Register now to get rid of these ads!

-Slightly O/TRumor Control and a Life Change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimA, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Anyone else thinking Jim should start his own mag?

Matt

2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Hey Tito, I'm not looking to get strapped to a desk again anytime soon. I have listened very carefully over the last 5 years and the predictions of people like Ryan cannot be ignored. I have some very well put together plans that will entertain and serve a great number of us. Announcements will be made VERY soon as I was already making plans after they made their first cuts a few months ago and I was given the heads up that I was spared by some fast talking from the people that realized my value to the company. I won't sit idle and wait for someone to come knocking- on to the next adventure!!!! Thanks, Jim

3. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Outsourcing is the trend and in publishing world it means freelancing. Good stories with excellent photos and magazines are buying your stuff screaming. That´s been my plan for a while... Never tried though... Good luck on your way.

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

you'll win that argument, go ahead an start a new one :D

count me in for a rag subscription Jim, WHEN, not if you start one LOL :D:cool:

5. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

beancounters suck...one thing to ALWAYS remember, 9 out of 10, you cannot save your way to a profit.

6. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

All the best Jim. This may be a good opportunity for you to persue your own dream. Keep us posted and good luck.

7. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

we enjoyed it. great great success with whatever you do..

8. zealot9802

zealot9802
    from SoCal SFV

Good luck and have fun with what ever you decide to do. Thats what its about. Cheers

9. Always remember, shit happens for a reason. With your talent, and "real world" background, something huge is bound to be right around the corner.

It sucks when the "stiffs in suits" just don't get it. And unfortunately that seems to be a reoccurring theme in corporate America today.

Maybe it is time to chase that original dream?:rolleyes:

Stay Kool,
    Jim K.

P.S. I just got my Jan. (Americruise) issue. It looks awesome! Thanks for the kind words and cover shot! They're gonna miss you at R&C!

10. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Recognitioned earned for an amazing competitor! You came to win and that showed. Congratulations and thanks for the encouragement, Jim

11. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I have to say , "that sucks!!!"

I have enjoyed your input in R & C, but I am sure you take your talent and desire to another level.

I had fun hangin out this summer in Lincoln.

jeff

12. Clark

Clark

I subscribed this year cause the magazine was looking good. Now I fear it will go downhill again.
    Good luck in your new adventure!
    Clark

13. old kid

old kid
    Member Emeritus
    from middle ga

you're a class act jim, i'm shure you will do well where ever you go.
    good luck
    dan

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Wow, I just noticed the news and read all the stuff in the thread.

I'm shocked and disappointed at your departure from R&C -- and as you know, I've been a reader of the magazine since the very first copy of "Rods and Customs". I'll miss your contribution in the magazine as much as a very few guys who left in the distant past.

I wish you the best in finding a new gig that you really find interesting, and that we'll enjoy reading what you have to say.

I don't think we've heard anything from Kevin Lee on the subject of your departure, have we? I'm curious what he has to say.

Good luck, buddy.
    Tony

15. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Maybe you will read about it in a few months. ;)

16. R&C Lee

R&C Lee
    from SoCal

I’ve kept from responding because this is about Jim. Jim and I go back several years. I hired him for his first professional magazine gig and worked to get him back from Goodguys. I was not only Jim’s boss but consider him a friend. I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago but I was completely unprepared and surprised which is why when I first heard of some possible situations a few months back I warned him so he could prepare himself as best as possible. We fought hard to make our case that Jim was an asset to R&C but in the end we weren’t able to keep him. Hopefully Jim will continue to be an asset as a freelance contributor. Although I may not have all the answers I believe that when things settle down the reason this happened will be clear. It was not due to any performance or personal issues we had with Jim. If something opened up he is on the top of the list of people I would call.

For those that are afraid the magazine will suddenly go down hill, it sounds like I must have been out of the office for the last two years. I wouldn’t worry too much about that as we still have some guys around that know what they’re doing and turning it into another Street Rodder is not in the plans. Hopefully Jim will play some part in that future as he certainly has much to contribute.

17. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I've always posted that it was a team deal- and so far in my entire working career that R&C team was the best one I was ever on (even though a previous team with R&C Lee and ShortBus was a TON of fun). I am confident that R&C will carry on and only get better with Kevin who is a very good friend with nearly identical taste to mine. He is the quieter of the two of us, but no less focused on a quality traditional format magazine. I've seen some of the things coming up with Aaron Kahan involved and it's great stuff- and Kevin has made it clear that I will continue to be involved well into the future as long as he has the reigns.

18. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Hey will we see the final in your chassis tech?

19. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Yeah, it's coming!

20. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Like Fast Eddie used to say, "Jobs are like taxicabs, there's always another one waiting around the corner." (Actually he said that about women, but it applies to jobs too.)

pigpen

Rock on; rock on; rock on!

[​IMG]

21. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I remember watching him do that and almost fell. He wasn't holding his mouth right or he would have gone faster.

B:rolleyes:B

22. Don't worry Jim, you'll make more money freelancing anyway. :)

BTW, sent you a PM.