'T,,then it's not "cool",,i just dont get that...

7. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I have to laugh when people say primer was never 'in'.

I remember a SCREAMING C/G '40 Willys run by Hill & Zartman that not only was in primer, but Zartman wouldn't wash it!!!

8. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

Now you done went and hurt my feelings!!!! I thought you liked my knic-knacks....sob..sob!!!!:confused: :mad: :D

9. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

AMEN.. most of the 'free advice' I get comes from those that weren't even born yet in the era they're preaching. The ones that find it necessary to tell me how something was not done back then (because they haven't seen it in a mag yet) can usually get me riled up a bit though, I've been at this for over 40 years and am still learning from my peers.
    Not that the youngsters aren't building kickass rods, there are a lot of 'new' traditional or traditional inspired rods out there beating up the highways that I would love to own or would have given my left nut for in the 60's.... MOST of them built better than we did 'back then'...

CC

10. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

You're correct, Porky (Zartman) never painted or washed his car but he did it because he was Porky ..not because he wanted to be "in"...

CC

11. Sticher1

Sticher1
    from Ct

geez butt
    do to it what ever ya want. its nobodysbbutt yours do what makes ya happy
    go for it....

12. overthehillracer

overthehillracer

That's what makes a hot rod show so neat. The variety. I don't agree with everything I see, but I like seeing what others are doing.
    If you wanted them all the same why fuck with buildind a rod. Just restore it stock. The only difference would be the color. 9 out of 10 would have the Quail radiator caps, & the one without has one on order.
    It's yours, build it the way you want it. & anyone who wan't to critize it. Just tell 'em to kiss your ass.

13. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I'm talking about only my little corner of the world I'm 53 and been interested in hotrods since 1959 thats when my folks and I were helped out by a local hotrod club when we broke down. 9 years later I joined that club as a junior member.Back then Ct. had some real anti hotrod laws .And being at the tail end of the so called old school days doesent mean that i wasen't raised in a hotrod family, starting with my grandfather who hotrodded both cars and boats. my dad had a duece coupe when i was born and the car the club helped with was a built 53 ford with trips etc. this was the family car.I have also bought the A/Altered coupe that this club built in 1960 and raced here in cT.and thanks to the HAMB I am finaly able to locate what ineed to restore it

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Damn Butt......nice rant.....but yer preachin' to the choir......
    Go post this on that OTHER board......hahahahah!

15. I like some of the knicks, but most of the knacks suck!!

16. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha Ha....that is about the funniest thing I've read here in a while! I've been saying the same thing for a long time, I'm glad people are starting to THINK about it, though!

Ha Ha...well said!!!

17. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

It takes a real man or a liar to not give a shit about others opinions when it comes to their project car. Your project is a rolling report card of your creativity, skill set, taste, etc. Most men will say they don't give a shit but when the chips are down they probably do. Why do dudes including me, post pics of their cars and works in progress? Some copycat cars are bitchin if they copied a nice car WELL. I gotta go play my Johnny Cash CD and polish my sheep ass lemming quail radiator cap on my model A. wink.

18. Dirty2

Dirty2

I know, I was just messing with ya.:D But there is going to be a major change in the old tudor.

19. the-rodster

the-rodster

I came.

I looked at it.

I told you how to build it.

That's all you need to know :)

Rich

20. Big Tony

Big Tony

Ya know if we all dug the same crap this would being a boring way of life or hobby what ever YOU want to call it. Glad to see peopel sticking to their guns on what they like and don't give in just cause it will fit in...cause hell its your car and your money anfd Your the one driving.

21. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

DAMN... I just cruised the 50% post holloween sale. I picked up a cool toy wolfman riding a harley that sings and howls when you press the button. I was gonna rig it to my brake lights and run it in my rear window.

DAMN you Mr.Reynolds... DAMN YOU!!!

22. bobw

bobw

When you're at a car show or rod run and you see a car that doesn't fit your idea of a correct hot rod, quickly look away to avoid an unpleasant emotional reaction. Invest your energy in building rods that suit your taste, looking at cars you like and talking to car people you find stimulating. You'll never have to rant again!

23. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Who the hell is this Sam F guy preaching like he's THE Butt Reynolds?!?!?

24. This reminds me of a phone conversation I had a while back with a deuce frame vender I'll call Doug (not a real name)
    Me:Can you tell me about your frame?
    Doug:What body are you going to use?
    Me:I'm thinking of a brookville 30/31
    Doug:Save up more money and get a 32 body, they look better.
    What engine are you using?
    Me: 24 stud flathead.
    Doug:You know, you can't beat a small block chevy.
    What rear you using?
    Me:I have an extra 36 ford thats in good shape.
    Doug:The ford nine in. is the way to go. Set it up with P&J ladder bars, you won't be disapointed.
    Me:O.K., Thanks for the help.
    Doug:Sure, when you decide on what your're going to do, give me a call.

I had to laugh when I hung up the phone. I almost thanked him for telling me how to build my car.

25. 21tat

21tat

Sometimes knick knacks are kind of pretty.

26. Harmon39

Harmon39
    from pa

really good rant... you read my mind

27. Knick – Knacks!

That struck a nerve and I was ready to go off on a rant. But I won’t.

I love Mopars.

However, every time I see a Road Runner with a stuffed Coyote sitting on the engine or in the drivers seat, or a Super Bee with a bazillion little stuffed bumble bees placed all over it................

I mean you have a 69 M code Super Bee with a romping stomping 440 Six Pack..........and you put $29.99 worth of stuffed bumble bees on the motor................

Nami-Oh, Rinki-Oh
    Nami-Oh, Rinki-Oh
    Nami-Oh, Rinki-Oh
    Nami-Oh, Rinki-Oh

I feel better now. Have a great Sunday.