Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pro?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Norrie, Oct 25, 2006.

1. I am a professional fabricator. I say this not because of some level of ability I think I have reached or something, but because I get paid to work on other peoples cars and I can right my tools off on my taxes... period.
    Now, I get a little tired of people on this board bad mouthing pro built cars. I can understand and usually agree when most of us (note US) feel like some of these cars are cookie cutter, or that it took no real sacrifice to build or obtain these things. I know some of them cost more in parts than my house! But let's not forget where we came from...
    Don Gartlits...pro
    Kenneth Howard...pro
    Ed Roth...pro
    Cole Foster...pro
    Smokey Yunick...pro
    Please try to remember when you bad mouth some of these pro built cars, someone spent alot of time and thought on them even if it wasn't the owner. The last car Chip Foose won the Ridler with was absolutly amazing. Not my taste, but the craftsmanship was astounding. I have heard alot of people say, "you can by anything for the right price," ... no you can't. Even with all the money on the world, you need people with the ability and imaginaton to concieve of and build something like that and the list of people in the world with the patience to pull off something that flawless is a short list.

2. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

you wont hear me badmouthing guys that get to build stuff they love and get paid for it at the same time. i respect that a lot.

i actually dont see people slamming pros on here. i mostly see respect...

cheers,

-scott noteboom

3. skipstitch

skipstitch

Goldchainer! :) :) :) (Tongue planted FIRMLY in CHEEK)

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

who is bad mouthing pro built cars?

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. zealot9802

zealot9802
    from SoCal SFV

I think you misunderstood what he wrote.

7. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Norrie, I'm probably like most people in the forum. We get paid for other skills, and also have varying skills in automotive work. I'm sure there are a lot of pro's on here, but I doubt the majority are.

Bad mouthing someones decision is traditional. Ever since I pushed my first ignition button I've been opinionated about what I like. Same for others. You can't take this stuff too seriously.

I often kid people about this or that, and people kid me about decisions I've made. I think in a forum like this, the words are rather stark, and you lose how they are said. Even with all sorts of smily faces you can sometimes take someone as stepping over the line.

I think most people here respect craftsmanship, although they would rather it be on a "traditional" era piece. Whatever that is.

So have a beer and don't get too serious.

8. Dutch Bastard

Dutch Bastard

All hail the Pro Builder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hang the rich asshole yuppy havin it built!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shoot the rich asshole yuppy's kid that thinks VonDutch is a clothing designer from California!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:eek::p:rolleyes:

9. Ruiner

Ruiner

awwww, you need a hug Norrie...come to Lance's house for the Hallowhen? party on the 4th and I'll be sure to give you one...

PS. it was nice meeting you and lucky1974 at the swap, yous twos is a coupla cool cats...ya dig?...

10. czarcastetic

czarcastetic
    from Las Vegas

As soon as someone accepts payment for their work, criticism wont be far behind. If you cant take it(insert your own cliche here).
    What gets me is when people bash a guy who is doing his first build.
    But you'll stand up for Chip Foose. I dont get it.

11. I don't think anybody bashes the probilder. As said before he or she build cars all day long and get paid for it. - Must be any car builders dream - At least mine.
    I think the bashing comes in when the owner of a Pro built car, talkes down about a Home built car when he (as it often is) couldn't have build anything.
    (Hence he or she is paying to have it done)

Klaus

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Lessons gleaned from the HAMB this week:
    1. It is deeply shameful to purchase a tierod end lug for your rod from a pro shop.
    2. Exalted status may be attained by purchasing a completely undisturbed hotrod built by someone unknown in 1952.

13. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

what?

14. slamdpup

slamdpup

i think the only pro builder (shop) that gets bashed on here is boyd coddington ..but in my opin. he's not a builder ..he's a hot rod shop owner...oops i mean STREET ROD SHOP OWNER..never heard of any other pro's getting bashed on here..

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Well.....someone:rolleyes: was questioning Larry on WHY he was having his hot rod built by someone else........

I think it's smart of people to know their limitations, I know mine. I strive for the nicest, most well built cars I can obtain, which means most of the "important" part of the build MUST be done by someone else.....if I want it nice looking.:D

Besides, paying someone to do stuff that you can't keeps the economy going. I'm good at my job, make money, then spend my money on things that make me happy (my car), which in turn puts food on the table for someone else. It's a win-win situation for everyone involved.:cool:

16. .

Amen bro!!!! :D

17. My car(s) in the past have several qualified people involved with throwing it together, whether they are friends, strangers or just came to hold a beer. I farm out the tough stuff to the pro's and get advice from the very same on the stuff I can manage - so in some sense every car I've ever had has some significant elements pro built, whether I botched the rest or not.

To the Hines, Winfields and Ayalas of the world... keep cutting I'll try and take notes

Maybe the rub lies in the owners - there is a different mentality to an owner that honestly did what he could and one that "just" wrote a check.

s.

18. Retrorod

Retrorod

Denise has it right.

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Amen sista!

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

What'd I do now?...

I just had a Doctor remove a lesion from my face this AM...coulda done it myself, but I would have had to have spent a lot of time and $$$ learning how to do it...

Same with my coupe...I know I coulda built it myself, but it woulda cost me a lot of time learnin' the skills necessary, and a considerable amount of $$$ for all the tools...

I've built my fair share of Muscle Cars myself in my life...I am mechanically inclined, and I used to build airplanes for Boeing...I've got some skills...just not the ones needed to turn out a car of the caliber that I have now...

21. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Dude...I keep telling you pro builders suck, it all about s:ple.

Sincerely,

Lucky (I am not a professional builder, but I play one in my garage:D )

Attached Files:

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah fellas... I think I did a really poor job on that article. After reading this thread, I've pretty much confirmed that.

The point I was trying to get across was that it doesn't take expensive tools and skills to build a REALLY nice car. It takes passion. When you have both? Guys like Foster, Tardel, White, etc... Then some of our most impressive cars result...

Lets not forget that my a-coupe was built be a pro - Tardel. And I've seen Larry's 32 in person - It's incredible...

I just did a really poor job getting my point across. You fellas are right. I was wrong.

23. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Recognize your Limitations, your pocketbook,critique silently, learn from others and enjoy rodding in any way or form you choose.

24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Wow....and I thought the editiorial was RIGHT ON.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Well, the point of the article was not to say that pro builders don't build cool cars... The point was that talented home builders build cool cars.

26. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I think the home builder puts more heart and SOUL into a car built for themselves as opposed to a pro builder building one for someone else. Because that's what the home guy WANTS, he's ATTACHED to it. It's HIS car.
    The PRO built car may be of better fit and finish, but do they put as much heart and soul into a car they know is going to be sold.........maybe.....
    Do the PRO's get ATTACHED to a car being built for someone else???

Oh and BTW...I'm neither....not a pro OR a talented home builder...just an opinionated A-HOLE.........hahahaha

27. metalshapes

metalshapes

No.

I build Cars for a living and I didn't feel insulted.

There are lots of Pro's out there that are passionate enough about building cars that they are pretty much useless for any other kind of job.
    That doesn't make the Cars they build any worse.
    Having good tools doesn't either.

But some Pro Cars are built to a Formula.
    And that makes sense.
    Repeat what worked before, get quicker at it, more efficient, make more money.

THAT is what shows.
    That is where logic takes over some of the passion.
    And the finished Car will tell the tale...

28. ford.slaughter

ford.slaughter

was it said that a pro builder puts no hart into a car he has built?

if so i disagree. that's like saying pro builders are the boys that run away from their own new born babys, and don't look back. did you think maybe the builder became a "pro" because he enjoys the build more than the ownership? and not for the money.

29. Clark

Clark

Ryan...I think the difference is in the prefab stuff and actually making something and taking the time to make it right.

Take a pro shop or a garage guy that uses all prefabbed (bought) brackets and parts. I don't see much soul in those cars

Now take a pro shop or garage guy that spends an hour making a bracket or part just cause he wants it to look a certain way. That's soul!

I make a lot of stuff but there is a point when you will buy stuff. Take that whole bung post. Sure back in the day they used cut up tierods. I don't like that look. I don't know if it's cause every old bone I saw done this way either fell apart or looked like it was gonna fall apart. I'm sure it can be done right I just prefer the other way.

I don't know if I'm a pro or a garage guy. I've got a lot to learn and just love building cars. I could care less what you call me.
    Clark

30. Spark Plug

Spark Plug
    from Duvall, WA

I think your article was nuts on and I completely agree.

Cars that are built by builders, "pro" or self built, carry with them that heart and soul that inherrently gets built into it through the process. Those cars I can stand and look at that car and all the details for hours. Where as, for lack of a better term, the "turn-key" Boyd built type just don't pull me in like the others do!