Register now to get rid of these ads!

Survey: Most Under rated Cars of all time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carpet Bomber, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Carpet Bomber

Carpet Bomber
    from Minnesota

What is your opinion on the most under rated cars ever made?

2. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Studebaker Champions and Chrysler Airflows come to mind as cars that didn't get much respect in their days, but were really pretty good cars.

3. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

1932 Fords :)

uncleandy 65 likes this.
  4. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

The Ford Edsel.

bedwards likes this.

5. JamesG

JamesG

1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk.

BJR likes this.
  6. Ruiner

Ruiner

The Airflows were considered a flop...but the '40 Plymouth/Dodge/Chrysler was an under-rated car, maybe not at the time since they sold well, but over the course of its life it's been pretty well forgotten except by a few restorers...it's a shame that the '40 Fords have taken the spotlight, but at least I know I can pick up a '40/'41 PlyDoChry pretty damned cheap, and have a nice riding solid car to boot...

7. overthehillracer

overthehillracer

It's not really traditional, in the context of this board.
    But my vote would have to go to the ubiqutous VW Beetle.
    This car was designed in 1932 by Ferdinand Porsche. Built & imported into this country by the millions untill 1969. Built in Mexico untill (I think) last year. So damn simple anyone can work on it. The flat air cooled 4 has powered just about everything. Countless sand rails, kit cars of every description, homebuilt airplanes. This was the genisis of all the 4 cyl. Porsche engs. that won countless races. The list goes on, & on.
    Besides, I taught both my girls to drive a stick, on one. "Just let the clutch out EASY, & don't touch the gas" Piece of cake.

Anyway that's my vote.

Sart156 likes this.
  8. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

today most older cars are sought after and none are Under rated. In the day in my opinion(not that counts for anything) most of the medium sized fords with the 427's and the early chyslers with the 413/426 wedge motors were under rated unless you had raced against one or owned one. :p Friends :cool: my daughter likes the smiley faces:rolleyes: :) :eek:

9. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

'47-48 Frazer. I dunno. Something about them that makes me smile. They kinda have this not quite a Rolls Royce look about them. I know, I'm weird.

Vance

10. Clark

Clark

Lets see...the 40's Plymouth coupes have real nice lines but were always overshadowed by the Chevy's and the Fords. I guess the same could be said for the 33/34 Plymouth coupes.
    Clark

11. OK. Where is the under rated part? The Beetle is an icon.

12. It has to be the Dodge Omni GLHS. Yes, I'm serious... maybe.

Guthrie1068 likes this.
  13. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

those little cars were freakishly fast for a POS econbox...pretty durable too. I read where the GLH designation actually came from the factory meaning Goes Like Hell....who says engineers don't have a sense of humor.

Guthrie1068 likes this.
  14. Carpet Bomber

Carpet Bomber
    from Minnesota

I'm going to go with the, Don't kill me, the Corvair.

Guthrie1068 and uncleandy 65 like this.
  15. Anderson

Anderson

My mom had one of those. It was blue...she traded it in on a Honda.

nothing is over rated.....everything that was "underground cool" has been discovered by now.

16. Good Wood

Good Wood
    from pa

Early '50's Hudsons ran like hell, but nobody seemed to be aware of them. They used to kick the shit out of the Fords, Mercs, and Chevys that everyone was running. They also tore up the Nascar circuit back then.

BJR likes this.
  17. Ruiner

Ruiner

Coupes schmoopes...sedans are where it's at :p Then again, I'll let all of you guys snatch up all of those silly coupes and I'll stash up the leftover sedan's nobody wants...they look better anyway :D

18. blasted

blasted
    from N. Tex

Gremlin X
    opps did I say that

BJR likes this.
  19. 1951 Kaiser traveler, it had a hatchback, Padded dash, popout windshield, and more room inside than you can believe. You could flatten the rear seat and make up a bed in the back.
    I remember my uncle worked for a Kaiser dealer, and another was the foreman out at the Kaiser plant in willow run, out side of Detroit.

BJR likes this.
  20. rev383

rev383

Hudsons (fast) and Tuckers (engineering and design)

BJR likes this.
  21. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Yep...anything from AMC......They were well built and generally ran like tops..................except for the 62 aluminum blocks.

BJR likes this.
  22. Corvettes-:D Oh I thought you said Overrated...

41 -48 chevy cars were a great ol car that were overlooked by most folks, and still are an aquired taste for many....

23. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Pacers and 52 Packards.:p

SS327 and BJR like this.
  24. roddinron

roddinron

I'd say almost any studebaker, they always seemed to have little innovations that placed them ahead of the rest. Really amazing when you consider their shoe string budget.

jetnow1 and BJR like this.
  25. belair

belair

1940 Pontiacs are good looking cars you rarely see.

BJR likes this.
  26. Rambler american with the 390 /4speed comes to mind....waaaaay underrated sleeper

rod1 likes this.
  27. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

Definately Hudsonsand I was gonna throw in Cord the orginal not the crap repops of the 70's. Way ahead of there time and amazing styling

BJR likes this.
  28. moparvetern

moparvetern

anything amc, most pre 1980 mopars, hudsons, nash, packards, lasalles, cords, deusenbergs, marmons, muntz, pierce-arrow, studes, crosleys, and any other odd ball or small time car builder that i might have missed.

29. Scott K

Scott K

Clark,
    Gotta agree with you on the 40 Ply. Much better styling and engineering than the F#@d. The only thing they lacked was the V-8. Plus my dad has had one for 25 years:).

Gotta chime in for the perennial whipping boy...the Dodge Dart (and sibling Plymouth Valiant).

30. Ornery37

Ornery37
    from Texas

I think it is the cars that came out when the Chevy Tri-Five came out. I like the Tri-Five (mainly the 55 chevy), but the Fords, Plymouths, Pontiacs, and Olds were also very good looking cars.

BJR likes this.