Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone here use Portawalla White Side Wall instead of real WW Tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ozzie, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie

Hello all, Just came across this on ebay while I was looking for White Wall Radials for my 15x6 steel rims. They are just the white part, made by Atlas and you supposively deflate the tire, break the bead, insert these and re-inflate.
    How the outer side stays stuck to the tire is beyond me. Anyone?

Ozzie
    Miami

2. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Yep maybe 45 or 50 years ago. Always had a problem scraping them off on curbs. :) :D

3. 53Chebby

53Chebby

They work ok on bias-ply tires I guess except for the aforementioned curb checking and wear on the edges of them. THey look like hell on radials though with the sag of the new tires. Not really a good alternative to whitewall radials, but that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

4. alviso

alviso

we used a set of those atlas brand on my kids vw.they have only been on a few months,.he's got radials & I was afraid they wouldnt lay flat to the tire
    but so far they look good.I have heard too that if you curb one your screwed.

5. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I ran them for a summer before I coughed up the dough for real whitewalls. I ran them on radials. By the time the summer was over, the heat and flexing gave me a worn out set of raised brown letter port-o-walls. It letterally burned the tire lettering into the port-o-walls! It also wore groves in the sidewalls of the radials, pretty much screwing up a good set of tires too! I'd save a little longer and buy a set of real whitewalls. If your looking at radials, and you can't afford a set of Cokers, at least buy Diamondbacks.

6. Bugman

Bugman

There's the big problem with them. They will eventually wear away teh sidewall making the tire unsafe. They also have a tendancy to explode at highway speeds...

If you're on the cheap, give the grinding or painting methods of making WWWs a try. A search will yield How To threads on both methods. Both methods give adiquate results with little or no money invested.

7. Ozzie

Ozzie

Thanks for all the advice and comments. Real Radials it is. I've read a bunch on Diamondback and then a bunch on Cokker. Any preference... and here's a good one....

On my 23T custom being built. I was wondering if there is any advantage or cosmetic advantage to having a dual sided wide white walls on the front? Since you'll be able to see both sides on a T. And if I get those (available from Diamondback), would the insides get way too dirty? It's gonna be a daily driver, 30 miles roundtrip to and from work. Disk brakes all around.

Thanks in advance....

Ozzie

8. Bugman

Bugman

You're an alliance member, I'd suggest the Cokers because they make a fine tire and offer an Alliance discount...

On the double sided thing, I wouldnt think the inside would get any dirtier than the outside would.

9. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

They will get worn and start to flap on the highway and then as said above fly apart at high speed.

10. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

I had some on a VW I had years ago, did the job, and looked good.

I did get a flat and the porta-wall was toast, shredded right up.

11. swimeasy

swimeasy

Fake is always not right.save up and buy real tires.Two sided whites would look to busy. My outlook only.

12. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

YES that's your outlook only!i for one and NEVER going to buy "real" whitewalls!maybe hot rods have more emphesis on functionality than kustoms,but there's PLENTY of fake stuff in both worlds and it doesnt matter as long as it's what YOU like.go ahead and do a search,OZZIE,this has been discussed before so no need to bring it up again.
    creepy