Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pomona swap meet opinion needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T McG, Oct 30, 2006.

1. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Is the December one worth bringing a bunch of stuff to, or is that not a good one? I know some are better than others, and I haven't been there to sell in 20 or more years. I know it all depends on what kind of crap I have to sell, but I have a good variety of general stuff. I really don't want to haul a bunch of parts for 6 hours across the desert if nobody is there for that one.

2. I was about an hour away and then road work made it 2 hours away. I didnt go last time for that reason.

I dont take any "good stuff" anymore, because nobody wants to pay anywhere near what its worth. I'm not saying what it sells on ebay for or anything like that. I would rather trade my parts for something I need than sell it there. It seems theres alot more Chinese junk sellers and new & repro product sellers there. Not too many guys just cleaning out the yard.

Obviously it depends on what you have. Chevy parts, even Ford parts since so few sell them, and Hot Rod parts sell. If they are cheap.

Theres tons of people every time. It has thinned out in the last 5 years. It typically is dead by 9 or 10 am. It hasnt sold out on spaces in more than a year. If its going to rain, forget it.

If you havent been there in a while, it still may be worth the trip.That way you can judge for yourself.

You have anything a HAMBer might need?

3. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse

I have been to the Dec meets several years in a row, and it's usually a very modest crowd. The shopping season is in full swing and the Mommys are busy running up the credit cards so Daddys can't buy much Rod parts.

Daddys usually have to wait until after income tax refunds come to buy parts.

4. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I'm there everytime looking for Ford stuff but there is is rarely anything good, if you have good stuff people will pay top doller, such as myself. I tried to spend money last time but couldnt, Chevy overload, nothing against Chevy guys btw.

5. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

yeah...pomona sm is has been going downhill for many years...Dont get me wrong....if you wanna get some chrome valve covers for your small block or some fancy taillights for your girlfriends Civic you are set for life. but last time i went there hahaha maybe an old car part (that we would want) maybe every 15 rows....
    Still I go every time just becuase the one time i dont go there is the deal of the century. never seen the december one any better than the rest. but you never know. hahaha so i guess go sell you never know

6. eric

eric

if you were to go i'd say to DEFINITLY show up after tax season. it was full right after tax season, lots of money to be spent. then it died down again. their is definitly ALOT of stuff that shouldn't be there. lots of walking for LOTS of crappola. ford parts are scarce, but if you have a chevy it's a good place to be. my lucks changed and i've actually been doing better buying things at Long Beach rather than Pomona.

7. Pomona has turned into a chevy nightmare and a Toy fest. I say that because when you go to look for Ford parts or other makes...they are impossible to find. :mad:

You can find a chevy alternator on every row :rolleyes:

Desertrodder is right, people wont pay a good value in parts these days either...or finding that part you need costs a fortune. Ebay has killed it some respect.

Huge Corporate/Speed shop booths...not alot of benefits to get it there, when the price is the same over the phone.

I dont go unless I need body work or shop materials. Good prices.

8. McFly

McFly

Pomona Swap Meet has been going down hill ever since Buddy Holly died.

9. lol :D

10. Thats funny ,

CBB

11. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

December is not good.Wait till tax time.
    Ebay killed pomona and other swap meets. I love it when somebody has a pile of crap and they say i saw one go for that on ebay.
    To many people trying to cash out on 4 doors and nothing cars and the enjoyable streetrodder turned ratrodder.:eek:

12. mrkerb

mrkerb

I have to agree with the other Socal guys. Back in the day, Pomona was both huge and awesome. Today, it is chrome goodies for you SBC, air cooled VW stuff etc. I like going during the winter months because it's cooler but I seldom see anything really interesting - though I did see a Fish carb once!

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Pomona has lost it's luster. Don't expect a lot when selling. But, you may find the right buyer. Same as going to buy, may be a waste of time. But, if you luck out that one part you are looking for may show up. Same for Long Beach. But, if you want good and big swaps go to Tulock, CA Jan 27-28 or San Diego Feb 24-25. Pomona is the site of the L.A. Roadsters Father's Day Show/Swap and that always has kool swap stuff.

14. 53chevy

53chevy

Hold out till Feb 2007 for the Big 3 in San Diego. If you have Ford, Chev, etc., this will probably be worth your time. Pomona can be a drag most of the time, but, good parts do pop up.

Ken

15. 53chevy

53chevy

I'd say LA roadster show too, but lately it's kinda like "Look at Me", power parking in the swap meet area and selling nothing, and it's been HOT the last couple of years too!

Ken