Register now to get rid of these ads!

who's done it? rustoleum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ***Area-51***, Oct 20, 2006.

1. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

yeah i know its been brought up before.....who has used rustoleum
    on their chassis and how well has it held up?

2. I used it on my chassis, silver looks old when you put it on. been on for a couple years now....takes forever to dry.

3. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

I use the brush on paint....holds up like nobodys buisiness

4. in Nov. 2002, I bought a rolling 1965 Chev chassis that had been spray can painted ( I don't know with what) in 2000 and left outside, uncovered until I bought it in 2002. It did have light surface rust coming thru the spray paint. I wire brushed and sanded the frame and brush painted the frame with all my leftover cans of Rust O Leum. The frame went back outside, uncovered and was subjected to snow, rain, hail, heat, sunbaked and freeze dried until now. None of the surface rust has reappeared, the gloss paint has dulled and the flat paint has dulled. I didn't think that the Rust O Leum would protect and hold up as well as it did. But, it hasn't been subjected to any road use. It's back in the garage for fresh Rust O leum and a driveline. Progress!!

5. I have painted three cars complete with it, and alot of suspension parts with it. It does take a little longer to dry but is pretty durable finish.

CBB

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I used it by spray cans for years, looks and holds up good

7. Berky

Berky

I did a frame with the silver paint in a quart. I sprayed it on with a paint gun and it looked really good when it was done, but it only held up for a year. I started getting little rust spots coming up through the paint now.

8. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

works good, try some of the universal enamel hardener from Tractor Supply (TSC) to make it dry faster.

9. rusty210

rusty210

I just painted my camper with tractor supply paint using my spray gun. Looks good and seems to be a tough finish.

10. 31Rodder

31Rodder

three years and it's still holding up, I just used the rattle can.

11. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

i do use it a lot for misc.small parts ....i also use on harley heads and cases with great results, that should tell me alot right there....been considering applying flat black with a sponge brush on the complete chassis...sponge brush works great with por15, but never tried it rustoleum, thanks for the replies

12. jimdillon

jimdillon

I just sprayed some two weeks ago on a chassis and it dried quickly and looks great. The RustOleum I bought was the black at Home Depot for $25 a gallon and I used some flatenner and some acetone. My friends told me I was crazy because it took so long to dry but for whatever reason it dried within an hour or so and I went and finished painting the balance under the car. It worked well for me and I am planning on using it on the some other of my suspension parts. Has the right sheen and as a driver I believe it should hold up reasonably well-Jim

13. I have used it....
    I painted my shop"car" :) on the side of my building with gloss red and satin black...I thinned it with[20%] fast dry laquer thinner.
    I then sprayed both colors over a rustoleum primer....
    The red has faded to a patina look, but the satin black looks perfect after 4 years outside and no washing at all.....total paint cost -
    34 dollars.....priceless!:D

Attached Files:

14. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

satin black rusto, mixed with acitone and shot it!! looked great.

[​IMG]

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Rustoleum and acetone on my A truck in 1999 and it still looks great.

16. swimeasy

swimeasy

I have read on this board more than once that if Rustolium were not marketed to the masses that it would cost as much as some of the high dollar stuff @ the pro supplers. I like what you guys are saying because it is about time to paint my frame(1927 rpu) and any money I can save can be used on flathead parts or ???!

17. Eisenfaust

Eisenfaust
    BANNED

It will work well *IF* you do good prep work -and- USE LOTS OF PAINT...

18. Black and white Rustoleum used on the panel truck seems to hold up well.

Attached Files:

19. drkgrn57

drkgrn57
    from rowlett,tx

I have used the stuff for years. Have the brush on black on my frame and semi gloss spray everywhere else.

20. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

semi-gloss blue on the coupe, looks pretty good and seems to be holding up just fine.

[​IMG]

21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I used it on my 32BB stake trucks chassis 10 yrs ago. It's about time for a re-do has done very well for being neglected for all those years.
    I used the semi-gloss black for it. I may do something alittle different this time & mix the gloss with the semi in a 50/50 ratio and see if a get a factory style job on it.
    FYI, the decklid on my deuce with the logo was done with a little mix of red oxide & gloss black in order for it to hold up in the sun here in So-Cal. No garage for that sucker, she stays out 365 & a 1/4 now.
    The red oxide is fading on the bod,but the deck lid is holding up pretty well.
    IMHO- It's the best Hot Rod Paint for the money!

22. PSYCHOMOTO

PSYCHOMOTO

I Use Dthe Bruch On Rustoleum On The Rack Of My Glass Truck And It Held Up Great Even After 2 Years In The Bay Area

23. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

I used the red primer stuff on the tube frame under my dry lakes modified and it has survived three trips to Bonneville towing the race bike and no rust is showing anywhere. The salt there will eat thru just about everything, but not the primer, but the salt does stain the stainless steel exhaust tips on my pickup tho.

24. roddinron

roddinron

I would also suggest you look into rustoleum HAMMER FINISH for a frame, I painted the entire underside of my 53 stude and it looks great. What I like about the hammer finish is that it has glass in it, and is supposed to seal out moisture better. Eastwood used to sell it under it's old name Hammerite before rustoleum took them over, and said it could be used right over rust, kinda like POR 15 but cheaper. It dries to a nice hard gloss hammer finish that you mat not like if it's going to show and your set on flat paint, but I like the way it looks.
    I use it on a lot of outdoor stuff and it works really well.

25. Muttley

Muttley

Yes it does.

[​IMG]

26. hdv32

hdv32

Tried this on a hood for a quick job and got some "splotches" anyone ever tried to hit it with 1500 wet/dry to even it out? Not that bad in the garage, but I see it in the light. Does it flatten it out? This is satin black from the can if that helps.

27. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

The best thing for satin black stripes is age, use, and some hand washing. They'll even out with time. To avoid them, put on a thicker second coat. Work edge to edge once with 100% heavy coverage and don't go back for touch ups. Good Luck!

28. nick_s

nick_s
    from Ohio

excellent results, as said, the red fades or chalks slightly over time. But i have used the blacks, yellow and white with no troubles.

29. I brushed the Rustolem Damp Proof Red Primer and the Gloss Black topcoat on the frame of my 51F1 4 years ago and it has help up well. It has faded a little and isn't quiet as durable as some of the newer stuff (POR - Rust Bullet). They seem to be superior but they cost 10 times more for a gallon also.

30. Jason455

Jason455

I used gloss black on my frame a satin on the body The satin started fading after 1 1/2 years. I just used some armor all and it looked new again.