Register now to get rid of these ads!

A radiator in the Fly?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Oct 23, 2006.

?
  1. Yes, it's more practical...and won't hurt the look

50 vote(s)
    52.1%
  2. Maybe if you hide it in the rear of the car somewhere...

34 vote(s)
    35.4%
  3. Are you smoking crack? No, not ever, you'd ruin the look of the car

12 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Been contemplating the installation of a radiator in the Fly. The good racing events are getting bigger and better and more of them. I think maybe for practicality I should install some sort of radiator system. The problem is I am afraid it will ruin the look. So here's a poll for all you poll takers ( not pole smokers).

2. Django

Django
    from Chicago

How does a rad make it more practical?

3. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

is it a requirement at the bigger events ?? are you having cooling problems or are you hoping to cruise it some at some of these events so you can enjoy it more

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Why would you do that? It runs on alcohol. I figured you would have a difficult time even reaching a normal gasoline-engine "operating temperature" with it.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I only have water in the block. I don't have a lot of time to tune on the car before it gets too hot. If I were at a bigger event and they had back to back eliminations. I would be screwed because the car won't cool down that fast between rounds. It's not on alcohol either. It's on gas. We thought we could get more time from the alcohol but it's only cooler on the first start up, after that heat is heat.......

6. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

You wouldn't need a chase vehicle to pull you around and wouldn't have to mess with cooling it between rounds. Plus you'd be able to do more runs. Makes sense to me. The Fly will still be badass no matter where you put it.

7. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

what about rear mount?

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm trying to figure that one out. It may get too hot inside the cab.

9. 30roadster

30roadster

at the HAMb drags he and his Pop hooked up an external water pump and radiator between runs so he could cool it off. Practical would be not having to do that! put a radiator in it Chris....it would give you a reason for a cool custom grill.

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

'64-66 Mustang radiator 3-row, small, light and cheap.
    It'll look fine.

11. How about a link to more info. You have 9000+ posts to wade through!

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sorry. Injected 265, roller cam, doublehump heads, powerglide tranny with a 10" convertor in a 1929 Ford Tudor sedan. Running water int he block with no pump, no radiator, no fan, no hoses, no belts........

Attached Files:

13. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

small aluminum radiator and elec pump is the answer, and paint it black and it will then be traditional or hey, flake it, yeah a flaked radiator, now that is traditional as hell dude..........:cool:

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Haha...flaked

15. DrJ

DrJ

It's a race car isn't it?
    Whatever makes it RUN BETTER is what should be done.
    Having a controllable engine temperture is at least theoretically going to help you to tune for optimum power.
    Plus, you won't have to go thru the cool down routine in the pits any more.

Basides..You need some weight up there to keep the front wheels from only steering air. :cool:

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

DO IT !
    Make it a fun car, not a WORK car...

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

Now to convince the hard headed one.......ya'll know who I am talking about.

18. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

First to admit I have no clue what I am talking about but could 1 or 2 strategicly placed tranny coolers do it?

19. What about running some lines off a water pump to a box inside the car that has 3 or 4 little heater cores in it all plumbed in series...you could mount a small elec. fan on one side to blow past all the cores at once...

20. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

You could always run an electric pump to keep the front clean and run a duel electric fan radiator in the back. Put it on a switch so, you only run it when you have to. I see you have a battery for the starter. And you don't need it for the mageto. And then you won't have to change out your fuel pump assembly. You don't even have to run large hoses with an electric. And a small radiator with the right fans will cool plenty. No grill or other bullshit to deal with. I do like the look of the car. I would say keep it that way. If you like it then screw the poll.

21. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I voted. I say add the radiatior. And If you're going to do it do it with no apologies. Hiding it would be... wierd.

It would look just fine setting behind a perforated piece of aluminum. Something similar to KCTA Chris' coupe.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

I was thinking of having a blue piece of plexi to match the windows that is striped etc. Just for a cover when it is on the trailer or not running. A lot of the old drag cars in the 60's used to run em.

23. Crease

Crease

Im no super genius, but that may run a little warm. Just kidding, I like the hidden radiator idea. However, it would look just fine with one right where it belongs.

24. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

mount the rad. up front

nothing wrong with that and everyone knows how hard you have worked on that car.

still bad-ass any way you go!

25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Stop smoking crack....no way.

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

ha ha ..Hey Root:)

28. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Do you have room to mount a small radiator flat on top of the frame, then hide an electric fan underneath?

29. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

The best thing I ever did to my dragster(127"FED),was put in a small Honda radiator. I used an electric fan,stock waterpump(sbc). Never again needed a tow to the line,or a tow on the return. Don't hide it, or fake it. Flatblack it, and it will throw off heat faster. It won't hurt the look at all, there is only one DRAGONFLY

30. Roothawg

Roothawg

I dunno. That was kinda what I meant by hiding it. I was gonna mount it under the floor in the rear of the car but I think it might work better up front.