Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did a search... no luck....9" Ford ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curly, Nov 3, 2006.

1. I searched not only here but google and a yahoo search for an ID on this 9" Ford I picked up.

I picked it up a few years ago for a "PRO_STREET" type plan in my head. It supposedly came from a truck....I noticed it seemed heavier than usual but paid no mind to it (figured I was past my prime and shit would start to get heavier).

It is a big web housing with 3 1/4" axle tubes necked down at the end for a standard housing end. 5 on 5 1/2" Bolt Pattern Tag reads:
    WDM DC 2C30
    47 9 S322B

Want to make sure it is what I think it is and standard 9" stuff will fit it. I don't think it is a TRAC-LOC but it could be a 31 spline 3/4 ton rear end but the Bolt Pattern tells me 1/2 ton.

2. scarylarry

scarylarry

3. 5window

5window

4. kentucky

kentucky

5. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

No idea about your specifics, but it sounds like standard 9" ford stuff to me - albeit truck. I'm working on the exact same thing for the '47 right now. Heavy housing - big tubes tapered on the ends for std bearings - kinda wide - mine will get narrowed some. Any 9" center will drop in and with some minor tweaking I'm told a 9-3/8" will drop in as well.

As for the "pig" - when in doubt - post a pic. AS I understand there were two ford clutch type posi's - trac-lock and aww shit I forget the other - anyways ONE is pretty much obsolete and I'm told you cannot get clutches for it anymore. So long as it ain't THAT one you're golden. Sounds like what you have was purchased COMPLETE - that's a big help - other than ID-ing it you are already WAY ahead - I'm putting mine together from scraps here and there - kinda of a pain.

6. Frank

Frank

If its got leaf spring perches on the top of the axle tubes, its a truck.

If the bolt pattern is 5 x 5 1/2" the axles/drums at least are truck (never know what someone has swapped around.)

The 3 1/4 axle tubes are throwing me though since most are just 3".

7. John1964

John1964
    from BC, Canada

Can't find a listing for WDM DC, but all WDM codes are for 63 - 71 Ford F100's, 9" , 28 spline, non- locking diferentials. The 2C30 is the date code of 1962 (could possibly be 1972?), March 30th. 47 doesn't seem right? your missing a number for the axle code. The 9 is for 9" inch, and S322B ??? don't know, maybe plant code?

check out this site for ford rear Diff codes. http://www.fordification.com/rearends-ford2.htm

8. squirrel

squirrel

is there a mangled or missing 2 in front of the 47 on the tag?

9. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Frank's on the money with the spring perch comment. I just finished torching those off mine or I'd have taken a picture of it to show.

But here's a shot showing the truck housing (albeit a tad narrower) showing the subtle difference in the 3" to 3-1/4" axle transition.

If I remember correctly (?) Ford had 3 different 9" housings. The light duty - medium duty and heavy duty. I don't recall which this one is - definitely NOT the light duty one.

Attached Files:

10. this was very helpful guys..thanks,

tok

11. Aman

Aman
    from Texas