Register now to get rid of these ads!

first smoke intitial fire up /6 mit 6 carbs video

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dolmetsch, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Managed to upload a video my wife took of the first firing of my /6 dragster project. http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=196948&cdate=20061016&ctime=174053

Dont forget to turn up the volume. Surprisingly even with roughed in setting it idled. Looks like it is going to work. Carbs are six snowmobile units (Tillotson HD series) Chassis is about 1/2 done . Roll bar and back section will be last cause i want to be comfortable.
    Don

2. RocketMan

RocketMan

I like your car man!
    It sounds great. What engine did you use?
    What trans. and rear?

3. Bugman

Bugman

That's neat :)

4. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

very cool, great job...i would love to see more pic of that slant 6 setup....

5. pistinbroke

pistinbroke

Nice, will it be gracing our humble track at Shannonville next season?? I would love to see it run.

6. Engine is a slant 6. It is bored .140" oversize and 194 chev pistons were fitted (Just required a minor hone of the piston pin bores)
    That gives 244 cubes. Head is ported for a bit of swirl which stabilizes the port and homebrew (from another engine) valves of 1.84 /1.5 were installed. Engine was converted to hydraulic cam using 81 stuff and a Racer brown grind hydraulic ssh25 was installed. Head was also planed 070" and final compression ratio is just over 10:1. Engine has a windage tray and a hi volume oil pump. Comp cams 911 srings were installed along with special retainers and keepers (HK215). Intake which can be viewed on my senior dragster website was homebrewed and uses 6 Snowmobile carbs (Tillotson HDs) They have been modified for use with external fuel pump and regulator. it was my desire to try this carb setup that made me build the whole deal
    Don

7. I hope so! That is the plan.

8. Sorry
    Trans is an automatic (904) Diff is mid 60s Dodge which i narrowed before I knew about HAMB rules. Car willl be legal NHRA IHRA so I guess it doesnt matter. Gears are 3.91
    No chrome of any kind will be allowed on the car. Nice paint though is mandatory
    Don

9. pistinbroke

pistinbroke

I might have to stop by and see it in person before next season. It's been a while since I had you fix my last holly, maybe I'll need to break another so I have an excuse!!! (LOL) Seriously though, that it a neat looking set up.

10. You dont need an excuse. just make sure I am home.
    Don

11. pistinbroke

pistinbroke

I sent you a pm Don. Talk with you soon.

12. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

man u need a sound man

13. Ratt. You,re right!
    Unfortunately you dont get much camera for 49 bucks and the little six in the garage overdrives the mike in the camera. To be honest i was so glad it worked i didnt worry about the sound. Have thought about this project for over 30 years. Now i have it working so i am happy! Can relax now and work away till spring
    Don

14. Looks real boss; wish my computer had sound.

But I'm too f*****n cheap to do anything about it...

If I remember right, I ran across your web page with some auto math/science on it. Not surprised to find y'all here on the HAMB.

BTW, you might find a few guys around here who'd be interested to hear (and see) a little more about the white car in the background. '62 B-body?

Keep up the great work!

-bill

15. Thanks Bill,
    I guess you mean the POLYTEK page on my sympatico website. It is still there.
    The white car is a 63 Dodge 440 series (NOT 440 engine)
    It was originally a small block car (313/318) but i installed a 426 Max Wedge that i built along with a pushbutton 64 BB trans . The 426 i got into when I bought my milling machine . That shop had a set of heads under the bench for 20 plus years that some guy brought in but never returned for. I could not believe they were Max Wedges but they were the real thing. I repaired the heads and by then found a 426 wedge marine block. I got a set of JE pistons from Mazolini in Calif and used a 440 crank and rods. (crank is the same , 440 rods are better than 426 MW.) I used a racer brown cam (Hydraulic)and got an rare Nascar single fourbarrel Max Wedge intake from Richard Kuhn in New Port Ritchie Florida. Same intake you see on the wall in Garlits' museum. Dynamic donated a 9 1/2 inch street converter of 3800 stall. which actually drives like a stocker till you ask for stall. It has a set of 3.91s turning 285 75R 15 BFGs. It is fun to drive. Have now driven it 32,000 miles since restoration. usually 5 to 6000 miles per year. Thanks for asking.
    Don

16. This ol thing?

Attached Files: