Register now to get rid of these ads!

So I found a stash of parts today....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tcoupe, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

It all started with a tip from a friend of some model A's that are visible from the road, shit I've got nothing to do so me and my buddy drive 60 miles to try and hunt this stuff down. Going only off vague directions we arrive in the described vicinity....I see nothing but a bunch of large propane tanks...but wait...I see something...yes, its a square back pickup...28-29...it has doors!!! oh shit! oh shit!...I am very happy. After driving around looking for an enterance, we realize this place is abandoned or looks that way...but it is chock fucking full of old stuff (its very overgrown, but you can make out bits and pieces). I drive nextdoor to the co-op and very kindly ask a older gent if he knows anything about the old stuff, he was very friendly, but literally laughed in my face...he gave me a quick run down of the history...owner of gas company, buys all kinda shit, stores in yard, never sold a damn thing, the whole city knows its a goldmine. I was then pointed in the direction of a salvage yard about 5 miles away...they might have what yer lookin for....upon arrival at the very large salvage yard I feel my heart rate pick up again...I see 3 30-31 sedans (2 doors) a 37 ford 5 window, and some old pickups...all look like they have been in the same spot for 30 years. Again the owner was friendly, but laughed at the idea that I thought he might have some doors for my T, he pointed to a far corner of the yard...as we walked I spotted a 26-27 T sedan and some mid to late thirtys 2 doors with the tops cut off...the corner stash is quite big...lots of cowls (A's and T') a whole stack of quarter panels (mostly sedans) 2 rows of doors (no T's though) and a few odds and ends. I found a weird looking cowl...it was from a roadster but had holes where the windshield post went down into the inner body, I thought it would be a good start on a roadster...so after looking around for a while I ask the owner "Frog" about the cowl...Frog says..."ahhh I was wantin ta keep tha one (he says its Buick)...but anything else if for sale". Great!...I offer a trade for the cowl, no go...ok..I really want the cowl...how much?...still no. So me and Frog chat for a while, he too has a 26 T coupe, with doors too...it is totally wasted, far worse than mine...$500, Im now getting discouraged and Frog tells me he's about to close, so I offer him a wad of cash for the cowl...no! Ok...sorry about the long story, but I want to let anyone know where this stuff is, maybe someone is more interested in it than I am and would take the time to liberate it...who knows. Westville, Oklahoma is the place...its on OK 59..about 30 miles west of Fayettville, AR if you take 62. the abandoned "goldmine is right on 59 big propane tanks outside the fence, Frogs place is Adkins salvage. Anyone else heard or been to these places?

2. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

hey, cool find! If im ever down south ill have to check ol' frog out!

3. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

That sounds cool. So was the place you saw from the road the same place as the salvage yard?

4. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

no...two different places about 5 miles apart. Apperently the place on 59 is just a personal collection that the owner refuses to sell anything from...I figured this from the reaction of asking a few people around the area and all of them basically laughing at the latest kid trying to buy some of the old stuff. Frog had alot of frames too...looked like model A's, and a 28-31 roadster rolling body and frame...its not for sale though [​IMG].

5. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

So were is the owner of the private owned one?

6. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

I interrogated some of the older people, thinkin they have probly been around long enough to have any info on the stuff, but like I said they all just laughed. The only guy that bothered talking to me about the place was missing half his teeth...but only on one side of his face...this was really a disturbing image, so while he was rambling on about how long the stuff has sat there all I could think about was...did this guys mouth rot away or did he get smoked by an errant coil spring, he had no info...I think he was drunk anyway. I might add that the front row on 59 is lined with about 7 or 8 late 20's to early 30's pickups, but there is a fence and alot more can be seen in the distance. If I get a chance I will go back and take some pics...hopefully I wont get shot.

7. JamesG

JamesG

Damn bro, I'm in Little Rock, Arkansas. Hook me up!!! Seriously though, do you know about the nutjob in Malmelle, just west of North Little Rock? This guy has stuff from the 60's down to the 20's! Coupes, sedans, wagons, woodies, trucks of all years, Nomad, Safaris. Shit you name it he has it. But the real kicker is that he wolt sell S_H_I_T!!!! Hes wacked! I went out there looking for the center grill tooth for my 48 Desoto. Him and couple of other guys were standing around the bed of this truck. I told him who i was and what I needed. He say "Yea, I one out there" ("OUT THERE") yea this is a treasure trove! Anyway I say ok, can I go take a look? He say "I too busy now" Hes standing around this damn truck not doing shit! Long story short he says that he "Dont have no phone and dont bal'eve In'em" GREAT! Now what. This old fart has the one and only damn part that I need and he wont unass it!!!

