Register now to get rid of these ads!

STILL wont run!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hop-up, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Hop-up

Hop-up

I am SO sorry, my mom started yelling at me and turned it off. Sorry!

2. Hop-up

Hop-up

its a 62 comet, neg. ground.

3. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

How many volts does the battery read?

12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1?

4. Hop-up

Hop-up

5. doowoprodder

doowoprodder

hopup, if you are in houston texas, I am sure a Hamber local would swing by with his $1.99 harbor freight test light and do the drill.....
    where "are" these local guys anyway ?

6. OK. Had to go run anyway. Look, the points are nothing but a switch. They open and close a path from ground to the positive side of the battery. This path passes through the coil as well. - side of coil to dist and + side of coil to battery via ignition switch. Your problem seems to be on the dist side of this path. That wire from the - side of coil has to run to the moving part of the points. Make sure it does...this pic is from the wiring diagram for your car..

http://www.tocmp.com/tOCMP/wiring/5765wiring diagrams/Ford/MWire5765-181.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Hop-up

Hop-up

it does, but when i look at it, it seems that the wire from the coil desnt have any sleeving on it, could it be shorting out on some piece of metal?
    i just checked, and my condenser and coil wire hook to my points.

8. Yes, that wire must be insulated.

9. Hop-up

Hop-up

ill go fix that..

10. Hop-up

Hop-up

ok, it is insulated.

11. Hop-up

Hop-up

OK, im out. adjustable, Thanks INCREDIBLY for all your help. i knowit got me closer to having it running. Ill try and get someone from the HAM gathering sunday to help me so i can have another set of eyes. Thanks a ton!!

12. old beet

old beet

Don't they fly to the moon from Houston? Sure a Ford 6 can't be all that hard to start. Help the kid out!............OLDBEET

13. overthehillracer

overthehillracer

Don't know if this will point you at your problem or not, but a few things to look at.
    First of all, I don't know what kind of car this is, but if it has a module. Even rebuilts can be bad.
    Sorry, don't remember if you replaced your cap or not. When you're trouble shooting. always look at the inside of your cap. It's nearly impossable to spot a ceack from the outside. as the inside is clean & shiney they readily show up. Usually a cracked cap won't cause your problem, except in damp weather.
    Crank it over in the dark, & look for the light show.
    Don't get discouraged, we all had to learn sometime. When you figure it out you won't forget it.
    Find some old timer who has messed with point distributors, back in the day. Pick his brain. Don't bother to ask the counter person at your local parts store, he'll probably be 22 & won't have a clue.

Good Luck.

14. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

You read that with a volt meter right?

15. Hop-up

Hop-up

sure did, but ill re do it as i may have had it on the wrong setting.