Register now to get rid of these ads!

Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore! B&W to Colour pic!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Over the last couple of weeks I have been emailing with Curt Giovanine son of Bob Giovanine who with Chuck Spurgin ran the Giovanine/Spurgin '25 Chev lakes roadster in the late 40s, this car ended up as SCTA points champion for the 1948 season with 300 points. They also broke their own class record at each SCTA meet that year. They had help from fellow Albata club mates Bob Rufi who held the SCTA speed record of 140 mph set in 1940 this record stood for 8 years till the Stu Hilborn streamliner broke his record & Duke Hallock who built the famous Hallock windscreens plus the one off carbs that this car ran.

Curt has given me some great info on this car and the one he built with his dad Bob in the 90s this info will be invaluable when building my version of this iconic but little known lakes roadster.

By now you are wondering WTF is the go with the title of this thread, well Curt emailed me this B&W pic of his Dads & Chucks roadster and after seeing Rikster's Colourised picture of the outdoor Custom show I thought I would try my hand colourising this photo, I kinda like the result, so did Curt :cool: .
    enjoy!
    Cheers
    Jimmy
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. T-Roy

T-Roy

F'n KooL...

-Troy

3. thats preety damn good.

4. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Looks pretty good. Cool!
    One of my earliest colorized images was an adv. of a '55 Chrysler 300, "the car that swept the Field at Daytona", which I printed in poster-size.
    Pics like above make me want to do some more grayscale images.

5. Magnus B

Magnus B

WOW!!!

Very cool colors on a VERY cool car.

//Magnus

6. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i was wondering how you got that nice color picture!
    great job!
    I'll get you the one i said about soon
    i havent been home in a couple days :rolleyes:
    Zach

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Be sure to keep us posted on the build!
    Funny, as this was being posted, Kansas was being hit by tornados.

8. Thanks for comments guys!

:eek: I hope everyone is okay! :eek:

I will keep the board posted on my project's progress, I still need a couple suspension components then the build is a go.

BigBlockMopar, It is really cool to see a grayscale pic come to life in colour, isn't it!

Zach, that's cool, whenever you get a chance.

9. bttt
    This is my roadster in mock-up.
    [​IMG] <---click to enlarge

10. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Cool post.........Do you have any more pix of the car and the belly pan?

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

that's awesome.

12. Bugman

Bugman

What exactly is involved with colorizing? I mean, how do you know what colors to put where and how do you get the shade right?

13. headsoff

headsoff
    from Ely UK

[[​IMG][/quote]

Hi there, here's a B+W to color picture I had a shot at. The original picture was in a Hot Rod magazine special that came out about 10 years ago. the colors are a bit bright, I was trying to get the look of old Ectachrome film.
    Tony.[​IMG]

14. headsoff

headsoff
    from Ely UK

Well that worked well!! OK, lets have another go at loading the picture.[​IMG]

15. headsoff

headsoff
    from Ely UK

OK, Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I've resized the picture to fit and followed the instructions on the HAMB, but the mother wont load!!
    AAAARGH.... Tony.

16. Thanks Chris!
    I am expecting a couple of CDs to arrive in the next couple of days so I will post some pics then, until that time there are the same pics on the AHRF website http://www.ahrf.com/image_detail.php?type=collection&position=59&CollectionID=37 & http://www.ahrf.com/view_collection.php?page=3&CollectionID=37

Bugman, it is a little hit and miss but red is dark, white and yellow is light, light blue is mid tone. I just played around until I was happy with the result.
    The colours I did in separate layers and had the layers set to overlay and changed opacity till it looked right.

Headsoff, when posting a reply scroll down till you find "Manage Attachments" click the button, a pop up window will open, click on Choose file button and choose the desired image off your hard drive, click the upload button once that has uploaded close pop up window and submit reply. Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Jimmy

17. Thats excellent.

I didn't realise you was so far ahead in your clone.

Have you seen the full page picture of the Giovanine/Spurgin car in one of the early Rodders Journal? No. 5 I think?

18. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

No! but you have peaked my interest :D :D :D As my TRJ collection starts at No7 :(

I do have the majority of the parts needed, I just need to locate a '27 Torque Tube, model A front crossmember, lowered front spring and '36 rear wishbones.
    Cheers
    Jimmy

19. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I'm certainly no where as knowledgable as you on this car, but to me is doesn't have '36 rear bones.

The ones on the car don't appear to mount the same as the 36 bones, and to me they look more like 37-48 rear bones, as these bones attach where the backing plate bolts to the axle, whereas the 36 bones bolt further inward, by 4".

Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

20. You are right, it doesn't have '36 bones!

I have a pair of '38 bones as per original but I want to use the '36 as I don't have to fabricate spring mounts plus the belly pan will cover the suspension. I am also using a '38 front as I can lower it more. I can't run split bones on full rego so the bones will be unsplit. There will be differences but it will be visually the same which I want not an exact copy as the original is being restored.
    Cheers
    Jimmy

21. March 1949 Hot Rod feature
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. Heres that Chevy 4 from The Rodders Journal no.5.

Its missing part of the left hand side of the picture because I couldn't get it in the scanner.
    Its not my copy so I didn't want to damage it.

Its a great picture.

It lists the car as the Duane Steele lakes roadster? Different car? Engine sure looks the same.

[​IMG]

23. I appreciate the scan! Thank you!
    The carbs look like the ones Duke Hallock built and the exhaust and firewall are the same, so yeah I would say it is the old G&S car as Duane Steele had the G&S motor in his collection, the motor would of been pulled and the car sold to Carl Borgh who rebuilt it with a mid mounted GMC six, this GMC powered version was featured in the October 1956 Hot Rod mag, I don't have a copy at this time but I am chasing one.
    There was also a small write up on this car in Hop Up Annual 3 pg 72-73 talking a bit about the history and how it was found in the desert.
    Cheers
    Jimmy

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Cool I like seeing old black and whites but always wondered what color is this really. Awesome thank you.

25. No problem.

I'm glad it is the same vehicle. Can't be many Chevy 4's with intake trumpets like that!

26. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Here are the scans from Oct. 56'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

27. BTTT....I really admire that car, and your enthusiasm to build a version of it...

Cheers,

Drewfus

28. INTAKE TRUMPETS? Man, I thought they were for jousting!:D

Jamie, I reckon you and me are going to end up with very similar looking vehicles.

29. Sodbuster, awesome thank you!:cool:

Drewfus, thanks mate! It is a cool car hey?!

Peddro, They're for both! I'll race ya when our roadsters are finished! We should have them finished at the same time.......... 2012 ;)
    more pics!

the Bob Rufi Streamliner 1940
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. 1994
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chuck Spurgin Background. Bob Giovanine foreground.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers
    Jimmy