Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds one piece windshield in R&C

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NONAME, Oct 27, 2006.

1. got my January issue Rod and Custom last week (in Oct.??) always great to see Pat Ganahl's name anywhere, I'm surely not knocking Mike Cox at the Glass house (maybe I am) he got those grey whiskers somehow!

It's a great article and good information, But my 40+ years in autoglass I have earned my grey whiskers too! I would like to add a couple of items that might help someone doing this at home.

when you look at the pictures (always do this first) photo number 10 shows a brand new rope (mines ten years old) photo 11 shows mike laying a bead of sealer on the pinch weld (a definate no no!) photo 13 shows why. all that sealer gets pulled in on the rope, headliner, gasket, hands, seat, dashboard, by a do it your selfer, I'm sure Mike has a system and makes a minimun mess and has plenty of new rope.
    The way I apply sealer is on the gasket itself, I'll add photo's later. when you have the gasket on the glass and the rope in the groove, you'll notice the factory engineered a spot for the sealer, not on the little fins but where the 90 degree angle to the big flap (Fin) that lays on the outer body. when you do it this way it stops the water from entering rather than damming it in there to rust.
    One other thing that bothered me was the use of 3-M Bedding compound or silicone sealer. I've had to eat so many jobs because of those two products Bedding compound is a nice consistancy to apply and fairly easy to clean and I used it for many years. My problem came because my customers keep coming back and I found that 3-M Bedding compound turns to a chauky powder and cracks and leaks in about 1 year. I quit using all 3-M products. 35-40 years ago 3-M was the best on the market, now they are just the most expensive. and STAY AWAY FROM ALL SILICONE PRODUCTS!!
    look for something like true butyl.
    I was going to post this on the R&C message board (I'd never been there before) they had some thing like 15 posts in the last 6 months. So I brought this to the best board on the net.
    Hope this helps someone, and back to Pat (or is Pat on the Back)it's good info and well written.

2. alchemy

alchemy

Please go look at the actual product you use and read us the brand name and number. It's ALWAYS good to hear from a pro.

3. texastramp

texastramp

Yeah, what Alchemy said ............. can never quit looking for a better product

4. 440hudson

440hudson
    Alliance Vendor

He's old, he's crusty and noname speaks the truth. Volumes of knowledge locked up between those ears. Later, Bob

5. Roothawg

Roothawg