I HATE people like him. Damn they are messing up our hobby! Anyway give me a shout so we can talk.

Ok, I'm done venting now.........NEXT!

8. You guys should contact the local council,s and ask what
    the plan,s are for abandoned salvage yard,s. These place,s
    get bulldozed in no time once the owner passes away and
    the rest of the family (if there is any) want to see some
    money and head of to FL.

9. autocol

autocol

[ QUOTE ]
    I HATE people like him. Damn they are messing up our hobby!

[/ QUOTE ]

you ever considered that, if he wasn't like that, there'd be nothing there for you to pull your cock over?

[ QUOTE ]
    You guys should contact the local council,s and ask what
    the plan,s are for abandoned salvage yard,s. These place,s
    get bulldozed in no time

[/ QUOTE ]

are you SERIOUS? you really want to tell the local council that a whole shitload of worthless, unsightly JUNK (read:TREASURE) is out there rusting and polluting and generally being old! AND tell them where it is? that's a grand idea! they'll go out there, bulldoze the lot, crush it, no-one will ever restore it, and it will all be lost...

honestly, WHY would you do THAT!?

10. Nailhead Red

Nailhead Red

Hey Bro !!! I m the new Kat in this HAMB forum. Sorry to hear about the the blown gasket in yer heart!!! I too know what it feels to get excited over such a field of gold only to get shut down like a thrown rod when the worm decides to discourage ya by being a total ass monkey!!! I'm not sure if you guys already know but there is a place called Model T Haven on the net www.modelthaven.com they have hella T parts and some A parts also!!! They got good pics of their stuff!!! i have ordered many parts from them and they have always been pretty cool to me!!! I have a 27 Tall T 5-Window coupe I'm bulding right now Dropping a 401 Buick Nailhead YEEEAAHH !!! hope this will help ya !!!

Laters fo now,
    Chops

11. DanO

DanO
    Alliance Vendor
    from Neosho, MO

Man, I've been past that stuff hundreds of times and never knew it was there (I used to run a route through that area). We still have some accounts in the Westville area. Westville is about 70 miles South of here. I may go down and give it a try.

12. recycler

recycler

Damn it Tcoupe. Did ya have to tell everyone where Adkins is? I've been going there for 8 years and now the secret is out! Just kidding. Actually, Frog isn't the owner he's the head man when the owner is gone.He is better to deal with than Gene Adkins, the owner. Yes the gold mine in Westville is Famous around here. I lived 5 miles from Westville until 5 months ago. I now live about 25 miles away. When that old man kicks off his kids will have a huge auction to sell that stuff. They don't give a rats ass about any of it. A wise auction service will no doubt advertise nationally and I won't be able to buy a thing.
    I didn't know so many HAMBers lived in my neck of the woods ( Siloam Springs, AR) We need to get together some time to drink beer and tell lies. Brad

13. JamesG

JamesG

Hey Recycler. JAmes here in Little Rock. Kool to see some local HAMBER's. Hell yea bro, we should all get together and have a real Rockabilly Hootnanny. Hell I evan have a band! We play everything from Hank Sr. to Type O Negative!

14. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I agree with Autocol, some of you guys are thinking like women-- no thinking, just going on emotions.

The stuff in the one yard is probably not abandoned, it is someone's private collection. The one guy just told you who owned it-- the gas company guy.

Next thing you know some punks are going to be cutting a hole in the fence to go steal some of his stuff. Just like where I store my '40 in San Bernardino, there's about 200 unrestored collector cars there, either whole cars or parts cars-- well, some punks hopped the fence and stole all the toothed DeSoto grilles, because, well, "they were just sitting there with no one doing anything with them" kind of attitude. I'm afraid to leave my good fenders and windshield reveal moldings out there because of punk thieves like this.

Go find the owner and ask him, don't even get any ideas about the cars actually being abandoned.

15. JamesG

JamesG

Your right, butits easy to get bitter. If I were you I'd put that 40 in a monthly storage place. But I dont know your situation, thats just what I would do. That is a bummer though about your grill teeth. My biggest beef about people like the guy here in Arkansas is that they are letting all of these resorable cars sit out in the weather to oneday becouse un-restorable cars. Down here in the south the weather is not very forgivable. Shit rusts here!

16. recycler

recycler

One of my best freinds has lived his whole life in Westville. It is a small town.Until the man dies it will sit and rot.I have heard that an old Indian motorcycle among other things have been stolen from the property. It is right besaide an abandonded Motel he owns. It is along a busy highway and it is easy to see. Only a barbed wire fence. The reason I don't think anyone is robbing it is because the thorns and thicket are so thick in there you'll need chainsaws to get anywhere but the front row.Most theives are lazy.
    The whole thing is just a shame.

17. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

1low...I havent heard of the Mamelle place, its probably like alot of other peoples front yards around here.

Nailhead...lets see some pics of your T, I've got a 26 5 window myself.

DanO...you cant miss the place, large propane tanks outside the fence.

Recycler...Looks like more and more Arkys are coming out of the woodwork, wish we had a yearly gathering around here so the minoritys (traditional hotrodder) could get together..."Hangin Dice" anyone?

Blownolds...I have absolutly zero respect for a thief, but its gonna happen, maybe not as bad in some places. I know of guys who would pop hoods on trucks, get in and have a buddy close it, steal all kinda shit from the motors, then have the buddy come back and let em out. If someone hasnt already jumped the fence in Westville and helped themselves I would be very surprised.

18. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

you should have offered that guy some redman chaw for it...he must really like it by the sounds of his teeth

19. JamesG

JamesG

Yea the old duy in Mamelle is kinda hidden. you can only see his stuff in the winter when all of the leafs are off the trees. Thats when I go tin hunting! You know that your getting close to his place when you start hearing the Duelin Banjo's playin! About the traditionalist here we really all need to hookup. Hell I'v already started thinking up some names for our local group of RiftRafs!

20. Hey autocol, come on, do you really think that municipal
    councils don,t know about large auto stashes out in the
    boondocks.

21. Michigan Rick

Michigan Rick
    from Owosso Mi.

Do you guys know Bill Clinton??????

22. I have been to Sonny's (Mamelle) a few times. He was stand-off-ish at first but I guess I wore him down He is one of these guys that you have to talk to and listen to before he will even want to deal.. I was told that the older, beat-up looking ride you come in with also forms an opinion with him. I always go in my Uni PU, is a conversation starter as well.

Now he does not have any golden stuff there (any longer/if he ever did).. and many things that are of vintage "belong to someone else". 50's 4 doors, and various 60's vintage cars are what he has left that could be of use body wise. He does have piles of stuff all over though, but he is hinkey about anyone going through them.

23. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you guys know Bill Clinton??????

[/ QUOTE ]
    Never heard of him.

24. hilbillyjim1948

hilbillyjim1948
    from australia

I agree in Australia last year a large steel company comisioned commercials in all country areas to promote farmers to sell any "scrap cars"etc to smorgon steel for recycling to feed the giant demand from China ,with a promise that $12 per tonne will be donated to the local country fire brigades,and this campagn has destroyed thousands of rare cares so far ,making it harder to find good tin down under,the stupid thing is that if the farmers were to sell to guys like us they would make a lot more money than to the scrap yards....so dont contact the local government just keep going back until you get what you want....that is your best bet ,and i dont think id be tellin anyone where it is cause for sure theyll be the ones who get the stuff you wanted ....sound a bit greedy? FUCK YEAH!!!

25. I've been in Sonny's too. Ya gotta look like you are gonna use the parts your self and not trying to make a buck off him. Went in several years ago looking for window trim on 50 GM pu, Hell he took one side off while I did the other side. 8 bucks!

26. PSYCHOMOTO

PSYCHOMOTO

i grew up in elkins(by fayettville) i travel up from texas to see family all the time and have found some kool shit on the way.....

hers one for the northwest ar.locals...when i was a kid there was a guy off a main hwy on the outskirts of fayettville that had (i think)about 20 56 ford crown vics with the plexi roofs...is he still around

27. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

ive been watching and trying to get in there for 25 years .the old man that owns this place also owns the land across the road from my grandparents .my grandpa asked if he would sell the land ..he said he was taking it with him when he dies.....as for the yard full of cars theres some really good stuff in ther you should see it in the winter ...no leafs or bushes!!!.i deal with atkins ,they are good people...the story goes that when the old man dies they are going to start selling.heard some stuff has been moved.theres a 69 gto that has 9 miles on it.it fell off a transport truck.besides the stuff you can see from the road there is supposted to be a building full of cars....

28. PSYCHOMOTO

PSYCHOMOTO

A Building Full??????? Dont Just Leave Us Hangin