Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shop tool adaption

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seabeecmc, Oct 25, 2006.

1. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a·dap·tion (ə-dăp'shən) [​IMG]
    noun
    The act of making suitable to an end or the condition of being made suitable to an end.
    I like the word adaption much better than adaptation which sounds more like making the movie from the book. These are garage adaptions. The phase converter crapped out so I had to build another which made me realize there are many adaptions in the hot rod garage. Show me some of yours. Here's some of mine. There's the Volvo transmission on the drill press. There's the diesel saddle tank over the air compressor feeding fuel oil to the heating system. There's the photographers floodlights over my small lathe. There's the pillow block adaption for the disc sander. Angle iron holding anvil and horse shoes holding tools.Now I'd like to see some other shop uses of available stuff. Regards, Ron

Attached Files:

• d1.jpg
      d1.jpg
      File size:
      55 KB
      Views:
    • d2.jpg
      d2.jpg
      File size:
      40.8 KB
      Views:
    • d3.jpg
      d3.jpg
      File size:
      50.3 KB
      Views:
    • d4.jpg
      d4.jpg
      File size:
      41.7 KB
      Views:
    • d5.jpg
      d5.jpg
      File size:
      35.9 KB
      Views:
    • d6.jpg
      d6.jpg
      File size:
      44.6 KB
      Views:
    • d7.jpg
      d7.jpg
      File size:
      37.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Crap, how'd I miss this thread!????

....some very cool/cheap ideas......I really wish I could "think" and "create" things.....

I have to copy......:rolleyes:

thanks for sharing

3. GENERATORSHOVEL

GENERATORSHOVEL

Do you have some more info on building the phase converter? I've heard about home built rigs, but thought they may be sketchy.

4. striper

striper

Nice work...however... I think that bastardisation of the English language is my single most annoying. I don't mean to offend my northern brothers but why the fuck can't you guys leave it alone? The word is (was) ADAPTATION.

Pete

5. It rhymes with "contraption" too. Great post! Stu

6. Don't get me going on this subject.
    I've never seen such poor use of the English language plus poor spelling, as I've seen here.

7. rev383

rev383

Great reuse of stuff. I'm really glad to see it in today's throw away world. The city kids I teach seem quite amazed when we fix something. The farm kids aren't. Some things don't change over time.

Rev (seabee cmcs) grew up in NY, retired to Utah

8. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

I like bastardized tools too, they serve a purpose. Kustom spelled with a k is my pet peeve. Some hambers just have no respect for the king's english. wink.

10. manicmechanic

manicmechanic

Is that a 325 Quincy compressor? That's a real workhorse. Beats the hell out of that Home Depot or Lowe's Crap...:D

11. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good eye! The complete overhaul kit. And I mean complete was less than eighty bucks. It provides all the air the shop needs. Is enough cfm to stay ahead of the sand blaster fabricated from a large propane tank. Regards, Ron

12. striper

striper

Uh...You got me there.....illiterate...but TUFF

13. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

yep, those are haus cats! i'm glad you cleared that up......at first i was thinking, "he's using that nice compressor just for heating!" then you said it takes care of the shop air too and i notice the air tank underneath...:D

tell us more on the phase converter....

14. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

when i was a kid, grandpa and i went to an ole' buddy of his'.......i was just a kid, but somehow i remember him saying you had to use the pony motor to get the 3 phase motor spinning, then you disengaged the pony motor.......

that's about as much as i ever leared...i was always curious.....

thanks

16. The word "kink" was also used in the 19th and early 20th century. Meaning a trick used by a craftsman. Weather it was making a special tool, or just a new way to complete a certain task.
    There's lots of old books on "Kinks and Tricks" for boilermakers, steam fitters... pretty much any shop man.

JOE:cool:

17. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More. Fixture for pressing out Ford banjo pinion. DO NOT use bottle jacks in housing, it tweaks the housing. Press fabricated from channel. Sand blaster from propane tank. Engine stand made to side mount engine. Facilitates flywheel , clutch, bell housing etc. installation. Normal engine stand made from discarded signpost. Engine test stand fabricated from discarded remnant pieces. Has no one any of their's to share? Regards, Ron

Attached Files:

• ad1.jpg
      ad1.jpg
      File size:
      33.6 KB
      Views:
    • ad2.jpg
      ad2.jpg
      File size:
      33.7 KB
      Views:
    • ad4.jpg
      ad4.jpg
      File size:
      45.3 KB
      Views:
    • ad5.jpg
      ad5.jpg
      File size:
      48.3 KB
      Views:
    • ad7.jpg
      ad7.jpg
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
    • ad8.jpg
      ad8.jpg
      File size:
      51.5 KB
      Views:
    • ad9.jpg
      ad9.jpg
      File size:
      109.1 KB
      Views:
  18. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

yeah.....

what is the motor attached to....

yes, some very nice stuff on the cheap

19. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Just to clarify what I think Ron meant (Ron if I misunderstood you please let me know). What Ron describes is a very basic and very common method for generating 3 phase off single phase power. But I think Ron's comment (bold below) might be misunderstood to believe you are using "plain" 110 legs of power. What you are really doing is hooking up 220v SINGLE phase (the two hot legs) to your 220v THREE phase motor - which is what I believe Ron said - it's just a bit confusing when they are called 110v legs (which yes I understand - if you were to measure from one to ground you'd measure 110 - but to measure across the two you'd get 220v)

Just my feeble attempt to help clarify - probably made it more confusing:mad:

Other ways would be to totally get rid of the pony motor and just wrap a rope on the "converter" motor - give the rope a yank and then put the 220v power to it - as Ron said once spinning it will continue to spin on single phase.

One could also use START caps in place of the rope or the pony motor. The LAZY man's approach.:D

20. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I did forget that one. The quick and dirty way to get your horizontal mill up and running. Remove armature from crapped out original motor clean up on lathe, install pulley, install replacement motor above. Kinda uses original motor as pillow blocks.

Thanks to Hemi Rambler for understanding the difference between thoughts and written words. He nailed it. I didn't. Regards, Ron

21. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Ron, I gotta say - THAT'S freakin' awesome!! Talk about using your noodle!!! Necessity IS the mother of invention at your place! That's one I wil have to keep in the 'vault' when I'm checkin out the scrap machinery dealers around here!!!

22. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER